Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Damn, that's what I heard, but I thought this network was supposed to be different.
They are doing it this way, cause the network isn't fully built yet, they are working on it have you seen all the launches from cali ? everyone single one is pretty much all satellite's for the Constellation. It's a slow build process but it's working I think by the end of this summer they plan on having the N. Hemisphere covered and the rest of the planet covered by mid-2022.

Not only that but I think there biggest problem right now is just getting the actual access points built on the ground.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I may have to start looking into Starlink more in the near future. While I love my new town in terms of being smaller than Denver, it is far enough away that VZ isn't seeming too keen on bringing actual 5g here any time soon. That said, Comcast here has been pretty decent. If they up speeds in response to Starlink I would probably keep them, but if not, I wouldn't feel bad about cutting the cord.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So 1 Issue which is kinda odd, but it might actually be a beta thing...

I can't host games on my internet connection, sense Starlink uses CGNAT for the IP address(Cause the signal is bouncing between multiple moving satellites at the same time).

I guess if I was hard pressed I could VPN the server but ehh *shrug* something too think about if you're looking at it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A big question is going to be whether Starlink performance is going to go way down once beta is over and lots of people start signing up for it. Viasat and Hughesnet were both pretty impressive when their new satellites were first launched but then went to shit once everyone was using them. It sounds like Starlink is set up to avoid that with the possible exception of denser areas, but my area is about as sparsely populated as anywhere in the lower 48 so I'm thinking whatever bird is going over my house at any given time shouldn't be too busy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
A big question is going to be whether Starlink performance is going to go way down once beta is over and lots of people start signing up for it. Viasat and Hughesnet were both pretty impressive when their new satellites were first launched but then went to shit once everyone was using them. It sounds like Starlink is set up to avoid that with the possible exception of denser areas, but my area is about as sparsely populated as anywhere in the lower 48 so I'm thinking whatever bird is going over my house at any given time shouldn't be too busy.

This is way different compared to what those shithole companies are using.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sooo I pushed it pretty hard over the weekend.

Even with the crazy weather I had, was still averaging 100mb/s down, upstream suffered a little but it wasn't anything crazy still average out too about 18mb/s up.

Having unlimited actual speed though is nice downloaded Neir:Replicant in about a hour and a half. !!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
That's gonna be an interesting problem if there gonna solve it... I mean the dish is pretty fucking packed with features right now, 2 (Small) Stepper Motors, Multiple Receivers, a fucking heat pad, and it is also the "key" for logging into the StarLink Network.

And the weird thing.. friends of mine who live in the desert part of WA state(Where it gets 110+ near the end of summer/start of fall) said they didn't have any issues.

Also email I recived last week ... Upgrade might be happening at the end of this month(Right now there in the last phase of deploying the bit of the "ring" I'm on)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't encounter this until mangadex came back online and I was unable to access links but

Multiple ISPs, not just Verizon, are black holing certain IP addresses probably for using protection services by a Russian company.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
StarlinkWIN2.PNG

Upgrades are not done yet, they are still launching and tweaking more Sat's but that download , my loaded ping only goes up too about 60ms. And this is with my dish being partially "blocked" tree about 30feet from my house is blocking part of the signal on the eastern part of my McFlatFace
Obstructed.PNG

HOLY FUCK

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
HOLY FUCK

That's beautiful. I am so hot to sign up for that. I had thought maybe the reason I wasn't selected for beta was because there were no ground stations close enough but I looked it up on the map and there is one in Slope county ND, which is like 55 miles from my house as the crow flies. Going to be life changing compared to what I have now.

Do you notice any dropouts?

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
A few seconds here and there, but I'm pretty sure when I trim back the tree that is blocking part of the signal I'll be great(Have to rent a lift to do it, I might just chop the tree down though as it's just a stupid pine tree).

You should be checking Starlink satellite tracker for satellites in you're "ring". Should give you a better idea of how close they are too you.

And here is for the last 12 hours of my "signal"
Outagelisting.PNG

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I recently went with ATT fiber and it’s smoking. It’s a night and day difference from Cox cable.

Attachments

• 1A0078FD-DAEC-4C87-8A45-F3E623EEC549.jpeg
    1A0078FD-DAEC-4C87-8A45-F3E623EEC549.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users