Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Load times on PC with an SSD were fine. I died a lot during certain sequences where it wasn't obvious to me where I should be leaping, so I saw the loading screen a lot...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's not the load time I was talking about. It only takes a few seconds to load after you die on PS4 too. It's the initial load and campfire to campfire "fast" travel load times that are more than a minute. Fortunately there's rarely a need to fast travel other than when you unlock a new gadget.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, I'm just waiting 'till they do some patching. Hopefully that'll resolve some of it, but prolly not.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I received it yesterday in the mail from Gamefly.

Initial impressions on Xbox One X.

1) Graphics, 4k, and HDR are fantastic.
2) I haven't run into input lag issues this time around, thank God.
3) First Tomb I did was really boring.
4) Jonah is my favorite character and I do not like the new Lara (Seems her face is different)
5) Lara definitely seems to be going off the deep end.
6) Shooting is pretty bad coming from Uncharted 4.
7) Sound design is absolutely epic.
8) Story seems interesting so far. But not due to characters but the
Apocolypse
Theme.

I want to see more creative tombs, and there shouldn't have been tombs added as DLC. They should have had all of them in the game.

Skills and such seem bloated but I never cared much for those that much anyway in the thick of Tomb Raider games, it's been more about puzzle solving for me.

Will be playing a lot more tonight.

spronk

FPS noob
ut, are you running the game in high framerate (not sure if thats 4k) or high resolution (def 4k) mode?

finished the game, there is a bug where artifacts aren't counting towards 100% so it may be impossible to get the plat but since you have to finish the game in hardest difficulty for it i'm not sure how many people care.

i liked some of the sequences but some were really mediocre. 2-3 of the tombs were really cool, the rest were blah. thought the ending was pretty tropey and kinda boring, just your usual boss fights and it was weird how little combat there was leading up to it. it feels like something got cut out of the game between you and the 2nd in command guy. I never really understood the core story of the game or whats going on, it all seemed super weird. The end credits are insane, its run for 20 mins so far and hasn't stopped, so much money must have been spent making it. There is a secret ending after the credits, not sure if you get it if you skip credits.

Trinity felt like a bunch of retards in this game, that was the biggest disappointment. Overall I'd recommend it to any TR fan but as I said before, may wanna just wait until the GOTY edition with all DLCs is 50%+ off, no real reason to rush and play now and there are quite a few bugs with collection tracking. No real bugs otherwise though, but yeah not a fan of combat it just feels like I am fighting the UI more than enemies and it totally lacks the intuitive feel of other great games.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
ut, are you running the game in high framerate (not sure if thats 4k) or high resolution (def 4k) mode?

I am running in 4k high resolution mode. Solid 30 and not much, if any, drop.

But I also watched a digital foundry video where it said the Xbox One X was averaging around 40-50fps while in frame rate mode (Edit: Sorry I am getting this confused with the PS Pro version - X seemed to hold a fairly stable 60) - so I figured I would just go for the extra graphics - and it looks pretty amazing.

I do wish they had better HDR calibration for some games. This tomb raider game has minimal config options in which I would have to adjust settings on my display (Which I hate doing because I have everything the way I want it) to get the proper config - but last night I played the Forza 4 demo and the HDR configuration was top notch with two sliders, and when I played, the game looked fantastic (Once again, 4k mode)

With that said there was an option for Forza 4 for frame rate mode 60 fps and 4k 30 fps. I could have sworn they were going to have this be 4k60 but maybe I read that wrong. Either way, it's on gamepass so doesn't matter much.

Last edited:

Vorph

So bringing this talk out of the Nvidia thread where it doesn't belong, can a couple of you time how long your loads are? I'm not talking about when you die, that only takes like 3 seconds to load on my Pro. Fast travel to the campfire right next to Hidden City market takes an average of 1m15s for me. That's with a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD instead of the stock drive. Somewhat curious if the X really does load significantly faster, but mostly I'd like to know if others with the Pro have similar times. I haven't done a file system rebuild in safe mode in ages and it could be slowing mine down, but I don't like doing that shit unless I know there's a problem to be fixed.

I do wish they had better HDR calibration for some games. This tomb raider game has minimal config options
I'm not even convinced the HDR luminance setting in TR does anything at all. I mean... it looks great, but I can't see any change in game whether the slider is at min or max.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I can time that for you tonight. I'll fast travel to a camp and see how long it takes on the X. (Just a stock Xbox One X 1tb - no modifications)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So bringing this talk out of the Nvidia thread where it doesn't belong, can a couple of you time how long your loads are? I'm not talking about when you die, that only takes like 3 seconds to load on my Pro. Fast travel to the campfire right next to Hidden City market takes an average of 1m15s for me. That's with a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD instead of the stock drive. Somewhat curious if the X really does load significantly faster, but mostly I'd like to know if others with the Pro have similar times. I haven't done a file system rebuild in safe mode in ages and it could be slowing mine down, but I don't like doing that shit unless I know there's a problem to be fixed.

I'm not even convinced the HDR luminance setting in TR does anything at all. I mean... it looks great, but I can't see any change in game whether the slider is at min or max.

So load time on fast travel was 1:01. Stock drive on X.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing a fair amount and echo the general sentiment. It is an okay game and I'm enjoying it but it is no ones game of the year. Its basically the same setup as other games in the reboot, but reminds me personally more of 1 than 2 (which is good).

Graphics are gorgeous in 4K on Xboxonex. I really like how they enabled an option to turn off all the retarded super-vision stuff. It makes going into crypts and dealing with puzzles actually interesting. The pacing is kinda off and the game starts too slow. Jonah Friendzone is one of the most hilarious characters of all time and I always look forward to that poor, pathetic bastard being on screen. I literally Lold at one point where Lara goes "HE'S MY BEST FRIEND!!!" Watch NPCs die inside.

The worst thing about the game is the absolutely idiotic story. Like, it is so preposterous and stupid that you have to continually ignore it to get to the next map. The whole idea that Lara is some misplaced helper of the Peruvian people - meanwhile smashing into their tombs, stealing all their jade and gold, and selling it back to them for guns - is just so glaringly stupid that you have to put it aside. If I cared about that sort of thing I'd be annoyed.

Somehow they made Lara ugly. Was the world really so bad when we had a hot tomb raider shooting panthers in short-shorts? I think not, but the game isn't overwhelmingly SJW at this point either. Meh to that.

Anyway, 6 or 7 out of 10.

Headline: Bring On The Real Games Of Fall.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I’m about 22% complete. But I’ll hang on because the folks here say the last 33% is epic.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
id ask steam for a refund on this turd but my girlfriend is determined to get 100% on it so i guess im keeping this pos.

spronk

FPS noob
weird, on my xbox one X on a slow external hard drive (8TB Western Digital) load times are 30-40 seconds for me when I fast travel from Cozumel to Hidden City or vica versa. Even the initial load from main menu is 45-50 seconds.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
stuck around cause people in this thread said that the last third of the game was awesome and finished the game just now

well they lied, the last act blew as hard as the rest of the game. exceptionally short when you consider the build up you had in previous 2 games. in fact the final boss fight came up so quickly that i assumed there had to be another several hours of gameplay after it. i was shocked when it was just that.

ending was as nonsensical as the rest of the game, and total trash

just a disappointment all around.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm almost done and the last third of the game makes up for the really boring first two thirds. The game is not immersive at all, as everyone has said its pretty ludicrous that everyone talks in English, TO EACH OTHER, and Lara constantly evades capture even though she is the only white chick with a posh British accent for the closest 1000 miles. Its just so dumb.

The biggest flaw in the game is how much shit they scattered fucking everywhere. You can't take 3 steps without having 20 things to loot all around you. So the game loop is basically use Lara vision, loot shit, lara vision again, move 2 feet, loot some more, rinse and repeat. Yeah, its all optional shit you don't "need" but what kind of asshole gamer doesn't want to loot every single thing he can? Its also super immersion breaking how all these people tell you how poor they are and how life sucks and then you just stroll up behind them and casually take their six bars of jade which you sell for enough to feed a family for 10 years. Like motherfucker, why didn't you go sell your jade instead of leaving it out on the floor? You deserve to go extinct. The setting just sucks, I can't get behind giving a shit about any single character other than maybe getting Jonah laid (i thought he was gay for a while, a game where he is the power top in a threesome with lara would be epic and make SJWs happy).

Games like Yakuza, God of War, Spider-Man, Persona, Assassins Creed, etc I love because I feel 100% immersed in that world and really get into the character, world, and atmosphere. That has not really happened at ALL with this game, I felt way more immersed in the previous two TR games but here everything constantly throws you out of the world, not to mention the bad guy is total shit and all the stuff going on with Trinity makes ZERO sense as far as game story is concerned.

Some of the challenge tombs are ok, most are super boring but the galleon was fun but short. Again, something feels "missing" with them, like you don't really feel satisfied when you finish one because you didn't get something interesting, just another immersion breaking "wtf?" thing where completing a challenge tomb lets you turn Ancient Mayan secrets into "I CAN SHOOT AN AK-47 BETTER NOW" (da fuq)

The skills system is utter garbage, not once have I thought "oooh there is a skill i really want, time to collect points I can't wait to buy it". its all worthless garbage I never use. Their bizarre implementation of all these super drug things is just weird, you don't really need to use any of them and they last so little they are junk. Plus combat is a mess, I can't even imagine it on the hardest difficulty but on normal I can barely see shit around me and either its all super easy with a gun or its super insanely hard with big swarms.

Not really worth a buy at MSRP or even 50% discount, maybe when the full GOTY edition with the extra 7 challenge tombs and missions is on sale for 75% off in a year you can pick it up and finish the game, but I can't really come up with any reason to play now.

Plat'ing the game isn't awful but it does require two play throughs, as trophies are tied to difficulty (boo). I'm probably not gonna bother, even though I have like 80% of the collectibles done at this point.

Pretty much all of this.

Just stop at Rise of the Tomb Raider and be done with this series on a high note. Forget this game exists.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Beat the game. I will echo the statements that I was pretty disappointed with the game. I was flabbergasted that everyone spoke English when they were in South America; especially in areas where it is guaranteed that no one would speak English. This was the first TR/Uncharted game that I actually avoided side quests and just wanted to finish the game.

I actually just realized I never got the lockpick nor the ascender -- I don't think.

And, fuck the piranha.

• 1Like

Vorph

I actually just realized I never got the lockpick nor the ascender -- I don't think.
Those are from a vendor that shows up at the end of a side quest (the hidden city one from the kid who lost his dice), and then appears randomly out in the wild after that. If you don't do the side quest or don't buy everything she has the first time you meet her, you're pretty much screwed.

Actually, the locations might be fixed and just a matter of fast traveling a few times to figure out which spot she's at; I never bothered to look into it since I bought everything right away.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I actually stopped playing. It isn’t a good game at all. :(

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeh. Meh. I was excited about this, until I stopped playing about a week ago. Haven't been back since.

Bleh.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't really like the Challenge tomb concept. Original TR was huge tombs with some combat in between, now it's just open world combat and every now and then the game tells you "hey, optional challenge tomb nearby!"

By the way, with all this SJW crap in these games, how much longer until we get generic evil henchwomen to shoot? If women can be anything men can be, why not be some unnamed goon giving us 25 experience for receiving a bullet to the head?

• 1Like