Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Fuck I moved to a place where the buildings next door are 1gbps ready but not mine; fuckkkkkkkkkkk.

We're moving after our lease is up.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So after having comcast for the past year @ 105 Mbps they upped my introductory rate to like $80 a month or some shit so I decided to look for alternatives. Oh look I can get fiber here, great right?

Order Frontier Fios for $35 a month 30/30 locked in for 3 years plus they gave me a year of amazon prime on a year contract. Of course what they didn't tell me is they needed to lay the actual fiber to my house. So first several utilities guys show up to paint lines across my lawn to show where the current utilities are buried. While doing this they paint across a rock path, paint on a mat under a car, then when the guys come to lay the actual fiber they go completely away from any of those lines anyways. Fine, whatever right?

Well, had my appointment for Thursday 1-5, get an automated phone call cancelling that appointment and setting it up for Friday, fine ok. Friday rolls around and no one shows up. So I call in, hey where is this dude? First person puts me on hold to call dispatch, I get hung up on. Call back, 2nd guy puts me on hold for 20+ minutes to come back and tell me I'm on the list for 5pm and he should call if he can't make it. Ok fine.

7pm rolls around, obviously they aren't coming, but no phone call. Call back, hey what happened. Oh our guys can't start an install if they don't get to the place by 5pm, you've been rescheduled for Saturday. Why didn't I get a phone call telling me any of this?

Day 3 of Frontier watch is on...still waiting, still no word.

I'm starting to feel like I've made a big mistake. You'd think a multi-billion dollar company would figure out their fucking CS.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
aaaaand they aren't coming today. Decided to call in to find out whats up, technician won't be able to make it today, you've been rescheduled for Monday. WELL FUCK YOU. FFS. Stop scheduling appointments you can't fucking keep. Once? Ok, 3 fucking times?

Inque

FunEmployed
So after having comcast for the past year @ 105 Mbps they upped my introductory rate to like $80 a month or some shit so I decided to look for alternatives. Oh look I can get fiber here, great right?

Order Frontier Fios for $35 a month 30/30 locked in for 3 years plus they gave me a year of amazon prime on a year contract. Of course what they didn't tell me is they needed to lay the actual fiber to my house. So first several utilities guys show up to paint lines across my lawn to show where the current utilities are buried. While doing this they paint across a rock path, paint on a mat under a car, then when the guys come to lay the actual fiber they go completely away from any of those lines anyways. Fine, whatever right?

Well, had my appointment for Thursday 1-5, get an automated phone call cancelling that appointment and setting it up for Friday, fine ok. Friday rolls around and no one shows up. So I call in, hey where is this dude? First person puts me on hold to call dispatch, I get hung up on. Call back, 2nd guy puts me on hold for 20+ minutes to come back and tell me I'm on the list for 5pm and he should call if he can't make it. Ok fine.

7pm rolls around, obviously they aren't coming, but no phone call. Call back, hey what happened. Oh our guys can't start an install if they don't get to the place by 5pm, you've been rescheduled for Saturday. Why didn't I get a phone call telling me any of this?

Day 3 of Frontier watch is on...still waiting, still no word.

I'm starting to feel like I've made a big mistake. You'd think a multi-billion dollar company would figure out their fucking CS.
In our area, Northern WV, Frontier is the only "viable" option outside of Comcast. So two years ago I contacted Frontier to install DSL. I specifically stated I need a tech to run a new phone wire into the home and assist with the installation, to which Frontier stated sure, no problem. So a week goes by and the technician doesn't show up by 3pm (appointment was at noon), I contacted them three times over the course of a week and the last day their driver throws a cardboard box on my front porch with scribbled notes on how to provision my DSL modem. Except I couldn't. I didn't have any phone wires. I call Frontier to cancel and get hit with a threat about $300 in early termination fees. Called their retention/collections office in NY. Guy on the phone said I'm the 5th person that day to contact them. He wiped the issue and hung up the phone. If you're smart, go back to Comcast at least for the time being.

Inque

FunEmployed
Do you work for Comcast? I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone utter those words before.
No, and I wish I didn't have to utilize Comcast. If the guys in an area where Frontier is his only other option, there's likely zero alternatives. Where I live, we have no choice and when you call Comcast, they know it too. Ain't a damn thing we can do about it at this point, satellite sure as shit ain't an option either.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I live in northern WV. I can confirm Inque's story. Only choice is comcast or frontier which basically means your only choice is comcast. Frontier is basically a shittier product for pretty much the same price and equally shitty CS. It sucks here.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
While sending an old DVR on a return to Verizon I got a story about Comcast actually upgrading their network down the road, except they screwed something up and now everyone's internet is worse. So both literally and metaphorically.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So last week i come home to no internet, i called Verizon (fios) thinking i just need a signal reset. Guy said it's weird, they can't even talk to my box at all. I later go just to view the side of house and see a plethora of cut wires, like in the movies when criminals want to rob you, they cut the phones lines, and yup this is my fios line. Later after talking to neighbors, apparently some truck caught the wires in the telephone pole and basically dragged the wires connected to houses onto the street, and utility guys just cut the wires and said fuck it. Verizon tech is coming out in 2 days, eh i could live w/ it.

The next day i wake up to my basement fire alarms blaring, i run down and check stuff out, no issue, talk to my neighbor (we rent and our 2 apts share the same basement), and i see a verizon vested guy walking around his kitchen. I grab him and tell him the story and he's like "damn, well i gotta call some guys out and fix the both of you i guess", few hours later up and running.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just got my Direct TV installed this past Sat. The dude was a contractor but did a bang up job. Better than AT&T or any cable provider ever did. Tidied up all the wires nicely in the basement, ran the shit outside like a pro.

Im liking the Direct TV a lot. Way more options on the DVR interface than uvers ever had. It even has the option that when you flip a channel and like what you are seeing, you can rewind that shit to the beginning, fucking nice. Nice crisp reception, the dude said i had like 99% signal from all three satellites.

And best of all im saving $130 over uverse. Went from $250 down to $115 and the bundle include the 24 meg internet (had the 18 meg before)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And best of all im saving $130 over uverse. Went from $250 down to $115 and the bundle include the 24 meg internet (had the 18 meg before)
And in 18-24 months, your DirecTV will be just as expensive as the Uverse you left. Don't get me wrong, I love DirecTV, I use them now, but it'll go up as the promotional offersr expire, just like any other provider. My DTV was $55 a month when I started, a year later is was up to $85 a month, and then at the end of 2 years I am now up to $115 a month.

Now, I could sign another 2 year contract to get that back down a bit, but at this point I'm close to having Google Fiber, so I'm not touching any contracts from anyone else.

It just absolutely sucks for consumers that you can't get decent prices unless you're willing to switch companies every other year. Thats horrible for the customer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hear you. we just had this conversation with coworkers about this shit. I locked in for 2 yrs though. The Direct TV is mostly for my wife, I could do without and just use my roku and netflix and my moms HBO-GO. Fuck, I had to fight it out with her to let go of her fucking land line that no one barely used anymore. And if they raise the price, fuck them, I will cancel that shit and do without this time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And in 18-24 months, your DirecTV will be just as expensive as the Uverse you left. Don't get me wrong, I love DirecTV, I use them now, but it'll go up as the promotional offersr expire, just like any other provider. My DTV was $55 a month when I started, a year later is was up to $85 a month, and then at the end of 2 years I am now up to $115 a month.

Now, I could sign another 2 year contract to get that back down a bit, but at this point I'm close to having Google Fiber, so I'm not touching any contracts from anyone else.

It just absolutely sucks for consumers that you can't get decent prices unless you're willing to switch companies every other year. Thats horrible for the customer.
It's true that the price will go up, but in my experience you don't really have to switch companies every other year, you just have to threaten to. I posted it in the football thread but just last week I called in to DTV customer support and told the automated system that I wanted to close my account. They transferred me to a dude who asked why I wanted to cancel. I told him that I switched to DTV from Dish because of NFL Sunday Ticket and if they wouldn't give me that free I was going back to Dish. He immediately offered me free Sunday Ticket + $30 off a month for a year and $5 off for 6 months for a 1 year commitment. I don't know if I could have gotten more if I had held out longer but all I was really looking for was Sunday Ticket.

My point though is that you really have to call them once a year and ask for some shit, because they will almost always give it to you and you rarely have to actually switch companies.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, call and just have a conversation, doesn't even need to be a confrontation. Do 2 minutes of homework and let them know you are looking at a $x offer from a local company, or that $$ is right and you have to reduce services and they'll offer what they can usually. I call every year and am typically more than taken care of in exchange for a 1 year contract. At the end of that year a lot of those credits expire, and I call again, we're close to trying to cut the cord though, probably just Sunday Ticket preventing us from doing so.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Doesn't work anymore where I live, at least for Comcast. They will say sorry and disconnect you while you are on the line.

Because my only other option is now 3mb Uverse, and they fucking know it

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That article is still scumbaggery, why are they referencingwirelessplans when we're talking about Comcast fucking over regular internet?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
FCC needs to break up all these companies into tiny little ones and skull fuck them with open markets or strict regulation on pricing.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That article is still scumbaggery, why are they referencingwirelessplans when we're talking about Comcast fucking over regular internet?
They are showing that Comcast is trying to copy the wireless industry by changing the wording in what are essentially caps.

"We don't call it a cap," Comcast spokseman Charlie Douglas tells Fortune. "We call it a data plan just like wireless companies have data plans."