Shaving

tt33_sl

shitlord
Supposedly beards are coming back into fashion. Saves all the hassle!
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

wizarddeath_sl

shitlord
So I've been comptemplating a straight razor for awhile now since I am tired of the whole changing blades on this mach crap. I have been using normal shaving cream with a brush prior(I got it from The Body Shop for a gift.)

Would this set be ok? its sort of similar to some of the linked ones, but I wanted one with a cup/bowl for the soap.
http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur...=pd_sbs_hpc_42

or
Would this one be better with just the set peices?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The 2nd link would be fine if you already have a brush. The only reason to get the stuff in the first link is if you wanted to leave the stuff sitting out as a bathroom decoration. Personally I don't like clutter on my bathroom counter(or the thought of invisible poop particles getting on my razor & brush from flushing the toilet) so I just throw all my stuff in a drawer anyways.

A large coffee mug works fine for shaving cream if you want a mug/bowl, there's nothing special about the expensive ones you buy in a store other than the looks.

The absolute biggest thing you can do when switching to DE shaving is to buy a sampler pack of blades off Amazon. Every person has a different experience with each blade, nothing works for everyone. Spend your money on a sample pack, the actual razor itself and brushes/creams/accessories are all secondary in importance to the blade you eventally choose.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Up until about a month ago I used a small bowl that's a little bigger than a mug that came with a set, and never got a great lather. I switched to just a regular sized bowl from my kitchen and my lather has been nuts ever since. Just having the extra surface area made a HUGE difference in the quality and volume of lather for me.

Imo go with the second razor, pick up a $10-$15 brush, and a $15-$25 stand and you're set. Here's what I got when I started out and been real happy with it all (that's the bowl I was using before that I ditched):

The first set is pretty overpriced. You could piece it out for much cheaper. The second link is a good razor (or so I've heard) but you can get a Gillette Tech off of Fleabay for like 1/3 to 1/2 the price (if you don't mid it being used) and it will shave just as good. Can't stress the blade sampler enough, everyone has their preferences.

As for the soap. I would stay away from the Col. Conk. Its ok, but nothing special and it doesn't later that great. I would recommend Proraso, Williams and Razorock over it based on personal experience.

Hoobastain_sl

shitlord
So I've been comptemplating a straight razor for awhile now since I am tired of the whole changing blades on this mach crap. I have been using normal shaving cream with a brush prior(I got it from The Body Shop for a gift.)

Would this set be ok? its sort of similar to some of the linked ones, but I wanted one with a cup/bowl for the soap.

or
I have the Merkur set you linked. It's my first safety razor, and I really like it compared to the Mach 500whatever razors. I'd say I only use the shaving soap about half the time I shave, though. I don't see much benefit over regular old shaving foam. After I eventually use up the solid soap bar, I want to try some other non-solid shave gels.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For me, most of the benefit of using a brush + shaving soap/cream is the brush itself. Massaging my stubble with the brush for a minute or two while it applies the lather helps the hairs stand up, and they're easier to cut. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd still get a pretty decent shave even using something as simple as Barbasol shave cream or Gillete Fusion Pro Gel, as long as I applied it with the badger brush. With DE shaving, I think the order of importance of items goes blades > brush > cream/gel/soap.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I use a 1960 Gillette Adjustable (Fat Boy). Got it from my father about a year ago. I have two other DE razors that I basically never use.

Now I need to make a son so I can pass it on to him in 40 years.

For me, most of the benefit of using a brush + shaving soap/cream is the brush itself. Massaging my stubble with the brush for a minute or two while it applies the lather helps the hairs stand up, and they're easier to cut. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd still get a pretty decent shave even using something as simple as Barbasol shave cream or Gillete Fusion Pro Gel, as long as I applied it with the badger brush. With DE shaving, I think the order of importance of items goes blades > brush > cream/gel/soap.
Honestly that all depends on who you ask also. I personally think the soap and blades are a tie simply because I would get terrible razor burn using regular shaving cream. I know a lot of people that insist that regular shaving cream dries your face out due to certain chemicals and that the shave soaps have more natural moisturizers and therefore lead to better shaves and better skin afterwards. But in the end its whatever the fuck you like best.

I actually fucked around and made my own shave soap from some coco butter DIY soap kit from a craft store and put in glycerin (gives better lather), vitamin E and crushed up aspirin (exfoliant). Shits cash.

Also kudos on the fatboy Ronaan, great fuckin razor.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Those of you looking to save money on shaving should try the easiest trick of all: dry your razor cartridges with a hair dryer after you shave. Razors dull out primarily from micro-corrosion, not from cutting your hair. If you get the moisture off the blades after every use a single cartridge will last for months. I've used something like three cartridges in the last two years.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...isposabl/ncxf/

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

or
Don't buy any Merkur sets. They are overpriced and not worth it. I own the Edwin Jagger 89L and have been using it for 1.5 years now. It's a decent razor, but I would prefer a more aggressive shave after being more adept at wet shaving. I would also recommend the Merkur 34C HD. This is the most popular safety razor in the world, so it must be doing something right. I would go with the Omega Pro 10048 for brush (also what I use). Cheap and good. It's a boar brush so it will have a smell when you first get it. Soak it in hot water and wash it a few times with shampoo or soap.

As for cartridge vs wet shaving, it's all preference. I personally would never go back to cartridge shaving. I get razor burn like hell and there are just spots I can never shave with a cartridge no matter which angle I go at. I haven't tried the newest Fusion Proglide, which is supposed to be very good, but I have no incentive to try. I get a really good shave with my safety razor already.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What is the benefit of going with a boar brush over a badger brush?

I've been using my Merkur safety razor for about 7 months now and it really is much better than the cartridge shit. I have the method down now and I never cut or nick myself or get any kind of razor burn. I am pretty sure I am going to change up supplies because I amusing one of the kits from the Art of Shaving store and it is ludicrously expensive.

When you guys speak of the Merkur being a more "aggressive" shave are you talking like an overall closer shave with the same amount of passes or whatever?

I'm still on my first safety razor, going on about 8 months of the Edwin Jagger De89. If it's an overall better shave I feel like I could move up now that the training wheels are off on wet shaving.

Also wondering about the lifespan of the brushes. I have an Escali badger brush that does feel a bit softer these days, like it's not doing as much exfoliating or the bristles just kind of smooth over instead of staying stiff.

Boar is cheaper but stiffer, badger ranges from a bit more expensive to a hell of a lot more expensive but the softness increases with the pricetag generally

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so is a safety razor better if i have sensitive skin? someone wanna give me the simplest explanation how a safety razor is better/different than my run of the mill gillette fusion proglide.

i have very sensitive skin, i have the extra sens shaving cream but it does not do much for razorburn, ingrown hairs etc.

so for you guys with baby skin like me, how do you shave? and with what.

2 reasons, 1. The shaving cream most people switch to when they go to safety razor shaving is generally much better for your skin. 2. With a multi-blade razor theres, well, more blades. So say you have a 4 bladed razor and you make 3 passes, thatskindalike doing 12 passes with your safety razor...more passes is more irritation.

Prep is the best thing for sensitive skin, hot shower, pre shave oil, alum afterwards, whatever floats your boat.