Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's really not that bad. It will work as long as you're not too close to trees and by too close I mean within 30 feet or so. You can download the starlink app and take a picture of the sky in the area where you would want to put the dish. My house has pine covered ridges to the south and west very close to the house and 80% of the places I tried in my yard it said it wasn't obstructed at all. It points fairly straight up too so I don't know if the north thing is that important although I've heard the same thing.

Goatface

For service, the company said Starlink Premium users can expect download speeds of 150 megabits per second to 500 megabits per second, with latency between 20 milliseconds to 40 milliseconds. That represents an improvement in the top part of the download range, as the standard service advertises speeds between 100 megabits per second to 200 megabits per second, as well as a tighter latency range.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Fine with me as long as they don't put in data caps. I don't think there's any particular reason to have more than 100 mbps as a home user at least for now.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It sucks, but its gonna happen regardless..

Too many "unknowns" too really figure out when the storms will hit..

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I think I can download my entire Steam library in less than a day now!

1651569706402.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone recommend an alternative to Verizon Wireless and have 4+ lines? Considering going w/ Fi for a while but concerned about my Fold 3 not being compatible w/ 'network switching' - need to poke around for experiences related to that. Anyone made this move from Verizon previously and have any issues we should be aware of?

Probably adding 2 more lines in the next year or two as the kids get older.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Portland was going to get Google fiber but the city voted it out because of the bad look of the fiber huts that are needed...
1651596993321.png

Ziply Fiber came in and offer 1,2,5 gig plans at 60, 120, 300 a month. I've got to rack up those home office costs for my taxes :)

The green area is where its offered now.
1651596751623.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Anyone recommend an alternative to Verizon Wireless and have 4+ lines? Considering going w/ Fi for a while but concerned about my Fold 3 not being compatible w/ 'network switching' - need to poke around for experiences related to that. Anyone made this move from Verizon previously and have any issues we should be aware of?

Probably adding 2 more lines in the next year or two as the kids get older.

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a year and a half ago. They actually have better coverage in my area than Verizon but that will depend on your location. Just have a single line but I went from $105/month to $70/month for unlimited everything and I have had no regrets.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Phone service is one of those things that you should really look at objectively. Stuff like Metro PCS is more than fine and like $30-$40 a month. Do you really need all the bullshit the companies are trying to get you with?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
A lot of the MVNOs don't seem to work out in the sticks. I tried to go to Mint Mobile instead of T-Mobile (same network) but they wouldn't take me for some reason. Worst part of it is that they got my email and since they rejected me they send me emails all the time going "Check out Mint Mobile!" Fuck off.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So they pushed a firmware update for the First Generation of Dishy's they seem too have the same capabilities of the newer 2.0 Dishy's now..

Some odd reason my visibility if full 100% clear all the sudden, still haven't cut that tree back cause trying too rent a lift too do it has been a real pain in the ass this past year...

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm visiting my dad in FL this week and he just got Starlink. It's entirely serviceable and a very pleasant experience to use. We have six people in the house browsing and using work VPNs and no one is frustrated. I'd definitely sign up if geography required.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm visiting my dad in FL this week and he just got Starlink. It's entirely serviceable and a very pleasant experience to use. We have six people in the house browsing and using work VPNs and no one is frustrated. I'd definitely sign up if geography required.
I've been on it for a year now and it's pretty great, especially compared to what I had before. Speedtests have slowed down a little. I usually get 80-140mbps down instead of 150-200, but for using it day to day it just works. The lack of a data cap is so nice as well.

I'll get a drop-out maybe once or twice a month but it's usually just a couple of minutes, maybe 10 max. Really heavy rain has taken it out a couple of times too. It's not going to be something that competes with gigabit fiber or anything, but compared to any of the versions of "internet" I've had here over the last 13 years it's a total game changer. The local telephone co-op here is going to be bringing fiber through the neighborhood next year supposedly but they charge by the gigabit so unless they change their plan I will probably just stick with Starlink.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
well.. that answers a few questions I've had, even sense they turned on roaming I've noticed the speed has gone too absolute shit..

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
well.. that answers a few questions I've had, even sense they turned on roaming I've noticed the speed has gone too absolute shit..

Anyone who has a working knowledge about bandwidth understood that as the product grew subscribers it was going to impact throughput. Its the nature of success. Also, Starlink not understanding that roaming was going to be abused is just crazy.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

What do you mean by "absolute shit"? Mine has slowed down a bit but I'm still consistently getting 90-150 mbps which is more than enough to stream 1080p with no loading times or anything else I want to do. It's not 170-230mbps like it was when I first got it but it's still plenty fast enough for my needs.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
30/15 is about all I've gotten sense they've gone out of beta... and really bad disconnects at all times of the day..

Which I don't understand why, I'm the only one up here with starlink at all I know that some RV'r are using it on the other side of town.. but that bad ?