Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Really touristy places frequented by a lot of Americans and Canadians had tip jars when I was in NZ, but it wasn't expected at all that I saw.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I always tip if it's customary. I've had shitty jobs in the past(for tips) so I know first hand how important they are. :/ It's 100% dependent on service and not the quality of food, etc.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
15% base for servers - usually tip 20% unless they are dogshit. For some reason I always feel like people try adding another 5-10% base on tips every couple of years.
$1 a drink for bartenders
tip jars = go fuck yourself. Sorry subway man or starbucks you don't deserve a dollar for pouring a cup of coffee.
delivery people - $3-5 normally
Take out to go people also get no tips unless they are bagging shit up tossing in a little extra and bringing it out to the car then a couple bucks I guess.

Desmas_sl

shitlord
Restaurants 10-20%
15% is where I start off at.
Server making mistakes or over exaggerating asking if there is anything else that I need every 5 minutes? You just dropped to 10%.
Server is attentive whenever needed and makes no mistake, maybe 20%. I judge servers on appearance and how they speak. Obviously, I don't expect some phd eloquent articulate chatter out of them, but I am also not looking to converse with the help. If I see tattoos and shitty piercings, and service was great? Fuck you. 10% bitch.

Delivery $5-10
Depends on the delivery person. All guys 5. Chicks might get the 10 if they look clean.

Jars? Fuck that.

Haircut 10
I have to go where my wife gets her hair done. It's the only place I trust. Plus, we get a discount so. Yeah.

There are many other places we tip. At the car wash. VIP cinemas.

Strip clubs
I don't partake in any backroom service. But, lately the couple of strip clubs I've been to in my travels, I'll drop a fat stack of 1s and 5s. An occasional 20s in the mix if I feel I want to get some baby bump and grind action and arrive home warmed up.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
God I love living in Scandinavia and not having to worry about this shit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you're worrying about tips, and how much or whatever, you have problems. I go out to eat and as long as the server is not an asshole or ignores me, then I drop 20% on the check and call it day. I don't spend the mental capacity to determine that on a $50 check if I should leave 7 or 10$. Those three extra dollars mean nothing to me.

If you are finding yourself with a tally sheet in your brain about how you tip someone, you're doing life wrong.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You sir, are what we call an asshole.
^This is entirely true.

I wish everyone could work in the food service industry for six weeks as a waiter. All you folks being negative about having to tip - You'd all change your tune in a fat fucking hurry. Tipping is a fact of life in North America. Don't like it? Don't go out to eat. Tip poorly? You're an asshole. It is just that simple.

If your server is a genuine dick, then don't just tip poorly, go to the kitchen, drop the tip there, and tell them your server was a douchecanoe. But if you go into a situation with the mindset of "everything this server does wrong is going to reduce his/her tip," then you're just going to find things that piss you off. Because you're an asshole.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So Seattle just passed the $15 an hour minimum wage increase. Although the increase is phased in over several years, they are already starting to see a "Living Wage Surcharge" added to checks, typically in the 15-20% range. This is an option many restaurants are opting for rather than outright raising prices. Many servers are not happy because they were already pulling in more than $15 an hour with tips at the current minimum wage and think that if people see that surcharge on their bill they won't tip anymore, effectively resulting in a pay cut for wait staff.

If your bill had an automatic 15% "Living Wage" surcharge on it and you knew the minimum wage was $15 an hour would you continue to tip?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
See, that's not an entirely fair argument. Wait staff aren't paid minimum wage, they're paid substantially less. They depend on tips. If they were paid the 15$ per hour, how I tip would be affected.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
See, that's not an entirely fair argument. Wait staff aren't paid minimum wage, they're paid substantially less. They depend on tips. If they were paid the 15$ per hour, how I tip would be affected.
Not in WA. Can't pay below minimum wage and compensate with tip income. So they already make $9.32 an hour + tips currently. Soon to be $15 and hour + tips if they still get them.

rrr_img_68882.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
$9.32 an hour converts to $19,386 a year. Try living in Washington on $19,386 a year.

$15 an hour converts to $31,200 a year. Much more reasonable. Tipping will change if that becomes the case.

In general, people in the food industry get tips. It's just that simple. If you're not okay with that, don't go out to eat. If you have a $100 bill, and can't pony up the extra $15 or $20, that seems idiotic.

spronk

FPS noob
i will fly my private jet to washington every night to eat dinner so i can avoid tipping at my local place

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, if I knew they were making $10-$15 per hour I'd be pretty tempted to skip the tips. I also wouldn't expect much though, aside from a nicer establishment. I'm a pretty good tipper, even very average servers get 20% + from me, but I'm so used to the sub minimum wage paradigm for wait staff.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
20% by default. Less if the service is incredibly bad. I would never leave nothing unless I was spat on or something. I've done as much as 50% if they were amazing.

And, if you're a waiter then here are a few tips (hurr hurr):

* Don't try and impress me with your memory. When you take my order write that shit down -- EVEN IF you have an eidetic memory. If you don't, I'll be sitting there wringing my hands worrying my food will be fucked up.

* Don't ask me if I want a refill. If I'm clearly not done with my meal and you see an empty glass, fill it pronto. Keep them coming. Bring a god damn pitcher to the table if you must.

* Drop the check off when you bring the food OR shortly afterwards. I fucking HATE being forced to wait after I'm done. If I want dessert then just revise the ticket.

I probably have more but those are my three major pet peeves.