Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I went ahead and paid the $99. The place I'm moving has like 10 or 15Mbps, will absolutely tell them to fuck off too for Starlink.

---

Question: With the competition of Starlink, what are shitty things like Hughes and Via going to do?? Their tech literally is incompatible with fast speeds, because of the altitude of the satellites right?

They can't do shit cause there Sat's are way different... They have already been bitching up a storm at the FCC telling them that Starlink will be a monopoly and there "tech" is unproven, but every single report Starlink has provided too FCC sense starting has all stated the same thing..

HughesNet/Viasat don't run a low geo-synch system they can't say that it doesn't work and all the proof they have been providing too them lately has said, ignore Hughesnet/ViaSat and listen to the people actually building the tech.

A few family members of mine still living up in WA have all said that it's a little rough at the start you'll get 15second blackouts occasionally, and also some 10-15min blackouts(basically system updates, and also when they add more too the constellation they have too reboot) but once they get too a point the blackouts stop happening. I think there biggest problem right now is just building out there data posts in areas.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I too sent $100 to the richest man in the world today. It said "mid to late 2021" for me too, but from what I've seen that's what they're saying to everyone. Called up Viasat and verified that my contract is fulfilled so they can kiss my ass goodbye the day Dishy arrives. If I can find a reliable way to stream NFL games then DirecTV will be losing a customer as well.

Hughesnet and ViaSat can't have fast pings. They can have fast data rates but not to very many people. I know Viasat has plans to add a couple more satellites in the next few years but nothing that can compete with Starlink if it actually works at scale. That's why they're crying to the FCC about Starlink.

Youtube TV has been worth it for me. Splitting it with a few other people (you're allowed to link 5 other people, with the condition it can only be watched on 3 devices at a time). Covers all my football needs, and whatever random shit. Lots of times I go looking for random movies I find them on Youtube TV more often than Netflix or Prime or anything, because they aired on whatever channel (FX, AMC, etc) and you can watch it on demand for quite some time after that.

Worth looking into. If not that, than another solution is something like an Antenna (plus a DVR if you want to be able to record, their are multiple options) and Sling TV (a few other options as well).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How many nfl games do they have? Is it just what would be on TV in your area? I really wish there was a way to pay for all the games for a single team. I would happily pay $50-$100 to just stream the 49ers game every week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How many nfl games do they have? Is it just what would be on TV in your area? I really wish there was a way to pay for all the games for a single team. I would happily pay $50-$100 to just stream the 49ers game every week.
There's a thread about it that someone started on this sub-forum, but I think NFL.com you can pay to stream all the games for a $100 or something? Maybe it's more than that. Not sure how easy it is to get it up on a TV though.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
the thing on nfl.com is to stream games after they've been played, not a live thing

• 1Barf

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I would probably be down with that depending on how long after it was. I generally do some work on Sunday afternoon and DVR the game so I can watch it in the evening and fast forward the commercials. I can hardly stand to watch a game live anymore. Just have to remember to stay off of social media and Google news or they will spoil it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would probably be down with that depending on how long after it was. I generally do some work on Sunday afternoon and DVR the game so I can watch it in the evening and fast forward the commercials. I can hardly stand to watch a game live anymore. Just have to remember to stay off of social media and Google news or they will spoil it.
This is the thread that I'm talking about. Might have some ideas that are still valid, or just bump it.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I have a rural house I just closed on. Starlink is 6-9 months away supposedly, so I went looking. I wanted to give a recommendation out to this company:

Basically it resells cell phone data. I got the unlimited "blue" plan, I think blue is AT&T, and pink is verizon. They ship you a wifi router that has a sim card slot and it's all setup and programmed, so you just literally plug it in, and there's a stick on the bottom of the modem that gives you the wifi name and password, and the routers IP address and password. The router software is straight forward and easy to operate, and I believe it has a VPN, but I just use VPN on my computer, don't want to dick around with that for TVs and Echos. Internet was super quick, I didn't speed test it, but honestly couldn't tell a difference in normal web browsing from my home wifi.

On the website it states that after 50gb use, you could be deprioritized during times of heavy network congestion. Out there there's basically no one so I don't know where the congestion has to occur. I emailed inquiring, and they state "We don't throttle speed even if you reach a certain amount of data." So we'll see how that works out. It's expensive, I think $160/month for unlimited (ranges $90-$160/month depending on data). But I have to imagine it's infinitely better than something like Hughes Net, which I've read is the worst piece of shit on earth. And I think they have a two week from receipt return period if you aren't happy with it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anybody used different U-verse for TV but Comcast for internet? We're about to move and the AT&T internet sucks at our new house but I hate Comcast TV, and the price discount for bundling internet/TV with Comcast is like $10 only... probably really easy to do but no idea if these companies have locked ecosystems or something that won't talk to each other.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Has anybody used different U-verse for TV but Comcast for internet? We're about to move and the AT&T internet sucks at our new house but I hate Comcast TV, and the price discount for bundling internet/TV with Comcast is like $10 only... probably really easy to do but no idea if these companies have locked ecosystems or something that won't talk to each other.
Should be simple. Just dont light up the wifi off the U-verse and stick to Comcast wifi/ethernet. The one thing to look at is making sure the speed on the U-verse pipe is enough for shit like 4k.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'll have it installed tomorrow, has warmed up enough and stopped raining so I can climb up on my roof, also need to grab some bigger bits.. That ferrite core on that cat cable is a thick boy.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you qualified for Verizon's promo for a free year of Disney+ chances are you qualify for six months of Discovery+ which lets you watch an episode ahead of Deadliest Catch (starts Tuesday). Not even sure what else they have on that service.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Hey man. How's Star Link treating you?

AMAZING , work, 14, a stream for music(This doesn't even come close too capping my speeds yet, I haven't pushed it yet.... maybe this weekend) all at once and my latency is wayyy lower then what I could ever get with AT&T..

Service has recently been expanded with speed increases coming sooner then initially planned.. It's just fucking awesome having actual internet vs what I dealt with for over 10years.

And for ppl asking 14 works great on it, even Ultimate/Unreal I have 0 problems doing mechanics.... I'm just floored that this is Satellite Fucking Internet

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
AMAZING , work, 14, a stream for music(This doesn't even come close too capping my speeds yet, I haven't pushed it yet.... maybe this weekend) all at once and my latency is wayyy lower then what I could ever get with AT&T..

Service has recently been expanded with speed increases coming sooner then initially planned.. It's just fucking awesome having actual internet vs what I dealt with for over 10years.

Asking for a friend who wants to pretend to live in america while working online only. I'd like to know what sort of bandwidth you get in the real world. It's a directionless signal? Having to broadcast to a point is very haraam for the conditions of my "friend".

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Asking for a friend who wants to pretend to live in america while working online only. I'd like to know what sort of bandwidth you get in the real world. It's a directionless signal? Having to broadcast to a point is very haraam for the conditions of my "friend".
Right now all the Dishs are geo-locked, You "HAVE" to be in the certain satellite band for it too work properly.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

And for ppl asking 14 works great on it, even Ultimate/Unreal I have 0 problems doing mechanics.... I'm just floored that this is Satellite Fucking Internet
Nice. I'm super jealous. I pre-ordered but haven't heard anything since about when it will actually be available here.