Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The title of this thread is misleading/pandering.
I changed the title of the thread and I completely agree that Kickstarter is awesome in many instances. I've contributed to Oru Kayak, Death Machine Boardgame and the new Torment game by the crew who did Planescape. The rename of the thread is tongue-in-cheek and more a poke at Lord Dick Garriot than a knock against Kickstarter. Pandering? Eh...if anything I've been one of the more fervent defenders of Kickstarter in the thread.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Neogaf is having a "kickstarter" is the devil thread that might be a relevant read for some.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528903

Its starting to seem getting around the "no fund my life","no charity", or other personal gains are being circumvented by creating low target kickstarters, which get massively overfunded, by abusing good will.
I've been following the Neogaf thread on this and the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper. It's starting to look like this is more than just a simple crowdfunding scam and there's some "catfishing" involved:

http://theaibots.com/earlier-wilson-...starter-doubt/

Regardless of how all this ends up, I have to say it's been pretty damn entertaining so far.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Susan Wilson thread over at the gaf is fucking great. This thing is turning into a real entertaining treat.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
My girlfriend stumbled across this today:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...eturn?ref=live

Now, this isn't as egregiousness as some projects since the top open contributions are essentially the cost of the game. But why on earth is a very successful company using kickstarter to fund the sequel to one of their most successful franchises? That is like, I don't know, Rockstar holding a kickstarter to make GTA5 or something. They are using Kickstarter as a cheap pre-order campaign, that is not what it is supposed to be for.

It is a shame when an otherwise excellent idea if being abused to the detriment of people that have no other recourse for funding projects.

Caliane

Now, this isn't as egregiousness as some projects since the top open contributions are essentially the cost of the game. But why on earth is a very successful company using kickstarter to fund the sequel to one of their most successful franchises? That is like, I don't know, Rockstar holding a kickstarter to make GTA5 or something. They are using Kickstarter as a cheap pre-order campaign, that is not what it is supposed to be for.

It is a shame when an otherwise excellent idea if being abused to the detriment of people that have no other recourse for funding projects.
There ARE some valid reasons for a company to do it. For the devs its obviously win-win. They get the consumers to pay for the thing before they even start. no risk at all. Then keep any profits.. Its no surprise that devs are ditching producers for this. And is that really a bad thing? In a digital marketplace we don't really need producers fighting for shelf space, and advertising. So all they are really doing is fronting dev costs.

In theory, it should be a litmus test for interest. Lets say you are Valve. you start a kickstarter for half-life3, and a kickstarter for new Ip. Then this allows us to vote with our money for which we would rather have.
The AAA market is probably crashing. Look at the Square-enix fiasco. Hugely successful games and they are going broke, because 2-3million units sold is not enough for profit. or Amular. Or THQ, etc. but publishers are still forcing these AAA games. Crowdfunding does allow again, skipping publishers and making games that they wouldn't deem worth making.
This however, is not quite working out perfectly.

The problem is fame is easily leveraged on kickstarter. Games are not funded on merit, they are funded on how famous the starter is. Or how good of a huckster they are.

But in general, publisher influence has created far too many bad things in gaming. Devs finding a way around them, I don't have a problem with.

I feel Kickstarter needs a hell of alot more vetting, and accountability. If its going to be "buyer beware", then each starter should be required to provide extensive background material for investors to do some research. And then if this background material is falsified, charges of fraud can be applied, for real legal recourse.
But really kickstarter itself should be doing the background work, and certifying starters.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It should be obvious to anyone with any business acumen whatsoever why even successful companies use kickstarter. The money from the kickstarter investors has almost no strings attached. It is basically free money. Only a fool would turn that away.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't think anyone is saying that the idea of kickstarter is bad, but if it's going to be abused to this level then people aren't going to trust anyone and will stop donating.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone is saying that the idea of kickstarter is bad, but if it's going to be abused to this level then people aren't going to trust anyone and will stop donating.
There's no shortage of fools willing to give their money away, and even if that did come to pass: the people abusing it will lose nothing, they'll just move onto the next thing to exploit.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
All I know is if I can get a game I will enjoy on release day for 5, 10, or 15 dollars cheaper than I feel good. Sure I could wait for a Steam sale, but these cheaper 20-30 dollar games are keeping me from buying day 1 purchases of 60 dollar games.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There's no shortage of fools willing to give their money away, and even if that did come to pass: the people abusing it will lose nothing, they'll just move onto the next thing to exploit.
It wouldn't go away completely, but if it got a reputation as being filled with scammers, there would be a definite decline in people willing to donate. Obviously the scammers don't care, it's the legit kickstarts and the consumers that lose

Gecko_sl

shitlord
All I know is if I can get a game I will enjoy on release day for 5, 10, or 15 dollars cheaper than I feel good. Sure I could wait for a Steam sale, but these cheaper 20-30 dollar games are keeping me from buying day 1 purchases of 60 dollar games.
Does not compute.
confused.png
Preordering a game via Kickstarter that *may* be released in 2, 3, or 5 years in no way is a deal or savings. I might be missing your meaning here, though.

I believe the idea of Kickstarter is bad. I particularly loathe very wealthy people peddling for cash from young gamers. Again, just my opinion but it seems akin to pyramid schemes and Amway. It's great for the people getting the cash, but there is little benefit for the average person.

confused.png

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Does not compute.
confused.png
Preordering a game via Kickstarter that *may* be released in 2, 3, or 5 years in no way is a deal or savings. I might be missing your meaning here, though.

I believe the idea of Kickstarter is bad. I particularly loathe very wealthy people peddling for cash from young gamers. Again, just my opinion but it seems akin to pyramid schemes and Amway. It's great for the people getting the cash, but there is little benefit for the average person.
And when the date comes for the game to be released and the 20th Bioshock is also being released the same week for 40+ dollars more than my KS game, I will enjoy keeping that money in my pocket until the eventual 60%+ off sale on Steam in which then I use that money to buy that Bioshock game.

Edit: And it seems after the KS is done for a game, the games cost more or you don't get the same deal for the same price, so why not get more on KS?

confused.png

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
And when the date comes for the game to be released and the 20th Bioshock is also being released the same week for 40+ dollars more than my KS game, I will enjoy keeping that money in my pocket until the eventual 60%+ off sale on Steam in which then I use that money to buy that Bioshock game.

Edit: And it seems after the KS is done for a game, the games cost more or you don't get the same deal for the same price, so why not get more on KS?
First, there isn't even any guarantee that your KS game will be completed. Curiously enough you may have more legal recourse if it isn't completed, than if it is completed and is horrible. If you KS a game and it is terrible, you're just going to have to be happy with it. Especially if people cannot argue an implied warranty of merchantability due to the position (Kickstarter's and the Projects themselves) that you aren't BUYING a game, that you are DONATING or PLEDGING. Given how difficult it would be to recoup your monies from a PURCHASED game, think you stand a chance with Kickstarter? And with the way that Kickstarter is structured, Kickstarter itself will not get involved (they have stated many times that they simply match pledges with projects, and that it is up to the people who pledge to pursue recourse) so it comes down to you and the project. Oh, and most of these people incorporate, so GL.

Just a few of the possibilities:

• Project takes KS funds, but cannot get further funding and folds. Pledgers get no promised products or perks, Project members close shop and move elsewhere w/o having to provide recompense.
  • Project produces an inadequate or mediocre product but pledges have no recourse as they donated before project even started. Have fun with your fantasy version of "Elf Bowling".
  • Project receives more funding than expected, and is legally able to walk away with most/all of of the excess. Garriot buys a new castle, while pledgers are handed a game that looks like Eye of the Beholder. But with weather!

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does not compute.
confused.png

Kickstarter is a great idea and it offers consumers options in the marketplace that would never see the light of day otherwise. But it is also a great platform for scammers. So it is up to the individual to understand the possible risks involved when they invest, which is true in any investment.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. If you run around asking for perfect security then you are asking to be a slave.

confused.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
Personally I'm a big fan of Kickstarter, because it's breathing life into a genre that might as well have been dead - Isometric PC RPGs. They're also the most likely of all the Kickstarter projects to actually be completed and the big ones all have real talent behind them, especially Project Eternity.

Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Project Eternity are all looking and/or sounding great so far and I have faith that they'll actually be completed and be at least decent.

These games wouldn't even exist without Kickstarter, sadly enough. Same goes for Star Citizen, space sims are pretty much dead and it wouldn't exist without Kickstarter either. I don't think it'll end up anywhere near its lofty promises, but as long as its SP campaign is anywhere as remotely close to as good as Free Space 1/2 were I'll be fucking ecstatic.

The rest of Kickstarter is pretty meh, but these games at least will make the whole thing a worthwhile new avenue for game development.

Garriot's shitty action RPG looks like garbage that probably wouldn't even make it as a XBLA game.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Kickstarter is a great idea and it offers consumers options in the marketplace that would never see the light of day otherwise. But it is also a great platform for scammers. So it is up to the individual to understand the possible risks involved when they invest, which is true in any investment. .
How do you determine the scammer from the legit project one should support? The only way one can really determine anything is via name recognition, and in my opinion the guys we know with the big bucks are the least deserving of the lot on KS. It's not a big risk to spend 20 bucks, but it's a waste of money, in my opinion.

When kickstarter starts selling actual stakes in companies with complete transparency regarding their project management, expenditures, and with actual contracts for said paid services then I'll consider them a valid entity instead of a simple method to boondoggle people out of dinero with no real accountability.

Sean_sl

shitlord
How do you determine the scammer from the legit project one should support? The only way one can really determine anything is via name recognition, and in my opinion the guys we know with the big bucks are the least deserving of the lot on KS. It's not a big risk to spend 20 bucks, but it's a waste of money, in my opinion.
Except not everyone with name recognition has big bucks. There's well known people doing the RPGs, but they are not rich people who could fund games. They went to Kickstarter because no Publishers are interested in funding their dev studios to make those kinds of games anymore. Dev studios use publishers because they can't just fund games on their own. Kickstarter is an awesome alternative to that.

Also do you really think studios like Obsidian or inXile are going to "boondoogle" people out of their money? That's ridiculous.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Except not everyone with name recognition has big bucks. There's well known people doing the RPGs, but they are not rich people who could fund games. They went to Kickstarter because no Publishers are interested in funding their dev studios to make those kinds of games anymore. Dev studios use publishers because they can't just fund games on their own. Kickstarter is an awesome alternative to that.

Also do you really think studios like Obsidian or inXile are going to "boondoogle" people out of their money? That's ridiculous.
I didn't say that. My point is for every legitimate game and group how many scammers are on Kickstarter? What percentage of these 'projects' will actually develop into something worthwhile? More importantly, what accountability is there for these entities? The last point being the biggest reason I'm against KS.

I think developers and studios with a track record should be able to get their own funding. I think preordering something two or so years ahead of time is, while not a boondoggle, just bad budgeting and a poor use of ones money. I respect the fact people are passionate about things, but while I am, too, I don't like wasting my money in this manner. It's akin to placing an order for a burger for a restaurant that is trying to be opened in your town in a few years. It's just not a very solid use of funds, and it certainly is not investing, even if you get that burger for 20% cheaper three years from today.

Sean_sl

shitlord
You're completely oblivious to the industry if you think any good studio can just get their own funding for any type of game. It just does not work that way and the people with big money will only fund certain things now no matter how good said studio is.