Shadow of the Tomb Raider

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
$40 on steam already, not even a month old. note to self: never, ever buy a square enix game again at release

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Reading this thread bums me out, the first two were so good. How did they shit the bed so hard on the last?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't feel that they shit the bed. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and think that it's just as good as the first 2 IMO. It's just not as new/fresh since it's more of the same.
I think I'm getting near the end now and it's very intense.. have a lot of fun.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Reading this thread bums me out, the first two were so good. How did they shit the bed so hard on the last?

The same way they shit the bed with all the other games. They started out waaaay too fast and hopped right with both feet. They really needed to give it a little bit of time to stew a tad. Not have Lara going, "If we don't catch up with them, it's the end of the world. AND IT'S MY FAULT!" in the first two minutes of the game.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just finished it. gameplay wise it's more of the same, so if you enjoyed the first 2, you'll enjoy this one. story-wise? i feel like they REALLY dropped the ball on some really cool ideas. instead of something new and fresh, it was all pretty much more of the same. this basically turns out to be a vehicle to play the game, as opposed to playing the game to find out what's going on. if story isn't all that important to you, you'll probably enjoy this just fine. i was a little let down though, maybe that's because i also finally was able to play uncharted 4 right before this, so it all just felt a little lackluster.

i would have LOOOOOOOOOVED if trinity turned out to be the good guys actually trying to stop the crofts from unwittingly destroying the world repeatedly over and over again. lara croft is a TERRIBLE archaeologist. she literally breaks every relic she finds. the way the game starts, i got an extremely strong feeling that dominguez was doing just that. he seemed so frustrated that lara took the dagger without thinking and caused this apocolypse nonsense. sure, trinity has been heavy handed in the past games but it could easily be explained that lara is so bull-headed that they HAD to rush to the end to get it before she did. blind luck is the only reason she hasn't destroyed the world already. but, then they just decided to make dominguez a straightforward bad guy with no remorse. lara continues to bumble her way destroying relic after relic without any sense of "hey, i'm becoming a monster"

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really liked the first two games and I am struggling to even want to play this one anymore. The gameplay is mostly the same but the setting is much worse and way too much running around towns. And anything underwater is ass, as anyone who has ever played any game with a tacked on underwater mode can attest to.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, meh. The last TR game didn't have that much trouble with underwater stuff. I can remember one scene where you had to go around to different points and pull guys underwater and well... Kill them.

It's just when they add that "you can go anywhere" dimension, without telling you that you're going in the wrong direction.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed it, but I would say it’s about average and not special enough to warrant a broad recommendation like I gave the first two.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I don't even think they had a title screen appear in the beginning. I was totally bummed about it because the first one had that beautiful scenery where she's overlooking the shipwrecks and the title appears.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed it, but I would say it’s about average and not special enough to warrant a broad recommendation like I gave the first two.

yeah, like i said earlier, if you liked the first two, you'll probably enjoy this one for what it is. the gameplay is identical. the issue isn't that they fell apart at the seems and made a terrible game. the issue is that they had really great potential to make something better, but didn't.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
yeah, like i said earlier, if you liked the first two, you'll probably enjoy this one for what it is. the gameplay is identical. the issue isn't that they fell apart at the seems and made a terrible game. the issue is that they had really great potential to make something better, but didn't.
The story and setting were disappointing. The game itself has got decently high production value, but the story lacks charm and interesting hooks. My bet is that they brought in the writer(s) at the 11th hour after all the major plot details had been decided (based on gameplay/mechanics/preproduction art) and the writer(s) did their best to stitch it all together. There are some areas where I could see they might’ve cut some key plot developing content, but in general it felt more like an underdeveloped story - not a story that had been heavily edited. In fact,

I’d wager that they got feedback that the story was bland and needed some emotional hooks so they hamfisted in some tragedy and gave Lara the appropriate reaction for someone who’d been a lifelong native or close friend experiencing traumatic loss... except she’d actually only been there a few days and barely knew anyone. It made me think, “Really?” and chuckle a bit rather than choke up and empathize with Lara.

Nonetheless, I did genuinely enjoy the game. I got pretty close to 100%ing it. I’m just disappointed that the game didn’t live up to its potential.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I don't really like the Challenge tomb concept. Original TR was huge tombs with some combat in between, now it's just open world combat and every now and then the game tells you "hey, optional challenge tomb nearby!"

By the way, with all this SJW crap in these games, how much longer until we get generic evil henchwomen to shoot? If women can be anything men can be, why not be some unnamed goon giving us 25 experience for receiving a bullet to the head?

a generic evil henchwoman can only give 77% of experience that a generic evil henchman can

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
i couldn't even honestly make heads or tails of the story. why the fuck would taking a dagger trigger "the apocalypse"? What kind of fucked up society sets up that situation? Wasn't the sun / moon and a solar eclipse directly tied to it? How the fuck could it line up exactly with the eclipse happening? Was this a worldwide phenomena and millions of people died from floods and earthquakes or was it only around the tiny region of the world Lara was around? What was even the historical basis for all this weird shit going on? It all seemed so vague and unexplained in the game.

I just hadda shrug my shoulders and say "... ok, its video game story mode i guess" but if they were gonna go back to mystical settings I wish they had done a far, far better job setting it all up. The game SHOULD have started 3-500 years ago, you played one of those Spanish Trinity people hunting for the artifacts and you learn about its history and power before cutting back to modern day Lara. Dump Dominguez as a villain, he was shitty, and instead have the main Trinity guy be the bad guy who is a descendant of Trinity conquistadors.

also lol, Shadow got review bombed on steam because of the 35% sale it has had this week, over 600 negative reviews pouring in (remember, you have to own the game now to put a review up on steam)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider review bombed because of 34% discount | PC Gamer

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Andreamorris

Bronze Squire
This game is very good. I am enjoying it very much. I was not going to get this but want to give it a try once. I picked up a Playstation store guthaben 50 kaufen for $60 thanks to PSN’s credit deal and Sony rewards, got this at a really great deal. So not going to regret buying this. Also this game series is very nice.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's the SciFi channel mode of story telling. "It doesn't matter if it makes sense, only that it's enjoyable."

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Hideo Kojima is to Japan as is Tim Burton to America.

"Look at my work... Isn't it beautiful?"

Us : "...wat?"

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This game is very good. I am enjoying it very much. I was not going to get this but want to give it a try once. I picked up a Playstation store guthaben 50 kaufen for $60 thanks to PSN’s credit deal and Sony rewards, got this at a really great deal. So not going to regret buying this. Also this game series is very nice.

Lol at this shill.

At least they could have spent an extra few bucks and got someone that speaks english

• 1Worf