Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Most of the memories I have about housing in UO involved griefing, stacking those items(books I think? boxes maybe) that actually had volume to make a stair to walk into the open courtyard of blacksmith houses and looting them since most people didn't lock the inner doors, walking through the stairs of a small house to get through the floor, telling the guild leader of an enemy guild that we wanted to discuss a ceasefire then stealthing and snooping in his bags to steal the key to the house while he was talking to my GM and opening a portal straight to our guild house and emptying their guild house while they were still talking, stealing runes to blocked keeps entrances(could use small houses all around the entrance to create an artificial wall) then camping them there using a bunch of people on the steps to prevent them from being able to shove their way through into their houses before they died, raiding the player run cities during their roleplay events, and so on and so forth.
My experiences are the same as Pyros. Houses were a great idea, but the implementation was so bad with the abnormals it really made the game a pain.

The best housing system is the one from SWG.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Housing provided a sandbox element and a way to create artificial points of interest in the game, but could care less about it as a whole.
That's why it was so great though.

It added drama to the game, which is better than static content. There's a lot of replayability in sandbox elements like housing. We need more artificial PoI's in games, especially in the current state of the genre.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That was the beauty of SWGs housing system. It was all the sandbox with very little of the griefing. I loved the fact there were actual cities with merchants and actual architects. It's a bummer nobody has advanced the genre from SWGs housing system. I'd argue we've gone backwards, even with the Trion Dimensions which are decent.

African

Golden Knight of the Realm
I remember all the greifing in UO surrounding housing, and most added to the games appeal. Stealing runes to blocked keeps, taking advantage of people who didn't lock doors was all part of the game. The flour bags to walk through the floor of small houses as bad, but then again even that was preventable. UO did a lot of things right, and just as much wrong. However, I'd kill for a game that gave me the same excitement that 97-01ish did in UO.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I remember all the greifing in UO surrounding housing, and most added to the games appeal. Stealing runes to blocked keeps, taking advantage of people who didn't lock doors was all part of the game. The flour bags to walk through the floor of small houses as bad, but then again even that was preventable. UO did a lot of things right, and just as much wrong. However, I'd kill for a game that gave me the same excitement that 97-01ish did in UO.
God I miss UO. Stealing shit was so awesome. I've always been disappointed that in all games since thief/rogues are relegated to dagger dps with some cheesy hiding ability.

I played a dexer with stealing and like 30 snooping, and I'd just jack people reagents or bandages or runes until they were unable to cast or heal or recall then beat them to death with a quarter staff.

African

Golden Knight of the Realm
God I miss UO. Stealing shit was so awesome. I've always been disappointed that in all games since thief/rogues are relegated to dagger dps with some cheesy hiding ability.

I played a dexer with stealing and like 30 snooping, and I'd just jack people reagents or bandages or runes until they were unable to cast or heal or recall then beat them to death with a quarter staff.
I had two tank mages during the insta cast days. mage/med/eval/resist/wrestle/tactics/swords & mage/med/eval/resist/wrestle/tactics/archery (eventually got nerfed so couldnt insta hit with heavy xbow).

Also had a theif dexer for greifing in deceit LL room and being generally annoying.

I remember feeling very accomplished when I got my first mage to GM magery only to hit 99.9 the next day because at the start there wern't skill locks.

Young_sl

shitlord
UO was such a fun game because it was new yes, but also because it was such a sandbox. It was an experiment, I remember them thinking all they needed to do was host around 5000 people... ha. They had no idea the game would blow up the way it did and they had no idea that player killing would be so popular. There is a reason that statloss went in after what, 6 months? Think about that.. think how quick they nerfed it. The player base would never have lasted if it was a PK world. And that is the problem with these player run shards, they try to emulate a model that wasn't stable to begin with. The tram/fel split was the beginning of the end for UO, you never ever should split the player base in a penalty based game. To me that was a big FU, but that was after Garriots time if I remember correctly?

I will be very interested to see what LB has in store for us with this game, he definitely took things to the next level the last time. It won't be UO, but it could be a similar experience.

Young_sl

shitlord

Definitely one of the most fun templates I ever played. It was something similar too..

100 Tact
100 Swords
90 Anat
70 heal
100 hide
80 stealth
70 snoop
90 stealing

Just enough healing to cure poison, enough hide/stealth to get away from a fight if needed, and the necessary melee skills to mess people up. Walking around with 10 bandages, a DP katana and maybe a few GH potions. Steal, flag grey, let the guy attack, then steal his root so he cant heal and 3 shot him lol. Used to just gate him in and out of dungeons with an alt.. saved a lot of space. Only time you ever got messed up was if he got a good para off, but usually you could run away, hide, stealth, re set.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
That was the beauty of SWGs housing system. It was all the sandbox with very little of the griefing. I loved the fact there were actual cities with merchants and actual architects. It's a bummer nobody has advanced the genre from SWGs housing system. I'd argue we've gone backwards, even with the Trion Dimensions which are decent.
Love that about SWG
wink.png

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, non-instanced housing can be really awesome. It's hard to get the same kind of attachment to an instanced house.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This is not a MMO, correct? Please confirm as I think I'm going to move this to "Other Games".

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
From their own FAQ:

Will this be an MMO?

Shroud of the Avatar is a new form of multiplayer online role playing game we are calling a Selective Multiplayer Game. This will allow players to choose how they want to play. Play options will include solo offline, solo online, friends only online, or open multiplayer online. For players who play in the default open multiplayer, Shroud of the Avatar will feel very much like a traditional MMO.
I would say, No this isnt an MMO and belongs in other games.

Same for Star Citizen. Both of them are working hard on blurring the lines but ultimately the ability to solo play, make closed multiplayer copies of the entire world or in the case of Star Citizen run and mod your own server for the game with entirely different content are the opposite of what I think an MMO is.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I dunno, the default being open multiplayer, makes it sound like this is the correct forum.

No right/wrong answer. I think this is attracting a lot of UO fans though, which may sway it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Same for Star Citizen. Both of them are working hard on blurring the lines but ultimately the ability to solo play, make closed multiplayer copies of the entire world or in the case of Star Citizen run and mod your own server for the game with entirely different content are the opposite of what I think an MMO is.
I actually thought this was an MMO (since it's in the forum), until someone made a comment about it not being an MMO...

Move it to Other Games imo.