Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
See, that's not an entirely fair argument. Wait staff aren't paid minimum wage, they're paid substantially less. They depend on tips. If they were paid the 15$ per hour, how I tip would be affected.
I would still tip the same, but I wouldn't go back to a restaurant whose manager is some swarmy fuck that puts in "15-20% living wage surcharge" on my bill. If you have to increase prices because of additional operations cost, so be it.

Jovec

?
While I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, it's worth noting that in most places the wait staff doesn't keep the entire tip. At my friend's place they are required to tip-out 3.75% of their total sales for the evening, which then goes back to the hosts, kitchen, and bus staff. The waiter could conceivably lose money to wait on your table if he isn't tipped (enough). They used to use an honor system (20% of their tips) but the wait staff was abusing it by under-reporting.

The tip system doesn't bother me, nor would a tipless, higher wage, higher cost system. Regardless, I'll still factor the total cost when deciding to eat out, take-out, or cook.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If I see tattoos and shitty piercings, and service was great? Fuck you. 10% bitch.
Do you mean you tip less if they have bad ink? Or any ink? I can imagine tipping less for bad ink, someone has to teach them a lesson about bad and hard to reverse life choices.

I have notice the new automated kiosks at some places like Chili's that autocalc a 20% tip when you pay. I wonder if that's increased or decreased the average tip people are getting there.....

The big debate in my circles is still if you tip Sonic car hops or not.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Seattle just passed the $15 an hour minimum wage increase. Although the increase is phased in over several years, they are already starting to see a "Living Wage Surcharge" added to checks, typically in the 15-20% range. This is an option many restaurants are opting for rather than outright raising prices. Many servers are not happy because they were already pulling in more than $15 an hour with tips at the current minimum wage and think that if people see that surcharge on their bill they won't tip anymore, effectively resulting in a pay cut for wait staff.

If your bill had an automatic 15% "Living Wage" surcharge on it and you knew the minimum wage was $15 an hour would you continue to tip?
Some people will still tip generously and $15 an hour sounds like a very decent wage for someone working a job with no real training required. The whole adding of a "Laws made my business more expensive to run" line on the check is however pants on head retarded. What's next, a 5% charge for "having to keep my kitchen clean and rat free"?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
$9.32 an hour converts to $19,386 a year. Try living in Washington on $19,386 a year.
Do you tip dudes at Home Depot that help you bring heavy shit to your car? Or people that mix your paint? Because they're probably also making that minimum wage.

I'm not sure how I feel about WA's massive increase in minimum wage. It's just a price spiral. If I was an intern or junior position in college making $20/hour I'd be pissed.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tipping is fucking stupid and youre all fucking morons for thinking it should be done. You shouldnt get a fucking tip for doing your god damn job.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure how I feel about WA's massive increase in minimum wage. It's just a price spiral. If I was an intern or junior position in college making $20/hour I'd be pissed.
That's what opponents of minimum wage always claimed and it never turned out to be true. What did turn out to be true is that people can't live on $2 an hour anywhere in the western world.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea the real danger, as has been stated before, is that everyone making just about what people doing menial and lazy jobs will be are going to get pissed. How are you going to require a bachelor's degree for a position which is now at the minimum wage? That's the problem with the whole concept of a 'livable wage' for what amounts to high school jobs, there's no drive to do anything greater. Don't get me wrong, some people will want to stay in food service or work at a Home Depot for their entire life and good for them. But why bother trying for a promotion or advancement? There are truly very few people who are driven by their own sense of accomplishment. I've hired dozens and dozens of people who all have the same spiel about advancing themselves and being a force for change, etc. etc. At the end of the day, most just want to be content and it shows in their work. They give up after that until something in life (or the job) causes them to be a malcontent again. It's difficult to motivate some of these people, once they are comfortable they feed off of doing as little as possible because it adds to their comfort. I have a bunch of people who work for me for base + commission and it's amazing how many will just slow down at day 15 in the month when they reach their income goal for the month but could go from 1K to 2-3K for the month if they kept at it and rode out the good luck they've had. Then they complain when a deal they thought was good goes south later in the month and they lose commission.

That's what opponents of minimum wage always claimed and it never turned out to be true. What did turn out to be true is that people can't live on $2 an hour anywhere in the western world.
The dirty little secret is that's because it's never BEEN livable after the increases. $15/hr is much more comfortable. Working a minimum wage job next to unskilled teenagers SHOULD be uncomfortable and difficult. People should be doing other things.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The dirty little secret is that's because it's never BEEN livable after the increases. $15/hr is much more comfortable. Working a minimum wage job next to unskilled teenagers SHOULD be uncomfortable and difficult. People should be doing other things.
This would be true if there was enough demand for skilled labor in our countries. Since we offshored so much to Asia, that is no longer the case.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This would be true if there was enough demand for skilled labor in our countries. Since we offshored so much to Asia, that is no longer the case.
Yea but that's a self-fulfilling prophecy to an extent as well. If there isn't enough supply of labor, prices skyrocket for good candidates so they go to cheaper countries. I'm not going to say everything is perfect, but when people get comfortable doing jobs that collectively do not contribute as much to society as they require for said comfort, it's a recipe for disaster.

splok_sl

shitlord
God I love living in Scandinavia and not having to worry about this shit.
Living in Scandinavia makes me happy to tip when I visit the US. The service at restaurants here (at least in Norway) is beyond horrible compared to service in the US.

Not to mention $50 for a shitty pizza + $8 for non-refillable cokes... but ya, fuck tips, lets pay waiters $20/hr no matter how bad they are.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dont waitresses make like $3.25 or some shit and therefore rely on tips to actually make the money and fill out their salary? I know its like that here in Mich. But yeah, if the waitresses make the same amount that the other staff make, it makes no sense to pay them a "tip" for doing their job.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I live in Scandinavia too (though not in Norway). I almost never get bad service, and I prefer paying more knowing that the waiter/waitress is actually earning a liveable salary than knowing they are essentially hoping for the goodwill of the guests. I went to the US for the first time in 2012 and it felt really fekking strange having constantly super cheery and over friendly restaurant staff check up on me every 5 minutes to make sure everything was tip top. What I look for in restaurant staff is the following:

1. Be professional, not super friendly. We're not BFFs!
2. Don't pester me constantly, if I need you I'll call for you.

The only time I've ever had bad service is at Subways, but you don't tip at those places in the US do you? God, I really feel for restaurant staff in the US, as you don't just have to do your job well, you have to fucking pander and fawn and have that soulless always happy smile on your face all day every day or else there goes your tip. Fuck me!

splok_sl

shitlord
I live in Scandinavia too (though not in Norway). I almost never get bad service, and I prefer paying more knowing that the waiter/waitress is actually earning a liveable salary than knowing they are essentially hoping for the goodwill of the guests. I went to the US for the first time in 2012 and it felt really fekking strange having constantly super cheery and over friendly restaurant staff check up on me every 5 minutes to make sure everything was tip top. What I look for in restaurant staff is the following:

The only time I've ever had bad service is at Subways, but you don't tip at those places in the US do you? God, I really feel for restaurant staff in the US, as you don't just have to do your job well, you have to fucking pander and fawn and have that soulless always happy smile on your face all day every day or else there goes your tip. Fuck me!
No, there's no tipping at Subway. And I guess maybe we just have different expectations, or maybe it's just worse here. Either way, the difference between a really bad server and a really good one can make a big difference in how enjoyable your dinner is, and with tipping, servers are basically paid for their performance. The bad ones will make shit and quit, and the good ones will get better. This is sort of unique for entry level jobs. I was a waiter in college, and believe me, it definitely beats the hell out of any other minimum wage paying gig out there unless you're a complete anti-social troll. You don't have to be crazy-bubbly-overthetop with it (I think the ones that do that are way overcompensating and are probably losing money in the process). So long as you're friendly, don't fuck orders up, and keep drinks topped off, you make pretty good money for what it is.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

Servers that do 1 and 2 are bad servers. If they annoy you that much, tip them less. Shrug.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If your server is a genuine dick, then don't just tip poorly, go to the kitchen, drop the tip there, and tell them your server was a douchecanoe. But if you go into a situation with the mindset of "everything this server does wrong is going to reduce his/her tip," then you're just going to find things that piss you off. Because you're an asshole.
Has anyone ever done this, ever? Come on. The server is the customer relations branch of the restaurant industry, they are the face, if they fuck up everyone suffers, that's just how it is. Same for every other industry. Going down a checklist and docking the tip for every little thing is a total dick move, of course. But so is expecting a tip even in the face of shitty service. I can only twice when I didn't tip anything, once when my wife found some hair in her food and the waiter tried to make us pay for everything (at that restaurant in the Kennedy Center) and another time when we waited 45 minutes while the server just basically abandoned us, that shit was stupid.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Someone mind to explain why a $30 meal should bring twice as much tip as a $15 meal when in both cases the waiter brought to me a single plate of food and a drink?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Someone mind to explain why a $30 meal should bring twice as much tip as a $15 meal when in both cases the waiter brought to me a single plate of food and a drink?
Because % tipping is stupid. There is no reason other than that's the custom. Actually that brings up a good question for everyone out there, do you tip on liquor? Lets say you are out at a restaurant and order a $100 bottle of wine does the server really need another $20 for opening it? Shit the drinks themselves usually have a massive markup anyways.

I have to admit I do miss tipping in Europe where you left 1-2 euro and it truly was a "tip" and not part of servers wages.

Repins_sl

shitlord
The mindset is that if you're buying the exact same amount but one is a 30 dollar meal and one is a 15 dollar meal that not only will each waiter or waitress have less tables, ie. if you go to a Chili's your waiter may be doing 5+ other tables where as at someplace nicer than that, Ruth's Chris is a bad example because it's significantly nicer and more expensive but I've never had a waiter there that was waiting on more than three other tables plus mine. Thus to ensure that the better wait staff are the ones who occupy the nicer places even while doing less tables, the general consensus is to tip on the bill amount rather than the amount of food to make up for that. Otherwise you'd have all of the best waiters and waitresses trying to get whatever restaurant will give them the most tables at a time.