Shadowrun Online

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Thought I would mention that Shadowrun online is supposed to be in beta soonTM. Search for thread on this title came up nada, I think
wink.png

Shadowrun Online | The online Shadowrun game of the future

Turn based combat ??? wtf ??

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Looking forward to this big time.

Supposedly you can set how long you want turns, or turn it off altogether. For example, if you have a buddy you always team up with. Otherwise you can set turn length to help when pugging with assholes. Alternatively you can hire runners to fill up slots if you feel like running solo, GW style.

There will be a central hub area where you can move freely in a similar way to Shadowrun Returns during non-combat times. From here you pick up jobs or missions which are then instanced affairs.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
any mention of pvp?
Judging by Jagged Alliance Online, and the instanced nature of this game, I'm going to assume it'll work like JA:O. Instanced arena type affairs where you queue with a party of friends and get thrown in randomly against another party of players or AI.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So this was officially released yesterday after an extended period of alpha testing and whatnot. Interestingly they state there are still lots of things they want to implement in the game and the voice-acting is SO VERY TERRIBLE. Listening to them try to perform some version of a Boston accent with voice actors who have clearly never been in this country much less Southie is pretty damn funny, but hey at least they took the effort to record some voice at all.

You can play it with other people or you can 'hire' NPCs that you control to fill the remaining slots in your team. I will say that the difficulty is pretty unforgiving and you can be prepared to run even a few of the initial missions a few times before you succeed, especially on missions where your character's skills do not mesh up well with the content of the Run.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, lets get some reviews in here if possible. I really like the single player stuff from HBS, but this is not HBS.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
The reviews on Steam are all over the place. Most of the bad reviews are from disgruntled Kickstarter patrons though and from last year. It's just hard to tell whether it's worth 30 bucks or wait to see when it goes on sale.

Elsebet

Peasant
I played the NES version of Shadowrun as well as the pen and paper RPG. I might try this out just for fun.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I played the NES version of Shadowrun as well as the pen and paper RPG. I might try this out just for fun.
If you never played the Sega version you're missing out. Had some pacing problems like RPGs of that time period often did, but it's wildly different from the SNES game and a lot closer to the PnP.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The problem with turn based is the whole point is to facilitate control over an entire party. It sort of seems pointless when you only control one character.

That said, I have fond memories of AOL's NWN and if someone ever finds a way to emulate it I'd be all over that shit.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I am enjoying the game, but only as a single-player experience with me controlling my "main" character and the hired-help. Maybe I could enjoy running through stuff with a good buddy while talking over Mumble, but the delay in taking actions would slow things down considerably with a several person group.

I think its a worthwhile purchase if you enjoy Xcom style tactical combat scenarios with characters that have varied powers and abilities, but I wouldn't necessarily go into it for the MMO appeal.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, lets get some reviews in here if possible. I really like the single player stuff from HBS, but this is not HBS.
Yeah, I played Dragonfall and loved the storytelling and atmospheric experiences, thought the combat was meh and it was one of the buggiest games I've ever played.

I hear that this game has a garbage story that's super linear, but the combat is allegedly much better. I'm not sure whether I want to pick it up or not (though I'm definitely going to be getting Hong Kong when HBS finishes it).

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I played Dragonfall and loved the storytelling and atmospheric experiences, thought the combat was meh and it was one of the buggiest games I've ever played.

I hear that this game has a garbage story that's super linear, but the combat is allegedly much better. I'm not sure whether I want to pick it up or not (though I'm definitely going to be getting Hong Kong when HBS finishes it).
It's pretty clear that no one can do SR like Weisman- which makes sense, considering he is the de facto creator of the franchise. Dragonfall's story and atmosphere really couldn't have been any better. They were absolutely top-notch. I've already purchased Hong Kong, and I've never prebought a game in my life and the last time I preordered a game was more than ten years ago.

I didn't have any bug issues with Dragonfall, but I thought combat could be better and I DEFINITELY wanted it to be a little more of a sandbox. I *think* both of these things are supposed to be addressed with Hong Kong.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty clear that no one can do SR like Weisman- which makes sense, considering he is the de facto creator of the franchise. Dragonfall's story and atmosphere really couldn't have been any better. They were absolutely top-notch. I've already purchased Hong Kong, and I've never prebought a game in my life and the last time I preordered a game was more than ten years ago.

I didn't have any bug issues with Dragonfall, but I thought combat could be better and I DEFINITELY wanted it to be a little more of a sandbox. I *think* both of these things are supposed to be addressed with Hong Kong.
I had so many freezes during Dragonfall that I can't name them all. Most of the time missions would freeze during the AI turn and I would be forced to reload an earlier save. Sometimes the game would freeze when trying to load the matrix when I had a Decker jacked into it. The most notorious bug was druing the first Black Lodge mission, when you have to sneak into the corporate building with a pre-assigned party. During the part where you have to choose between killing two people, killing one of them would cause the level to be incompleteable because the level exit would inexplicably turn off.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had so many freezes during Dragonfall that I can't name them all. Most of the time missions would freeze during the AI turn and I would be forced to reload an earlier save. Sometimes the game would freeze when trying to load the matrix when I had a Decker jacked into it. The most notorious bug was druing the first Black Lodge mission, when you have to sneak into the corporate building with a pre-assigned party. During the part where you have to choose between killing two people, killing one of them would cause the level to be incompleteable because the level exit would inexplicably turn off.
Very strange. I had none of those issues. It may be that I purchased a subsequent build that already incorporated fixes. I honestly can't remember how long I waited after release to purchase.