Should I buy a Wii U? Looking for pros and cons.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just got some unexpected money as a gift post Christmas, and I am considering getting the NSMBU deluxe Wii U. I have an Xbone and PS4, a Vita and beefy PC. My concern with getting the Wii U is that the only games going foreward will be made by Nintendo, and that's it. I am interested in the console for the same reason. All those Nintendo made games. Should I spend my money elsewhere (had a 3DS and sold it), or take the plunge?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The only game on it that is fun (IMHO) is ZombiU and that gets old quick. So, nope.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Do you have time to play it in addition to your other consoles? If so I'd say it's worth it, the titles you mentioned are very good, plus Monster Hunter and others coming out.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
I am in a similar situation as you and also having this debate with myself.
The system is only good for playing nintendo made games and third party support isn't likely to change. That being said there is a small list of things that seem very much worth playing that you can't get elsewhere Mario 3d world, New Super Mario, Wind Waker HD, Pikman 3, ZombiU, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Then there is what is so far announced by Nintendo for next year. New Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and Smash Brothers as well as Bayonetta 2. Don't forget that Mario 3d world was basically announced at e3 this year so what we see upcoming isn't everything we will get this year. Last but not least there is "X" by monolithsoft which may by itself be a reason to own the console if you are a JRPG fan.

spronk

FPS noob
with all the gaming systems you have definitely not, you know it will just sit there unused in 3 months and reminding you of a bad impulse buy until WiiU-X2 or whatever the fuck stupid name they come up next is announced

yeah it kinda sucks not playing the few games that are only on WiiU but lets face it most of us have dozens of unplayed 10/10 games so whats a few more you will never get around to

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Depends on if you have a Wii already. If not, then it might be worth it. Wii-U does backwards compatibility, so you can play all the games from the Wii as well.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
I get that I might have buyers remorse - hell I already have it with my Xbone. Im just not sure if the Wii U will be a decent investment for exclusive games.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I bought one 3 weeks ago and really like it. I did not pull the trigger on the ps4 or xbone as they dont have any games a REALLY want to play that i cant play on ps3 or Wii u. So far the Wii is really fun and i am just playing the new 2d mario and monster hunter. I really like that i can play it on the controller screen when the wife is watching tv.

Are you done with the other 2 new new boxes? seems like it would be hard to find the time to play all 3. So far i like my Wii

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The con is that the system sales areterrible. Nintendo will be lucky to turn this into a Gamecube-level also ran. In the short term, it means that Nintendo will have to cut the price again (though with the level of hardware you have, I doubt you care); in the long term, it means that there will be a total of three more games or so that aren't funded or flat out made by Nintendo. The real danger is that Nintendo just writes the system off in a year or so and throws all future development towards the 4DS.

The pro is that 3D World is pretty great, Zombi U is pretty good if you like that genre, and Super Mario U, Kart, etc. all seem like they are/will be solid entries, if a bit formulaic. There's slim pickings on the next-gen front after Infamous for a while.

What my advice would be, since you didn't mention it, is to look at the 3DS. The system has a pretty solid library now, even if the graphics area step down or three from the next-gen systems.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I would love to see 3ds support for the Wii U. Granted not all games would translate well, although it would be possible with the gamepad.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo won't give up support on the Wii U, that said the only reason to buy it is if you like Nintendo franchises and their 2nd party franchises (Monolithsoft, Platinum Games, Retro, etc).

I use my Wii U a ton for the internet browser - only console whose browser can play Twitch.tv streams and I watch them a ton on my TV full screen with it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'll throw in support also for the 3DS. Not only are some of the newer games coming out good, but you can play all the older DS titles on it. There is a lot of variety out for the DS, even some RPGs. They're pretty cheap, too.

Plus, they came out recently with the new 3DS XL, which has a nice-sized screen.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
There are the obvious big titles like Mario and plenty to come, Wonderful 101 is more niche but pretty fun, and Monster Hunter has 100+ hours easily to put into it. I didn't know you could watch Twitch.tv, gonna have to start doing that sometimes.

I bought mine and got around 200+ hours on it by myself and I am very excited for the new Super Smash and other well known Nintendo games.

You could like it or not, but there are plenty of hours of fun to be had just like PS3, PS4, Xbone, or 3DS.

The Muze_sl

shitlord
o Nintendo knows how to work with their hardware. On paper it's not a beast, but the games look absolutely amazing and they are only going to get better.
o Wii U gamepad is rad. Off screen is awesome. Pro controller is one of the best console controllers out.
o Backwards compatilibity.
o Take a look at your 360 or PS3 collection. A lot of talk about non 3rd party and lack of games, but by the end of it's life you are going to have a huge stack of quality games to play. Even if you only buy exclusives.

x Nintendo always leaves you wanting just a little bit more. They are so close with their online component for example. Miiverse is awesome. They have video chat with friends, but no party system or global voice chat yet.
x Playing it safe. They have more IPs than anyone, but rarely take huge risks with them. No Pokemon MMO or Star Fox sandbox space sim in our future
frown.png

x Hardware ceiling.

I love my Wii U. I probably wouldn't love it so much if I wasn't a PC gamer as well. But as far as consoles go, I'm not happy with the prospects of Xbone and PS4; I hate AAA titles. A Wii U, 3DS + a good gaming PC is all I need.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I got my kids a wiiU for the holidays, we've been playing Mario/LuigiU which came with it, i got them Zelda HD wind walker (which i never played and am now enjoying), Pikman, Mario 3d world, and rayman legends.
I have to honestly say i'm really enjoying this system, we are not doing much on wiiVerse (i'm honestly not to keen on the way Nintendo implemented this random online chatterbox) but besides that, it feels like a solid system with more to come. I have to agree that the wiiU gamepad which i thought i would hate is not bad or intrusive to looking up and down etc like i thought it would be. And if i want to play my PS4, my kids just use the gamepad to play "off screen."
I surprisingly have no regrets.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I shipped a PS4 from America to here in Korea and it works really well because I can just buy/download games through the marketplace. I've got a 3DS as well and that marketplace hasn't had any problems. Does the Wii U have similar capabilities?

Also, what kinda coop is the Wii U sporting? I saw mention of Mario Kart and I can't help but have flashbacks to awesome deathmatches on the N64.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I was surprised at how much my family and I enjoy the system. I really bought it forward thinking of games such as Smash Bros., Mario Kart, new Zelda, etc. I had the extra money at the time, I had just sold my 360 and I had played the new Mario at a Gamestop so I bought it. I also have a PS4 and to be honest, we play the WiiU much more. (Consider that we have more games for the WiiU and the games we are looking forward on PS4 is not out yet). Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with the system especially with the games they have on the horizon.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I've had a PS4 since launch, i havent played it beyond using it for netflix after a day or so of playing BF4.
I've had a Wii U since the 27th of december. I've put more time in gaming alone on the couple hours i've put into Super Mario 3D World.

Plus I plan on diving into Windwaker HD soon lol

Its worth it if you take into consideration that the PS4 and Xbox One have almost literally, no good games, and won't for a couple months still heh. The Wii U at least has a year of mediocre titles with a couple good ones already.