Shaving

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I buy Derbys online for about $8/100. I'm cheap so that's what I use, but all this talk about Feathers made me find my old stash and try one again. Night and day. Feathers are $31/100 and I just might treat myself. I get 5 days from a Derby. If I can get that from a Feather, I'm a convert.

Another good blade is the black labeled Wilkonsons you can get at Walmart for $1.80/10. Smoother than Derbys, not as nice as that Feather I used this morning.

Eric

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Of all the ones I've used so far I think Derby is by far my favorite, also. I don't think I've used a feather yet, though. Considering I have to change my blades after 1 or 2 days I prefer the cheaper ones.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just came in today. I didn't know what aggressiveness I should be shaving at, and it was rough going against the grain. I cut myself in a few places, but my skin doesn't feel raw after shaving like with my EJ89. This is my second safety razor so I was a bit amazed when the shave felt infinitely better. Conclusion: EJ89 is not so good.

2A8zOcv.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I have never actually shaved with anything but an electric, and it's something of a secret shame. My dad never really did the whole "this is how you shave a beard" thing with me and I just never learned how. So I'm scruffy all the time, shave once or twice a week with an electric and call it a day. I should probably fix that.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have never actually shaved with anything but an electric, and it's something of a secret shame. My dad never really did the whole "this is how you shave a beard" thing with me and I just never learned how. So I'm scruffy all the time, shave once or twice a week with an electric and call it a day. I should probably fix that.
Once you go wet shaving, you'll never go back.

Fusion Proglide Power Razor will also work without cutting your face up.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
That's how I was. I owned a company; had to meet clients, but I could only shave twice a week. I hated it. I was one scruffy MF. Since switching to wet shaving, I shave everyday, having only missed one day in the last 6 months. I look forward to it. I love the feel, the mixture of old world and new tech. But most of all, I love the aroma of whipping up a bowl of shaving cream that smells like marzipan and then splashing on aftershave that I know makes me smell suave and debonair.

Good Times,
Eric

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It certainly has its allure, I've just never taken the plunge and ordered a safety razor. Pretty sure I'd cut myself to ribbons for a while and look ridiculous. I've never used a multiblade razor either though, so I don't think I'd have to unlearn anything.

I just turned 31 a week ago. Maybe it's time.
tongue.png

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
It certainly has its allure, I've just never taken the plunge and ordered a safety razor. Pretty sure I'd cut myself to ribbons for a while and look ridiculous. I've never used a multiblade razor either though, so I don't think I'd have to unlearn anything.

tongue.png
http://www.italianbarber.com/dollar-a-month-shave-kit
http://www.italianbarber.com/omega-1...-shaving-brush
Just add any soap, alum block or after shave of your choice and you are set for 1 year. I recommend RazoRock because they are cheap and good.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

tongue.png
Do it. It literally could not get simpler: you drag a sharp object across your face. With electric razors I was always going over the same area multiple times in multiple directions to get a close-ish shave, and with cartridges I had to be careful about the direction I shaved to avoid irritation. With DE safety razors it's just lather, drag the blade, done. Lather and drag again if you really want to get that baby-smooth look.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finally got around to getting one of those sampler packs of razors. First try was the Derby blade. I've never actually shaved with a jagged rock, but if I did that is how I imagine it would feel. jesus fuck, bros.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I finally got around to getting one of those sampler packs of razors. First try was the Derby blade. I've never actually shaved with a jagged rock, but if I did that is how I imagine it would feel. jesus fuck, bros.
I did say Derby is a shit blade. Every other blade is better than Derby.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A few guys in this thread recommended them so I figured I would try that first. Man, it was literally the worst blade I have ever shaved with.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To each his own I guess, I can't shave with anything except a Derby. Everything else tears my face apart. I feel like i have a stupid face though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe I just got a defective blade or something. I have dry shaved with old school disposable Bics and it didn't burn and pull like that Derby did.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
There are too many variables involved. What shave cream/soap, what razor, what's your beard like, what's your technique, been doing this for a while, etc.? Derby's don't seem to work for you, but that doesn't mean they're shitty blades. It's actually too bad for you because they're the cheapest thing going. They work OK for me. Others are sharper at 4 times the price and no gain in longevity.

I use Cella soap and a Gillette Red Tip razor. Maybe the slickness of the soap and the aggressiveness of the razor make Derbys work. Maybe I'm so cheap, cost is more important than anything else. Who knows?

Eric

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've made a horrible mistake. Started using Feather blades a couple months ago, and absolutely love them. Was finally about out of my little 20-pack that I had bought, so decided to go for the big savings and order a 100-pack. Well, on Amazon at least, all the 100-packs actually ship from Japan where they are made, via boat or whatever. Estimated delivery time is like 27 days, with no option for anything faster.

So now I'm out of feathers, and everything else feels like shaving with a rusty butter knife. Shit's tearing up my face since I was used to feathers. These next few weeks are going to suck. I'll need to plan ahead a little better next time.