Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Remit_sl

shitlord
"-Still stealing from your customers as well" - some idiot

Here is a good example of a customer not understanding what the fuck they are talking about. QoS is prioritization, and has nothing to do with what Comcast was doing in 2007 (shaping, aka rate limiting, certain types of traffic to certain speeds). I run some layer 7 QoS to prioritize traffic for customers, because most dont realize that when you have a 3mbps connection, and you streaming at 3Mbps, your webpages wont load for shit. Your VOIP will be broken as shit unless you do QoS. Your CS:GO latency will go through the fucking roof and jitter all over the place. It has nothing to do with reducing what customers are able to do, and everything to do with creating a better experience for the end user. I let customers do whatever the fuck they want with their connection. Dont attack my business practices when you have no idea how it even works you fucking shitbag. I support open internet and personally hate caps. Positive Tuconets are over rated anyways.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Can't you get around ISP QoS by using a VPN anyways?
It would likely result in a poorer connection over all as all of your traffic would be likely flagged below games, voip, probably streaming etc. And then you would be left with whatever the tunnels performance.

QoS does not decrease throughput on any traffic. It simply reorders traffic for time sensitive applications to better handle congestion.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're talking about Comcast dude.

Come on...

That 300GB probably comes with a triple play bundle for $200/month

Source: That's what I pay for a triple play bundle with internet, ONE TV/BOX, and a phone I never use.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I caught them packet shaping and terminating TCP connections. They simply handwaved and insisted it must be my equipment. Strangely it stopped.

They would absolutely do that and just blame some bullshit process. Are you going to sue because you say that you only used 30GBPS less than they did and they charged you $30 erroneously? They'll back the charge off and that's that.

Comcast is the devil.
I would not sue for that but if their data metering was blatantly wrong and anyone with a router could easily verify it a class action lawsuit would get going immediately even if the fcc didn't step in. It's just too blatant to get away with.

Fadaar

That guy
We're talking about Comcast dude.

Come on...

That 300GB probably comes with a triple play bundle for $200/month

Source: That's what I pay for a triple play bundle with internet, ONE TV/BOX, and a phone I never use.
I pay like $70 a month purely for 50 down/10?? up. Don't really give two shits about upload speed, I don't do Twitch or anything and rarely torrent. However I can consistently hit 10 MB/s when downloading a game on Steam, ie Fallout 4 pre-load going right now. I have the 300 GB soft cap but since I live by myself and large downloads are few and far between I've only gone over 3 times in the last year, and I'm pretty sure 2 of those were when I had a temporary roommate who did nothing but watch Netflix when he was here.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is 1 week of usage for me. They start enforcing it all they are doing is pushing customers like me out. I'll go back to paying for 1gb again, the only reason I switched back is because they gave me 100mb for $20 a month. I wouldn't even consider myself an insane user but apparently, I am? Screw them.

rrr_img_115553.png

Remit_sl

shitlord
It is nice to be able to ask heavy users these things, so as established I am against caps.

That said, what is it that you do that consumes 300gb in a week? Is it large files or just streaming lots? On Netflix's MEDIUM quality setting, you could have streamed about 400 hours of TV for 300gb.

400 hours. Even on the HD settings, that is about 100 hours. Now, the part that I actually care about. Assuming it is streaming, would you rather:

Would you trade your current service for 20Mbps with no cap?

Or would you rather maintain your 100Mbps and be forced to lower your quality settings to say 480p (which I think is the Medium setting roughly) to stay under your 300gb cap?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I personally stream much of my television watching as well as download a few shows here and there. I play online games often and once or twice a week I stream movies online for another community I am apart of for our movie nights. My kids play minecraft online, my wife watches a lot of netflix and youtube. I don't do anything insane really and out of the ordinary I think other than the movie streaming once or twice a week for the online community I was talking about.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I personally stream all of my TV as well. My wife and I watch a good 3-4 hours a night.

Online games use basically nothing (<200Kbps), other than updates

Does your wife stay at home? For those movies that you stream, what service do you use? If you are doing like 3D movies or something, then it would eat it up quickly. Other than that, there is something else going on (unless your wife watches TV like 15 hours a day in HD)

Dont feel the need to answer, it is simply good research for me. I personally cant imagine going over 500gb/month even with torrenting/streaming/game downloading, but I do have my netflix quality set to medium.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No, she works full time. We do stream HD, our internet isn't in use from 8am to 5pm. I'll torrent 4 or 5 shows through the week so I can watch them right away. The rest gets streamed. We use Netflix and Hulu, nothing crazy. Wife watches a lot of Youtube too. I game every night from like 9 to 1. And again, one or two movies a week get streamed online for others to watch.

I did just check my process's and saw uTorrent running in the backround so maybe that was it. Who knows how long it's been going. Either way, it's not something I should have to worry about.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For 40 I would, for 20, no. With everyone here there's no way that would work.

I will however pay $65 a month for 1GB service again like I was before and never have to worry about a cap in the foreseeable future.

Remit_sl

shitlord
For 40 I would, for 20, no. With everyone here there's no way that would work.

I will however pay $65 a month for 1GB service again like I was before and never have to worry about a cap in the foreseeable future.
Why not 20? Do you know how much shit you can have going on 20Mbps?

6+ simultaneous HD streams
2MBps downloads
About 100 sessions of World of Warcraft open

EDIT: I think that the average consumer doesn't understand what is even possible on a given internet connection, and that is what I am driving at here. You see google gives 1Gbps, and hell yeah faster is always better, but it isnt really FASTER unless you are doing a large download. For real time applications on connections over 10Mbps, really latency is a better descriptor of "fast" rather than how many Mbps it is. A customer might use less than 300gb/month on their 20Mbps connection, but yet if they are offered 100Mbps for $10/month more, they pony up. They dont need it, wont use it, but they think it is so much better. When for their application, it isnt.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Why are you defensive about my hypothetical situation? Why go that route at all when for $65 I can have GB speeds with no cap anyway?

And I know first hand that with 5 people on the internet, 20GB chugs to keep up and I'd rather just not deal with it.