Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Amazon.com just bought the Washington Post, who is the parent company of Cable One. Looks like Amazon is getting in the ISP business.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That would be nice. I really like the idea of companies like Amazon and Google getting into the business because they have other streams of revenue and don't have to squeeze every penny of profit out of their subscribers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, we desperately need someone new. Even just having a second choice (not counting Dish stuff) in my neighborhood would be nice. We have to either go with Comcast or get nothing. My bill every month is so much higher than the previous, it's getting insane.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazon.com just bought the Washington Post, who is the parent company of Cable One. Looks like Amazon is getting in the ISP business.
Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post. Amazon did not. This is an important distinction.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Called Comcast about the bill (went from $140 to $221 due to promotional shit) and they said they couldn't do anything cause I guess I signed up for a damn two year contract. Blargh.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, they have you for two years. If you want to play hardball you could tell them you want to cancel it and pay the early termination fee. I know at least one person that got back on directv promotional rates by doing this. You can always back out if they call your bluff.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well I'm upgrading my Comcast boxes to their new 1X stuff.

I originally called because they yet again fucked up my billing by $50 and they said I could have all the stuff with free install and what not and my monthly bill will stay the same. We shall see if that's how it all goes down.

I wanted to upgrade my VR anyway so if I can do it and have them waive the $50 or $75 fee for it than cool. At this point I'm surprised they answer me when I call them.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They didn't for my bedroom install, if they do here I'll be right back on the phone with them. I record all conversations (and make them aware of it) I have with them so I'm not to worried about it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
so I have the 1X now, I have to say I like that if I turn it to a show it will automatically turn it to the HD channel for it if there is one.

What I don't like is on the old remote there was a HD Zoom button where it would make it where programs that weren't fimmed in HD but were on HD channels fully fit the screen. On the 1X I've seen no option to do so, which is frustrating at the moment.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That zoom though is either cropping off the top/bottom of the screen to make it fit, or stretching the screen to make it fit. You're better off with a letterboxed picture, at least it isn't altered/distorted.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No, all I did was stretch, I didn't zoom in so nothing was cut off and it did it without degrading the picture.

I can't do that now though and its bothersome.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Most HDTVs have built-in options for letterboxing vs stretching/zooming 4:3(standard def) content when displayed on a 16:9(high def) screen. Only downside would be that if you are using the setting in the TV itself, it is going to either always be on or always off, no quick switching with a button on the remote, it's all or nothing at that point. Heck, even my Toshiba HDTV from 2001 had that setting, I'd be surprised if your TV doesn't have it, it's almost as standard as contrast and brightness controls anymore.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Stretching is dumb. How is having everyone's face be 50% wider than it's supposed to be better than having black bars on the sides?