Shōgun

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was hoping he is, there seemed to be enough foreshadowing with the ship and 'cannons being critical to their tactics' as well as the rather grand / improper 'You're all dead' seemed like a bit of a show. Or I am just seeing what I want to see.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I thought the implied plan was for the prostitute to come back with a gun and shoot Toranaga's brother in the head so that Toranaga would inherit his armies, and his son just acted on his own and fucked that all up. Before the madame came to him with the request for 2 Cho of land for the hoe retirement community, I don't think he had any plan to get out of his situation at all.

spronk

FPS noob
his son died as he lived, pussy whipped and hitting rakes every third step

love how so many characters in the show spend so much of their screen time asking for permission to kill themselves hahaha

so many good shots

GKPViWTXwAAbegE.jpg

lord dildo head

GKQzrlrW4AAEXIq.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
White boy definitely in on it. Way too out of character especially with his fate answer to toronaga. Toronaga suspects a spy in his camp and asked blackthorn to put on a show. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've put this on the back burner so catching up. I'm enjoying the hell out of it but feel like an idiot as a history nerd

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Damn, killed the poor gardener over the nasty bird. Poor bastard.

Cybsled

Damn, that was great. Can’t wait for the final 2

I also lol’d when the priest found out where he could build his church

• 2Like

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
First four episodes were great. Last 3 felt like filler. Not much plot advancement. Still the best show on TV though.

spronk

FPS noob
jesus that was an insane hour of TV. I felt like i got two extremes of Japan, the tea ceremony and the signature ceremony. Be very curious to see what Japanese people think of the show after it finishes, like if I saw an episode of a Japanese made western where a dude has 8 guns and is blowing bad guys away and then fucks his wife while drinking whiskey and a bald eagle flies over I'd clap and say that captured the essence of America perfectly

until the final Toranaga/Mariko scene I really, really had no clue what the fuck was going on lol, glad they didn't save that for next episode.

the actress for Mariko is just killing it, she is the super MVP of the show and everything she does is absolutely riveting, can't take your eyes off the screen. Goddamn she's cold hearted

GKtx1oAb0AAKgJz.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

My understanding is the series is being received well in Japan. The book Shogun and the series are inspired/based on true events, so people well versed with the actual history during that period might find some of the creative liberties. But then again, someone familiar with the actual history behind the movie Braveheart would find the movie annoying in that regard as an example.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My understanding is the series is being received well in Japan. The book Shogun and the series are inspired/based on true events, so people well versed with the actual history during that period might find some of the creative liberties. But then again, someone familiar with the actual history behind the movie Braveheart would find the movie annoying in that regard as an example.
Shogun, by all accounts, is written as historical fiction (that never claimed otherwise) that respects the underlying culture and people by not lying about historical figures. Braveheart uses real life names of people and tried to act like it had anything to do with real history in marketing for it. Instead, Braveheart was one of the worst successful historical movies in terms of accuracy.

As a modern example, from what I have read of Napoleon, it seems they were about the same as Braveheart in the historical accuracy department. Mel Gibson has a horrible record for accuracy and I'm sure he would agree with the Ridley Scott quote "When I have issues with historians, I ask: ‘Excuse me, mate, were you there? No? Well, shut the fuck up then."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I never read Shogun, though now I will. But I've read plenty of nonfic about this period. Not sure why the original novel never landed on my radar.

• 2Like

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
Shogun, by all accounts, is written as historical fiction (that never claimed otherwise) that respects the underlying culture and people by not lying about historical figures. Braveheart uses real life names of people and tried to act like it had anything to do with real history in marketing for it. Instead, Braveheart was one of the worst successful historical movies in terms of accuracy.

As a modern example, from what I have read of Napoleon, it seems they were about the same as Braveheart in the historical accuracy department. Mel Gibson has a horrible record for accuracy and I'm sure he would agree with the Ridley Scott quote "When I have issues with historians, I ask: ‘Excuse me, mate, were you there? No? Well, shut the fuck up then."
He got Robert the Bruce part about being a two faced cunt right.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He got Robert the Bruce part about being a two faced cunt right.
Sure, but not for any reason that they portrayed in the movie, or at least it's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember Robert the Bruce killing the man who was heir to the Scottish throne in a church in the movie.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hard to complain about a show this well done, but they are cutting out some of the best parts in the book involving Blackthorne.

• 1Solidarity

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
The first 4 episodes were magical. These last now 4 episodes have been slow filler with a surprise death at the end for some shock value. I understand they only have so much money to work with and are saving it for the last 2, but they aren't even really setting too much up. It's just plodding along with the plot frozen. No impressive sets, little to no action.

• 1EyeRoll

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
No impressive sets

I've lost interest with the show but in a world where Disney makes every show on an obviously CGI soundstage it was refreshing to have actors obviously on location with purpose built sets.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
I've lost interest with the show but in a world where Disney makes every show on an obviously CGI soundstage it was refreshing to have actors obviously on location with purpose built sets.
I agree but the last 4 episodes haven't really featured any. It's been all indoors for the most part with just conversations. Drastically different than the earlier episodes with the grand castles and impressive ships and large battle scenes.

spronk

FPS noob
buntaro constantly taking Ls all season, feel bad for the guy. its pretty weird getting told nah, you can't die with me TWICE in one day

also his child seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, poor kid. from what i know of japan from anime, he is probably in another dimension battling slime

• 4Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
buntaro constantly taking Ls all season, feel bad for the guy. its pretty weird getting told nah, you can't die with me TWICE in one day.

also his child seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, poor kid. from what i know of japan from anime, he is probably in another dimension battling slime
Buntaro is the most alpha guy in the show so of course he has to play the cuck.

• 1Like