Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Even joining the civilized isn't that amazing. Charter regularly downloads at 65mbs a second (edit to clarify Mbps just wrote it weird), but upload is usually less than 5. Trying to use Nvidia game-stream from two Charter connections both downloading over 60 is nearly impossible because of upload speeds and have ton of bandwidth and latency issues. Makes even in-town family gatherings frustrating when I can't stream Fallout4 from my home computer and have to resort to playing mobile games. First world problems and all. Except I keep seeing news stories about fiber optics in the rest of the world, shit like most villages in Laos have fiber optic cable installed.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They don't have entrenched interests stalling access to the new hotness in developing nations. Innovation disturbs a cartel's profit margins.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And it does look like they do a weird split cap thing. One cap for regular usage, and then a 2am-8am additional data amount. That's about worthless.
33tAPM1.jpg
Man, they don't let us use anywhere near that much data up here. I guess it depends on how many people are using it in your spot beam or something.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
NY approves $55 billion Charter-Time Warner Cable deal - The Buzz: Business news

Well, NY has approved Charter buyout of Time Warner. Part of the approval requires Charter to offer 300 Mbps to the entire state by 2019. Considering I pay just shy of $60 for 15/1 Mbps, I can only imagine how expensive that would be. I highly doubt they'll meet that deadline, as there are places that don't get cable at all, especially in the Adirondack Park.

Feds and other states haven't approved it yet, so I'm wondering what other conditions will be attached
Will never happen. Telecoms have already shown utter disdain for requirements such as these in the past when they took federal money. Why would this be any different? The deal will happen and then service prices will go up for subscribers to cover the "unprecedented" network upgrades. Which will be about 1/5th of the speed that the deal required to begin with.

If they are fined, it will be a slap on the wrist that is no where near the monetary gain from the deal to begin with, and they will pass it on to the consumer who has no choice. They will of course then explain that the government is causing the increase in prices, and increase lobbying for "free market principles"

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds like one of the ISP's near me will do some sort of microwave point-to-point connection using a device called a Ubiquiti NanoStation or NanoBridge.

I would get either 5/1 mbps for $60 or 10/3 mbps for $81. No data caps.

Anyone know anything about these technologies or if they would work well?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have no useful information on that tech other than to say, good god those prices suck. Are you out in the boonies somewhere?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like one of the ISP's near me will do some sort of microwave point-to-point connection using a device called a Ubiquiti NanoStation or NanoBridge.

My brother used to have that. I would say it's better than satellite but not great. They had a lot of slow-downs and dropouts but at least they could watch Netflix most nights. If your options are that or satellite I would give it a shot.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire

How bad to they fuck you on setup costs for that?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I keep thinking I'll try cable TV. Then I look at the prices and I'm like 'noooooope'. It's like $80+ in TV packages before you start to even get a channel thatmightcarry something you want to watch and that's with a bundle.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Even though I signed up for Google Fiber almost a year ago and still don't have it (DAMNIT GOOGLE), they're at least scaring the shit out of Time Warner. I've had their $70 package for like 10 years. It was 25/5 for the longest time, then when Google announced they were coming to KC like 4 years ago, TW bumped it to 50/5 for the same price. Then a year or so later they bumped it to 100/5 for the same price, then when Google announced last year that they were coming to my specific suburb, TW bumped me again to 300/5 for the same price.

The 5mbps download is still ridiculous, but the 300mbps download is nice. I still never get 300 during prime evening hours though, it bogs down to more like 100-150ish

I'm still going to drop them immediately the day the Google Fiber line is connected to my house though. $75 for 1000/1000