Shadowbane Emulator opening this weekend for a week

This is a game I always wanted to play... but every time I tried, it ran like shit and crashed constantly. I know plenty of people who swear Shadowbane is the epitome of MMO PVP.

Cybsled

I had a half-elf blademaster (ranger based). I put lots of points into the running/sprint skills (they stacked), so I could get the fuck outta dodge if the fight went south lol. It worked pretty well...only centaur rangers could catch me.

Only open for a week, though? Unless they ultra boost XP gains and make building cities EZ mode, I'm not sure what can be accomplished in a week besides camping the NPC spots of the world (since the rest is barren because it was intended to be where the cities went).

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I think we are jumping into and joining the existing closed beta world. So there should be player cities on the map if they haven't recently put each other to the torch.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Shadowbane was awesome until you logged in one afternoon to a burning, crumbling city with your guild mates being raped all around you.

That's what happened to me. My little guild decided not to go along with the resident zerg (LOD?) and instead grouped into an alliance with several other smaller guilds to try and compete. We managed to avoid notice for a while. But then I came home one day and got all comfortable at my pc, logged in ready to go kill some mobs for upkeep gold, and saw a burning city when I entered the game. It was terrible!

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Shadowbane was awesome until you logged in one afternoon to a burning, crumbling city with your guild mates being raped all around you.

That's what happened to me. My little guild decided not to go along with the resident zerg (LOD?) and instead grouped into an alliance with several other smaller guilds to try and compete. We managed to avoid notice for a while. But then I came home one day and got all comfortable at my pc, logged in ready to go kill some mobs for upkeep gold, and saw a burning city when I entered the game. It was terrible!
Were you on the Death server at the time ? We were on Ice Isle vs LoD as well if so. Brutal fighting...

McCheese

Were you on the Death server at the time ? We were on Ice Isle vs LoD as well if so. Brutal fighting...
Yep, Death. I remember participating in one last, giant attack on LoD's main city on the Ice Isle before they pretty much curbstomped the server. It was fun, but ultimately futile.

My guild's city was pretty far away, on the main forest continent. We have a pretty sweet position that gave us control of a couple good runes, although I can't remember what they were exactly. We used to spend our days patrolling our area and killing people trying to get the runes.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yep, Death. I remember participating in one last, giant attack on LoD's main city on the Ice Isle before they pretty much curbstomped the server. It was fun, but ultimately futile.

My guild's city was pretty far away, on the main forest continent. We have a pretty sweet position that gave us control of a couple good runes, although I can't remember what they were exactly. We used to spend our days patrolling our area and killing people trying to get the runes.
Nod, we were a few clicks from LoD's main city on the Ice Island from the start. By far the most brutal month of pvp Ive ever experience in any mmorpg. The kick in the nuts was when we finally sacked their city only to have the GM's bring it back due to some bug / glitch they claimed occurred.

Cybsled

Lol, I was at that seige as well. I think literally the entire server was sieging their city. It was like .00001 frames per second.

McCheese

Lol, I was at that seige as well. I think literally the entire server was sieging their city. It was like .00001 frames per second.
Yeah it had horrible performance but it was pretty cool to see. I felt like a rebel fighter assaulting the death star. Except we lost in the end.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
This game was amazing back in the day, filled the void that UO left when it went to shit.

A SB emu a decade later tho? Doubtful.

Raign

Golden Squire
I am stoked to try this if for no other reason than the memories it will bring back. I LOVED this MMO back in the day -- it was ultimately the reason I left Everquest. The sb.exe errors coupled with constant crashes during sieges though just got to be too much though.

Rhuobhe

N00b
I might give this a look. I really enjoyed SB. I'd like to play a healer this time around. Are all healer classes pretty effective? I wonder if there were specific classes that were total shit like in some games.

I used to be an elf blade weaver. My guy looked totally phat

Back in the day I downloaded the free trial. Within 10 minutes got an SB.exe crash, then logged back in and fell under the world. Uninstalled.
frown.png

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Well it was a free trial. Collision detection with the ground came with the monthly charge.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Shadowbane had the best "design" of any video game I've played in the last 10 years. Too bad the actual implementation was crap.

I think I spent as much time trying to work out ideal character builds as I did actually playing the game. I'd love to see Shadowbane as re-imagined by Blizzard.