Shōgun

Bald Brah

Silver Squire
I'm like 75% through the audiobook and aside from a couple spots where the reader does too good a job portraying crybaby Englishmen in a hole it's very good. Something I had never really thought about was how the 1800s are such the default pop culture time period of choice for anything involving ships. A story set in the very late 1500s to early 1600s gets to be fresh because we're just not there very often.
1600s were the golden age of Pirates. It's where all the great pirate stories are from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I'm like 75% through the audiobook and aside from a couple spots where the reader does too good a job portraying crybaby Englishmen in a hole it's very good. Something I had never really thought about was how the 1800s are such the default pop culture time period of choice for anything involving ships. A story set in the very late 1500s to early 1600s gets to be fresh because we're just not there very often.
Loved the narrator in the audiobook. For better or worse, it made me picture Jason Statham as Blackthorne when I listened to it a few years ago.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I agree the book dwells way too long on the sailors in the pit but the part where the guards who were overpowered are forced to remain due to their dishonour is fairly key early on in setting the concept of honour > all else.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I agree the book dwells way too long on the sailors in the pit but the part where the guards who were overpowered are forced to remain due to their dishonour is fairly key early on in setting the concept of honour > all else.

If I was reading it (and the other prison sequence) I'd have no complaints. Whimpering Englishmen are just a little aggravating to listen to.

spronk

FPS noob
holy fuckballs. some bactine though and she'll be ok

GLUKpZsWkAIeMYG.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Jesus Christ, wow was that an intense episode.
She's still an angel. Just in a slightly different way.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok wasn't the death different in the books? Thought it was a stab through the door?

I need to rewatch that scene again, I don't even know where they got the explosions so quick. Also I don't remember her trying to die. Maybe I'm mixing up stories

Last edited:

Cybsled

Same death in book and the original miniseries from the 80s

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Silver Squire
Laures quotes the re-telling of Hosokawa Gracia’s final moments by eyewitnesses as compiled by Father Valentin Carvalho, “When she had finished her prayer, she stepped away from her oratory, courageous and determined, and bade all servans and ladies who were with her to save themselves, since she alone wanted to die as her husband had ordered. The servants refused to leave and insisted on dying with her. For in Japan, it was not only custom and a point of honor in such cases to follow one’s mistress to death, but Gracia’s servants were also attached to her by such great love that they wanted to die with her. Nevertheless, she insisted on her will and all were compelled to leave. When they had gone she knelt down, invoked several times the names of Jesus and Mary and bared her neck with her own hands. Her head was cut off with one single stroke. Then the samurai covered her body with silk cloths, strewed gunpowder on it and set fire to it. Then they retired to the entrance hall, since they believed it was unbecoming for them to die in the same room as their mistress. There they disemboweled themselves and soon they themselves as well as the rich and luxurious palace were reduced to ashes. Only the ladies whom Gracia wanted to save escaped death. Weeping, they hurried to Father Organtino and told him all that happened.”

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I obviously am thinking of something different. I thought I knew the story, now I want to know what story I'm mixing it up with

spronk

FPS noob
crazy it was a 10 month shoot in vancouver

just started reading the shogun books, pretty easy read i just started late last week and already finished book 1, 2 books are the first season. Crazy how book 1 ends at basically episode 3, the showrunners really did an amazing job adapting it. after the show ends im gonna watch the 1980s mini series, i know my parents watched it and me and my younger siblings would sneak down and try to peek in and get chased out lol

also vaguely remember a late 80s Noble House TV adaption with a crazy hot asian chick in it.