Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Thanks guys for talking about channels. I know I've heard about interference as well and normally use "Auto". I used Wireless Diagnostics and changed my channels and get this:

4200250349.png

(Up from about 110 or so)
Awesome man glad it worked.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google Fiber signups start tomorrow for my neighborhood. Im as excited as a 10 year old on Christmas eve (even though it'll be months until install)

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Thanks, guys. I'm 1000 miles and 5 days from home, so I'll see what happens when I get back.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So the Tech came today to give me my new modem and informed me that the 105mb isn't available here yet.

If I had to pick between eliminating ISIS or Comcast from the world, I would actually have to mull it over for a bit before I came to a decision.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So the Tech came today to give me my new modem and informed me that the 105mb isn't available here yet.

If I had to pick between eliminating ISIS or Comcast from the world, I would actually have to mull it over for a bit before I came to a decision.
You'd still pick Comcast like any rational person would right?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey joeboo, share your Plex server with me, and I'll just give up streaming my shows at all. I don't wanna waste my bandwidth, I'll just leech on yours bro.

/jealous

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
A little off-topic, but I found this fairly interesting...

Had a customer in our office who works for a company that lays fiber optic lines for telecom companies. So I asked him if they had been doing any work for Google in the area, and he said a little, here and there(they lay the empty casing for Google in the ground, but not the actual fiber lines for Google), but their biggest fiber customer is WalMart. Apparently they're in the midst of a 30-year contract with WalMart and are laying fiber all over the country connecting all the WalMarts back to their huge corporate data center in Arkansas. He said the fiber they are laying for them is about 20x the thoroughput of what Google is doing. I guess they lay fiber in bundles of like 144 or 288 wires, and most telecom companies will use a couple or a handful at most, but WalMart is needing a fully dedicated 144-wire bundle for themselves. Seems a little crazy that WalMart needs that just for store-to-store communication, I wonder if they have other plans for it. Every small podunk town in America has a WalMart, it would be interesting if the spread of Fiber internet outside of large cities and all across the country ended up being the doing of WalMart.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A little off-topic, but I found this fairly interesting...

Had a customer in our office who works for a company that lays fiber optic lines for telecom companies. So I asked him if they had been doing any work for Google in the area, and he said a little, here and there(they lay the empty casing for Google in the ground, but not the actual fiber lines for Google), but their biggest fiber customer is WalMart. Apparently they're in the midst of a 30-year contract with WalMart and are laying fiber all over the country connecting all the WalMarts back to their huge corporate data center in Arkansas. He said the fiber they are laying for them is about 20x the thoroughput of what Google is doing. I guess they lay fiber in bundles of like 144 or 288 wires, and most telecom companies will use a couple or a handful at most, but WalMart is needing a fully dedicated 144-wire bundle for themselves. Seems a little crazy that WalMart needs that just for store-to-store communication, I wonder if they have other plans for it. Every small podunk town in America has a WalMart, it would be interesting if the spread of Fiber internet outside of large cities and all across the country ended up being the doing of WalMart.
That's a lot of bandwidth for store communications. I wonder if they are selling the extra fiber or just letting it lay dark. I'd buy me some Walmart Fiber. Google Fiber makes me wish I still lived in KC.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Even if they never use most of it themselves, they could make a mint in the coming years leasing all that extra fiber to ISPs in small towns

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder how much of the expense is the actual cable and how much is the conduit, digging, etc. It might just make sense to future proof yourself by putting 10x the amount of cable that you need down there while you have the trench dug even if it won't be used for a while. The risk is of course that something will come along that makes fiber obsolete but that doesn't really seem to be on the horizon at the moment.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd bet a large % is the labor/install, rather than the materials. So like you said, install as much as you can while you're doing it, since you're paying the labor regardless. Either future-proof yourself with a TON of excess bandwidth, or lease/sell it off to the highest bidder if you truly don't need it, and recoup those install costs several times over.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well the upside is Walmart is everywhere and if there is extra capacity they can sell it back and use those as trunks for consumer traffic down the road.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
That's a lot of bandwidth for store communications. I wonder if they are selling the extra fiber or just letting it lay dark. I'd buy me some Walmart Fiber. Google Fiber makes me wish I still lived in KC.
If you had a nationwide network of terabits of fiber, and the capability to offer next gen wifi, which will go for miles at low latency and large bandwidth, and you're actively part of what's destroying the middle class, and you could then offer internet service for cheap, and become the 21st century AOL stopgap before "modems" become obsolete, and in the meantime make as many people as possible reliant on your company, "Wallyworld" is a real easy transition to "Wallynet."

We are 10 years or less away from people buying homes on Walmart and having them 3D printed in days. Probably 15-20 years away from forced "reprints" for "safety." 3D printed foods, nationwide trucking with nationwide distribution...Walmart wins. They won't be the only company, but just like they have run mom and pop stores out of business, the American citizen is going to be left with fewer and fewer choices.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Agreed Jilariz. As much as we all bitch about the Time Warner/Comcast cable monopolies and Verizon/AT&T phone monopolies, we might not be too far away from a Wal-Mart/Amazon retail monopoly where those two retailers are responsible for the VAST majority of goods and services bought in the US.