Shadowrun Returns

Lusiphur

Peasant
Fuck stealth in CRPG's. Seriously, fuck it in its eyes. Anyone who has played The Castle mission in TSW knows exactly what I mean.
For stealth to work the game has to be built around allowing it as a solution. In CRPG's, it is always tacked on, so it's either ridiculously op or frustrating beyond belief.

Sure, but if the guy just refuses to give himself options in lower-force situations because he wants to roll the highest damage numbers possible, it's up to the GM to show him the error of his ways.
Can always hire NPCs for the boring shit like rigging or decking.

Damn I'm slow, still on the Universal Brotherhood part. Only other gripe besides linearity is the save system. But it is workable considering none of the maps are excessively long. Game is totally worth the $20 bucks and glad I kickstarted it. BTW, there will be another official campaign set in Berlin:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/...nd-whats-next/

Which should be free because it was part of the stretch goals? Hopefully it is longer and a bit less linear.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
BTW, there will be another official campaign set in Berlin:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/...nd-whats-next/

Which should be free because it was part of the stretch goals? Hopefully it is longer and a bit less linear.
At first, I decided to refrain from responding sarcastically to thisstartling"news", in the hopes of gaining somekarma. But, then I remembered that my choice of response would have no bearing on the outcome anyway.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Couldn't resist.
tongue.png

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Having fun going through thisdespiteall the issues. And boy are there issues.
I enjoyed it, I've still not completed it yet as after a decking run my game bugged, characters stuck in walls etc, and I lost about an hours gameplay due to the laughable save system.

I can see the potential it has with UGC, which is massive. However, at the moment it's just meh. And god damn, whoever green lighted that save system needs to be taken out back and shot.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where's mah Ranger Arms SM-3 sniper rifle??? Hopefully they can add that class of weapon at some point
wink.png

Love the game but there is definitely room for lots of improvement, for me most notably the non combat parts of the game. My old SR pnp character was heavily invested in contacts (the 1mil nuyen starting option) along with the charisma boosting cyberwear, etiquette skills, and so forth. We kind of would do a session with me and the GM before runs, where I would use my high level contacts (corps, Lonestar, UCAS military etc) to gather information on runs or acquire our team specific items they wanted. On actual runs I just provided covering fire with a sniper rifle, surveillance, and lookout for Lonestar etc. While my combat role was limited, my impact on the missions was considerable.

That was why SR was probably my favorite pnp game of any tabletop, and that whole shadowy world of fixers, johnsons etc outside of combat was just as important (at least in our group and to my GM) as the actual combat itself and drew me instantly when I read how important it was. In the tabletop game of course all the best gear had availability ratings, and if you wanted K+ military grade items (cyberware, ammo, guns esp the big ones....) you needed very very good contacts or an army to bust in to someplace like Ares.

I would *love* to see something in game where options for rare things opened up through these kinds of skills. Also, concealability was one of the most important traits in the game. Cant easily sneak in somewhere with a Panther cannon like you can in this game. Finding gear that was both powerful and easily hidden was the hard part since you couldn't exactly go in all Matrix-esque through the front doors of most places with guns blazing and hope to have any chance to live.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm planning on picking this up soon... what's the word on UGC? the steam workshop seems to have a ton of them at this point and NO idea how to sift through what's worth playing or not.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Just got my swag from the Kickstarter. Tshirts are high quality and the usb dogtags with a copy of the game are actually pretty nifty. Got the art book too which is really well edited, can tell they put some time into this "collectors edition"

Noahx

N00b
I got it for xmas - worth the 8$ (on sale). Take a little time and read the text. Combat is pretty boring / non inventive ... I went Decker/Rigger. Little frustrating as Decker isn't used much but pretty cool when you can take advantage of it.

Been thinking of going adept or tricked-out/implanted sam... anyone know if melee is any decent or a pita running after people?

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Loved the game. Never played the tabletop since I hate any system that plays like Storyteller. That aside I enjoyed SR:R will get the Berlin campaign and really hyped about the MMO.

Dead Man's Switch is incredibly short. Less than 20 hours for someone like me and I'm going to say less than 15 hours for the average FoH/RR denizen. I explored every nook and cranny and even restarted when I figured out I liked ranged more. Melee is kind of pointless. Still, loved it. I'm planning another play through where I'm all melee.

anyone know if melee is any decent or a pita running after people?
To be honest you do melee because you want to roleplay you're melee. Not because it's more effective or balanced against guns. Range really doesn't have any disadvantage such as ammo, jamming, or close distance penalties. Don't recall what advantages you get for being adjacent to an enemy while holding a melee weapon and using ranged. Although that can be solved by using pistols. My first ranged build rarely got any action since my runners could just double tap from several squares away before she could walk up to enemies and whack them with her katana. I got fed up and said fuck it, gave her a rifle and was done with it.

Unfortunately there really isn't any UGC that'll come even close to the main campaign in terms of content. I was playing Shadowrun: Unlimited for a bit. It promises to have a lot of content including more of a sandbox world, however it's alpha at best and after a few hours you'll have done everything there is to do. Dialog and options are very shallow. He is adding quite a bit of mechanics that I really like. Most of those features are incomplete or buggy. Renting apartments, Reputation, Weapon permits, and so on. Like any mod done for free, who knows when it'll be in a more complete state.

Aside from that, if anyone knows of some solid UGC campaigns that have as much content as DMS or more, feel free to recommend. I have no interest in Shadowrun SNES Reboot btw.

Caliane

I dont think this was ever talked about here.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall | Harebrained Schemes

Berlin expansion was announced back in Nov, to be released in January.

HADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL FEATURES

Experience a New Full-Length Campaign: Return to the ?Tech meets Magic? future of Shadowrun as you and your team of runners get drawn into a treacherous conspiracy. Operating out of an offbeat central hub neighborhood, you?ll choose which missions to accept and how you?ll approach them while navigating the dark underbelly of ?the Flux?.

An Exciting New Locale: Shadowrun: Dragonfall transports runners to the Free City of Berlin, a thrilling Shadowrun setting full of gorgeous new hi-res environments, a diverse new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack by the composer of the original Sega Genesis Shadowrun game, Sam Powell.

Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners, each with their own outlook and backstory. Each member of your team is designed to play an interesting role during missions and has a unique set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

New Weapons, Cyberware, Enemies & More: Try your hand at the long-range sniper rifle, devastating grenade launcher, or stun-inducing taser. Chrome yourself out in the latest cyberware and take on deadly new enemies ? including new magical creatures like gargoyles and fire drakes. Dragonfall brings a host of new items, characters, portraits, and improvements to the Shadowrun Returns experience.

Save Anywhere: You can save your progress at any time during the game. This functionality will also be added to the original Shadowrun Returns ?Dead Man?s Switch? campaign.

New Game Editor Features: A wide range of enhancements to the game editor for community content creators ? including a scripting system to better control lighting, tracking mission objectives in the main game UI, placing exploding barrels, and allowing players to input keypad passwords and custom text strings in conversations. In addition, content creators will be able to use all of the new Berlin environment art, items and characters in their own stories along with assets from the original Shadowrun Returns campaign.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall will be released January 2014 for Windows, OSX, and Linux and will be free to Backers who will get the same number of Steam keys received for the original game via our Backer website. (Details about getting the DRM-free version will come in a future update.)

Dragonfall will launch at $14.99 and we?ll also release the Shadowrun Campaign Pack on the same day. The campaign pack contains the original game and the Dragonfall expansion in one package for only $24.99. We think it?s a great way to get new players into Shadowrun.

And finally, here?s a new wallpaper for y?all. We can?t wait to show you more Dragonfallover the next two months!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Was given this for X-mas. At first I was WTF is this? Since I had never heard of it, but so far I'm loving it. I've always had a thing for near-future/cyberpunk settings and this plays well. Reminds me alittleof Fallout 1 and 2. And I love the isometric 3D graphics (Hey, I grew up in the 90's! Sue me!) though I feel you should have been able to zoom in a bit more. I'm not far into the first campaign, but my only gripe is not being able to save except at the start of locations which I see they are changing. The only reason this bothers me is because I sometimes have to leave the computer at short notice and don't like to leave games running.

If you like cyberpunk type RPGs I'd say buy this while it's on sale.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This game is definitely my biggest disappointment in recent memory.
For $20 I think it's a good value. Hopefully people will start cranking out some good stuff soon, but I can see myself playing through the existing campaign a couple of times as different kinds of characters.
It's important to remember that this was only $20. Even with the campaign being a bit underwhelming, I don't feel like I've been ripped off.

Now if it was a $60 retail game, I'd feel differently.
Hmm