Shitter’s Full - An RV Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I sold mine. It was worth $16k more than it was before covid.

Mine was a PITA. Thing broke down the morning I was going to drop it off to sell.
They are mostly built like shit including Airstreams. You need to be very handy and enjoy fixing things or you will hate RVing.

Fucker

Log Wizard
They are mostly built like shit including Airstreams. You need to be very handy and enjoy fixing things or you will hate RVing.
Yes, mine was a particularly giant POS. My next set up will be this...weekday overnight fishing trips or whatever. Good for going where no one else is staying.

203532f61e1082f806a6776659bd1e8f.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have friends who are currently traveling the country in an Airstream. They took the year and took their kids out of school because online school was still an option, so they're hybrid online/home schooling. But every day they're on the move, and they're seeing all the national parks and such. Amazing for their family, the kids are having a blast.

When they are done, they're paying to put a concrete pad on my property and I'm going to tie it in to my septic/electric, and they're going to rent it as an AirBNB, I get half their profits. They don't have to pay to store it, I make a little money with zero effort. Apparently the furnace and insulation is good enough for winter, so all year long it can be rented.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Realized my 2019 RAM 1500 wasn’t going to cut it hauling an Airstream, so had to upgrade:

B6029D4F-9DE3-461A-843C-78FFE304B648.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Realized my 2019 RAM 1500 wasn’t going to cut it hauling an Airstream, so had to upgrade:

View attachment 377597

I went with the 2500 hemi as well, put duel zone airbags on it, thuran front coils and thuran's fox ifp's all round to support our flat bed four wheel camper

looks somewhat like this:

fullsizeoutput_284c-scaled.jpeg

We wanted small (ish) for off road capability and getting deep into blm lands, while having it be good enough for the wife and toddler, WHILE ALSO still having a number of elements of "roughing it" for the kid growing up. 9 month backorder for the camper for us (got it last april), now up to like 18 months or some crazy shit. We've had it in some pretty crazy spots so far.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sledge

Trakanon Raider

View attachment 377597

Nice truck. Is that a 2021? If so, have you noticed the 8 speed disabling cylinders like your 2019 did? I know it does but I'm wondering if it's as noticeable or if they reprogram it for the 2500. I've got a 2018 1500 and I'm thinking about moving all the way up to the 3500 commercial or 4500 because I'm not a fan of how soon they go into 7th gear and I have to disable the cylinder deactivation every time I drive to keep it from shutting off half my engine.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Nice truck. Is that a 2021? If so, have you noticed the 8 speed disabling cylinders like your 2019 did? I know it does but I'm wondering if it's as noticeable or if they reprogram it for the 2500. I've got a 2018 1500 and I'm thinking about moving all the way up to the 3500 commercial or 4500 because I'm not a fan of how soon they go into 7th gear and I have to disable the cylinder deactivation every time I drive to keep it from shutting off half my engine.

Its a 2022 2500 Laramie. My previous truck was a 2019 1500 Laramie.

I have no idea what you’re talking about, haha.

The only thing that’s noticeable is how much of a rougher ride the 2500 is over the 1500. The 1500 rides like a Lexus.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I was told that some 2022 Laramie's don’t have power seats bc they didn’t have enough chips 👀

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
The gas engines have cylinder deactivation so if you aren't giving it much throttle the computer quickly deactivates half the cylinders. All of the 1500's have had this for quite a while. It feels even worse with the 8 speed transmission because you're in 7th gear around 38mph, then it kills off 4 cylinders and you don't have instant power. When you give it more throttle, it jumps back into 8 cylinder mode. I've driven commercial vehicles or manuals for the past 25 years so it was very noticeable to me.

If you don't notice what I'm talking about then just drive around for a while and feel when your truck switches gears and when you notice a slight drop in power and kind of a sluggish feel. That's when you're now using a 4cyl engine. :) There's an easy way to cancel the cylinder deactivation while driving so you have full 8cyl power all the time. Ever notice when you gave the 1500 throttle while cruising along it seemed to have a massive power jump? That's because it not only dropped down a couple gears, but also switched all 8 cylinders back on.

I've got a 2018 1500 laramie and was going to upgrade to a 2500 because it wouldn't be as noticeable with the 6 speed. But in 2021 they gave all the gas engines the same basic 8 speed transmissions as the 1500 models (including the 2500 and 3500). I was just curious if they reprogrammed them to be more aggressive and not deactivate the cylinders as quickly.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The gas engines have cylinder deactivation so if you aren't giving it much throttle the computer quickly deactivates half the cylinders. All of the 1500's have had this for quite a while. It feels even worse with the 8 speed transmission because you're in 7th gear around 38mph, then it kills off 4 cylinders and you don't have instant power. When you give it more throttle, it jumps back into 8 cylinder mode. I've driven commercial vehicles or manuals for the past 25 years so it was very noticeable to me.

If you don't notice what I'm talking about then just drive around for a while and feel when your truck switches gears and when you notice a slight drop in power and kind of a sluggish feel. That's when you're now using a 4cyl engine. :) There's an easy way to cancel the cylinder deactivation while driving so you have full 8cyl power all the time. Ever notice when you gave the 1500 throttle while cruising along it seemed to have a massive power jump? That's because it not only dropped down a couple gears, but also switched all 8 cylinders back on.

I've got a 2018 1500 laramie and was going to upgrade to a 2500 because it wouldn't be as noticeable with the 6 speed. But in 2021 they gave all the gas engines the same basic 8 speed transmissions as the 1500 models (including the 2500 and 3500). I was just curious if they reprogrammed them to be more aggressive and not deactivate the cylinders as quickly.

Yeah I did notice that in my 1500 actually. How do I deactivate it in my 2500?

And why do they do this? What’s the selling point?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

And why do they do this? What’s the selling point?

I'm guessing it improves mileage somewhat, so they're able to list it in "green" categories they otherwise could not.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Fuel savings is the only reason.

Once you start deactivating the cylinder cutoff you'll probably do it every time you drive which starts to piss you off that they designed it like that. Most gas Chevy's are the same way except oddly enough the new 2500 and 3500 6.0L.

Anyway, on the right side of your steering wheel you have the gear limit buttons. Pushing those buttons to set any gear will deactivate the cylinder cutoff. You push the down arrow to lock in whatever gear you're currently in, then use the up arrow to set it on the max gear you want the truck to go in. The gear number will show up on your dash. So if you set it to gear 7, it won't go into 8th gear and won't deactivate cylinders. At first just set it on 8 which keeps the engine from cutting off half the cylinders, but still uses all 8 gears.

I used to set it before I even pulled out of my driveway but you have to hit the down button once, then the up button 7 times which gets old. So now I just pull out on the road and wait until I get up around 40mph which is likely 7th gear, hit the down button once and I'm good to go at 7 for around town driving. It becomes second nature after a few days.

To cancel the mode, just click the up button once over 8 and it's back to normal. If I'm going on the highway for 20+ miles then I might let it deactivate cylinders to save on gas, but not if I'm pulling anything.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Oh. Gotcha. Yeah it’s not going to bother me that much and most of my driving is 2 - 5 hours. And honestly I’d rather have the gas mileage at $3.20 a gallon.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My Z71 has cylinder deactivation for 4 cylinders. It comes on according to the readout when you stop. If you are moving as you normally would it never activates above 60mph. So for me it rarely comes on. I never notice on the readout other than when I'm coasting down or to a stop. The newer ones may act differently. Basically if you are moving at traffic speed it doesn't come on, or are speeding up it doesn't come on. Comes on if you are putzing around. You can also switch to towmode and it never comes on. If you did a lot of in town start and stop and speeds <50 it probably stays on a lot.

Just mileage is all which I never ever really care. Just the price of going somewhere or work. When new I got 20mph highway at 70-75 all the time. Then I leveled it with a 2" lift in the front. The lower the front end of trucks now to keep the air from getting under it. Then I installed 33" tall mudtires tires now they that fit with the lift. Hovers around 17.5 to 18mg now which is very acceptable for me for a 4wd. My F250 diesel gets 19-10mpg and old enough I don't have to add anything, straight diesel.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

tow/haul should disable mds on 5th gens, but if you're not under weight it may take some getting use to, some people love it some people hate it

gear feature on your wheel and set it to 8 disables it

tuner, although not sure if they're available and warrenty issues