Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Fucking Comcast. Ugh, I want fiber speed. -.- Can't pay $300/month for just internet. Not worth it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
frown.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, Comcast tried to stop them from being able to lay fiber, they almost didn't renew their corporate building lease in Saint Paul over it. (along with a host of other dumb reasons)

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, Comcast tried to stop them from being able to lay fiber, they almost didn't renew their corporate building lease in Saint Paul over it. (along with a host of other dumb reasons)
Comcast knows it has america by its nuts with limiting the internet speed.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 56k dial up connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 2M ADSL connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 10M cable connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 100M fiber connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 1Gig connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 10GB connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.
See a pattern here? Progress, amigo! 4K streaming can't come soon enough.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Pretty bad argument. He never said that he can't imagine anyone ever needing that speed, just not at the current time. And he's right, 99.99% of the population has no need of such speeds with what they currently use the Internet for.

4k streaming needs what, a 25 Mbit connection? The real problem is the cost and the caps that are starting to be enforced

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Arbitrary usage caps are a much larger hurdle for progressing forward with new technologies than raw bandwidth/speed is.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I completely agree re caps, but why choose to stagnate tech / bandwidth?

It's like the old memory / hard disk argument that has gone on for decades. This 10G "too big" argument will look just as dumb as those statements in the not too distant future. That was my point.

But yes, caps are stupid as fuck. But that seems to be a USA only problem. I haven't lived there in the last ~16 years so I really don't deal with it. #murica

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I completely agree re caps, but why choose to stagnate tech / bandwidth?

It's like the old memory / hard disk argument that has gone on for decades. This 10G "too big" argument will look just as dumb as those statements in the not too distant future. That was my point.

But yes, caps are stupid as fuck. But that seems to be a USA only problem. I haven't lived there in the last ~16 years so I really don't deal with it. #murica
No, you are making a completely different argument. No one is saying that it's not great that the speeds are available and progressively getting better. What we are saying is that RIGHT NOW, 99.9% of people have zero use for a 10 Mbit connection, especially with the arbitrary caps that are popping up. I would rather have 75 Mbit speeds for $30 per month or some shit than even 1 Gbit for $80. Why? Because there is no need for the faster speeds. I torrent the occasional TV series (takes like 30 seconds per show already), download the occasional game on PSN (which will likely be the bottle neck in the speed anyways), and stream shit which really never needs more than 25 Mbit speeds.

It's great that the speeds are getting better, but it just plain doesnt matter for almost any user unless those faster speeds correlate to lower prices for the slower teirs. This isn't an argument to say "No one will ever need more than 100 Mbit download speeds!". The argument is that for the vast majority of people, faster speeds are useless at this point until something comes along that actually needs it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You also need to look at the fact torrent rips and especially stream sites will compress the shit out of 1080p. Hell, most TV torrents are only 720p and STILL compressed. With better bandwidth as a whole (no caps of course), we could move to lossless formats as well as HD Master Audio, etc. Add to the fact we have had 4K televisions for YEARS now with fuck all media for them. Open up the pipes and remove caps and we could be streaming / DL'ing this straight to the house and get rid of physical media (BR disks) altogether.

It's the whole chicken and egg scenario. Are our current ISP needs limited by media formats / availability, or are our media formats limited due to the USA's shitty internet infrastructure and data cap bullshit?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login...mber%3D4445944

The bit rate of the uncompressed 4K video stream can exceed 6 Gbit/s, which can be transmitted via a 10 Gbit/s network, however, it is difficult to switch multiple video streams from different locations without any video frame loss because of the network's bandwidth limitation.
There you go, uncompressed 4K streaming will take over half that 10GbE connection alone.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You just run HD Netflix 24/7 on 3 TVs or what?
We have Roku's in 3 rooms but generally only use 1 at a time. We also run a home office. I think the biggest hog by far however is that we have a slingbox up north that we stream.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I caled uverse to cancel all that shit. Was going to keep uverse around for internet, but cancel the TV and phone(lol) and get dish for TV. So I guess att just bought direct tv because I just got direct tv ultimate pack, better internet because of bundle (24meg) all for $115 per month for 3 tvs locked in for 2yrs. Used to pay $250, Ill take it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
For as long as I've lived in this house I have had the option of Uverse internet (up to 18mb) and Uverse TV. My other options have been Comcast and the satellite TV companies.

Since ATT bought direct tv my address now is suddenly outside of their range for TV and Internet speeds max out at 6mb. So congratulations FCC, you managed to turn the most monopolistic industry that consumers have to deal with and made it even worse!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well AT&T relying on century old tech to cobble together internet access is the problem. If they would get their shit together there would be a viable second player in the market, which is still pathetic but better than just Comcrap.