Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Moved this back into this section so as not to upset the delicate temperament of you MMO-folk.

iannis

Musty Nester
I wonder what the difference is between "solo online" and "solo offline"

It sounds mmoISH. That's a good thing. Something needs to be tweaked and experimented with. The standard MMO model is pumping out nothing but turds.

Even if you didn't play UO (like me), remember that without UO in the market, EQ might have not hit critical mass. A lot of us came directly from muds, but I remember quite a few guildies that came from UO as well.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Would be interesting to try and work up a definition of "MMO" and sticky it. I'm just chalking this up as being in the wrong forum and leave it at.

Blackwulf

N00b
It says default will be open multiplayer and feel much like a traditional MMO. Sounds at least as much MMO as GW1 or that Hellgate game. We called those MMO's didn't we? Or maybe not. Anyway, I love Lord British (fuck you haters!) and Ultima. I remember taking over towns in Ultima 3 - you could kill all the guards and rob the shops and stuff. Was great. Hope this is something truly innovative.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Sounds at least as much MMO as GW1 or that Hellgate game. We called those MMO's didn't we? Or maybe not.
GW1 wasnt considered an MMO, not even by Anet. Their own FAQ even adressed that back then iirc (See GW2 forums for GW1 player tears because the sequel is a different genre). Path of Exile uses the same setup GW1 does so that's an MMO too? But actually both of them are closer to what I think an MMO is because they dont allow you your own servers or offline play like this game or Star Citizen.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Can I collect the heads & torsos of women I murder and store them in my house?

Lord British, I need an answer.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Installed and patching!*&@!&@%
Edit: Never mind, figured it out.
smile.png

rad

Lord of Guk
Even if you didn't play UO (like me), remember that without UO in the market, EQ might have not hit critical mass. A lot of us came directly from muds, but I remember quite a few guildies that came from UO as well.
So much so that FOH was born in UO. CotD from the early days formed into FOH once the rep patch went live and the rest is history. God the memories, what ever became of Merlin after the noows fiasco?

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I joined the pre-alpha weekend and enjoyed the atmosphere of the setting quit a bit. I really liked how NPC's will only interact with you by you having to talk to them. The inventory system does not make much sense but I do like the graphics of the bags and baskets and such.

Mouselook was borked so did not log in much time, but will definately keep an eye on this (yay for the cheap early bird 30 bucks pledge).

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I joined the pre-alpha weekend and enjoyed the atmosphere of the setting quit a bit. I really liked how NPC's will only interact with you by you having to talk to them. The inventory system does not make much sense but I do like the graphics of the bags and baskets and such.

Mouselook was borked so did not log in much time, but will definately keep an eye on this (yay for the cheap early bird 30 bucks pledge).
$45 bucks gets you the game and alpha. Garriott did a very nice job with this game and Kickstarter. I noticed Brad is following RG on Twitter and probably copying some things which is wise. For a Kickstarter, this game has a very good team that I believe can deliver. Garriott also sunk more of his own funds into the game, like Mark Jacobs is doing. Those two Kickstarters are my personal hope for MMOs, since both are going for their own niche based on their strengths.

It's funny but the Pantheon Kickstarter is now fairly close to this one in appearance:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues by Portalarium, Inc. Kickstarter

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of different KS's and games, what ever happened to Project Gorgon and why didn't they use KS? Last I heard they were letting people download their Alpha. How in the world did they get funding to make a game?

Treesong

$45 bucks gets you the game and alpha. Garriott did a very nice job with this game and Kickstarter. I noticed Brad is following RG on Twitter and probably copying some things which is wise. For a Kickstarter, this game has a very good team that I believe can deliver. Garriott also sunk more of his own funds into the game, like Mark Jacobs is doing. Those two Kickstarters are my personal hope for MMOs, since both are going for their own niche based on their strengths.

It's funny but the Pantheon Kickstarter is now fairly close to this one in appearance:

Yes, I would definately advice people who can not wait to get a taste of the old school to do the 45 dollar pledge for this game. The fact that SotA also does have a singleplayer online and off line mode does not bother me at all. I do think the playerhousing-pledges are a bit pricy so not buying into that for now.

Treesong

Speaking of different KS's and games, what ever happened to Project Gorgon and why didn't they use KS? Last I heard they were letting people download their Alpha. How in the world did they get funding to make a game?
Project Gorgon is still alive and worked on by Eric: here is the latest update, dating today!January 30 Update | Project: Gorgon

You can play the alpha. He did a Kickstarter but it did not reach its goal. Even though Project Gorgon *did* have something to show during the KS and even a playable pre-alpha, I think it was too barebone and clunky to get much interest. I guess showing a too-early alpha build does not help a KS either. His KS was also very simplistic and obviously a one man's job. I did get a better vibe from the man himself then Brad though, when he presented his game. Cheapskate that I am , I actually pledged 10 dollars for Project Gorgon.
wink.png

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yes, I would definately advice people who can not wait to get a taste of the old school to do the 45 dollar pledge for this game. The fact that SotA also does have a singleplayer online and off line mode does not bother me at all. I do think the playerhousing-pledges are a bit pricy so not buying into that for now.
The price tiers segregate good value and people who want a game, versus power people with tons of extra cash <Hi, Siuneg> with serious rewards.

I like the online and offline mode. The game design is a true successor for UO. I was more of an AD&Der growing up, but UO was amazing for the time I played it, and Ultima Underworld still to this day remains one of my favorite games so I have high hopes for this.

More importantly, they have timelines, deliverables, and are already doing early testing all in a transparent fashion. The game might suck, but it's tough to argue throwing 45 bucks to a game one can play this year with tons of features, versus throwing it at a game without even a design document or any art or tech assets.

jtripper_sl

shitlord

Yep, noticed that Brad is retweeting SotA announcements. Dare I say something special is coming?
smile.png