Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Be sure to tell the retention center people how great you have heard DirecTV is.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After the retention center never called me back this morning I called them.

The lady seemed almost horrified and got me on the package I was promised, but for $20 more than originally promised. She waived equipment fees for my modem and the box in my bedroom and she backdated the plan 3 months so I'll receive credit for the difference on my next bill.

The next time I change my package (I had a simaler experience the last time, but not to this extent) it'll just be to cancel everything all together and get a new package with Direct TV assuming I don't cut the cord all together. As a matter of fact I'll probably work on the set up to do just that in the mean time.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
HBO should be pushing that traffic through their website which already can authenticate properly and bypass these cunt bags entirely. Not sure if it's some obscure contract language or hbo being cheap on their servers but it's a stupid problem to be having.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
After the retention center never called me back this morning I called them.

The lady seemed almost horrified and got me on the package I was promised, but for $20 more than originally promised. She waived equipment fees for my modem and the box in my bedroom and she backdated the plan 3 months so I'll receive credit for the difference on my next bill.

The next time I change my package (I had a simaler experience the last time, but not to this extent) it'll just be to cancel everything all together and get a new package with Direct TV assuming I don't cut the cord all together. As a matter of fact I'll probably work on the set up to do just that in the mean time.
Expect your next to bill to completely wrong. This is comcast's MO.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Expect your next to bill to completely wrong. This is comcast's MO.
This. I can't wait to move out of this town. I thought Charter was bad, then I moved to a place where Comcast is the only viable option (unless you consider 3Mbps viable). In retrospect, Charter seems like Mother Teresa.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I just moved and my new cable provider is Cable One. They are supposed to give me 50 Mbps, but using speedtest.net, the best I've seen is around 40. 90% of the time it's 20 or less and very often, it's under 5. It's just me online using their supplied all-in-one modem/wireless router, and I'm using it wirelessly sitting 10 feet away.

I thought my speed was a factor of how many people where using the cable at the same time, not necessarily my network. You know, neighbors come home from work, fire up their computers and my speed suffers. My friend says no to this. He says you (me) are paying for 50 and you should get 50 regardless of what's happening next door. Is he right and what should I realistically expect?

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Your friend is wrong, they sell you speeds "up to 50 Mbps". That's not to say what they're doing isn't total bullshit. They overload the fuck out of nodes until enough people bitch about their shitty services and finally force them to do a node split. My local cable company here (Shaw cable) does the same shit. I finally switched to DSL since I get guaranteed speeds this way, but I know that's not an option for a lot of people in the states.

Just call them up and complain daily, and try to get your neighbours to do the same.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just moved and my new cable provider is Cable One. They are supposed to give me 50 Mbps, but using speedtest.net, the best I've seen is around 40. 90% of the time it's 20 or less and very often, it's under 5. It's just me online using their supplied all-in-one modem/wireless router, and I'm using it wirelessly sitting 10 feet away.

I thought my speed was a factor of how many people where using the cable at the same time, not necessarily my network. You know, neighbors come home from work, fire up their computers and my speed suffers. My friend says no to this. He says you (me) are paying for 50 and you should get 50 regardless of what's happening next door. Is he right and what should I realistically expect?
Pizoi hit the nail on the head about the shared bandwidth.

You also said you are using WiFi, which is never going to be 100%. Try the same test wired and see how it looks.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Hard wire it and check the speed test. You might be using a channel that is seeing a lot of interference. If the hard wire test shows better speed then adjust what wireless channel you're using. Don't set it to auto.

You'd be amazed how much that really does matter.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm curious but that $160 you were paying did that include the box/DVR plus all the bullshit fees? Ditched Comcast years ago so don't know how much they nickel and dime compared to Verizon, but my internet is dirt cheap compared to the TV and all the hidden extras that come with it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm curious but that $160 you were paying did that include the box/DVR plus all the bullshit fees? Ditched Comcast years ago so don't know how much they nickel and dime compared to Verizon, but my internet is dirt cheap compared to the TV and all the hidden extras that come with it.
Of course not, it was $178 with equipment fees.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I left the country, but this seems like a step in the right direction, especially for backwards Australia.

Netflix arrives in Australia on March 24 s quota-free for iiNet Group customers | games.on.net

Yes, you heard that right.

Some great news to kick off your Tuesday morning with, as Netflix officially announce their Australian launch date: March 24.

According to the press release we received, it will be available on smart TVs, 2nd-generation Fetch TV boxes, as well as the PS3, PS4, XB360, XB1, and the Wii U, as well as smartphones and tablets (and of course PC).

The best news today is that iiNet will be partnering with Netflix to make it quota-free for all our users. Yes, that means that anybody with iiNet, Internode, Adam, Westnet, or any of our ISPs can watch all the Netflix they like without eating into your quota.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hey Tarrant, little late on this, but I found out the best way to deal with Comcast is to cycle through their customer service center. Call them and if they give you an answer you don't like just call back and get someone else. I had to do this for a myriad of problems I've had before and it worked better than wasting my breath arguing with people over the price mismatches.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Thanks guys for talking about channels. I know I've heard about interference as well and normally use "Auto". I used Wireless Diagnostics and changed my channels and get this:

4200250349.png

(Up from about 110 or so)