Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are they still using the RNG combat system? been forever since I checked this out.
Yes, though they tweaked it so that you can avoid the random popping up of the skills you slotted, but at the cost of having annoying cooldowns and such.

If you use that system, then your skills start with their cooldowns (some of which are pretty long) when you enter combat. When you are out of combat, your hotbar does not show any combat skills, just harvest skills that you put there. You have to push Z to show the combat hotkeys, who will then first have to come off a cool-down. Same thing when you get aggro from the out of combat state: your hotbar changes to the Combat hotbar that first has to get your skills off their cooldown.

Imagine how annoying that is when some Wolf is already chewing on you, and you have to wait untill you can finally start to unload some skills on the mob yourself. It all feels slow as molasse, you do not feel as if you have any control of the fight, skills hit accordingly to a percentage (that becomes better with skill use) , when your combat bar shows your right/leftclick-to-move suddenly starts auto-shooting arrows instead of moving you around (so you have to switch to wasd movement during combat) and so forth.

I am not even sure if you can change the latter in Options, maybe you can, but the Combat overall is so horrible that I can't even be bothered to go into options.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6daj1l/russian_investors_put_up_cash_and_get_4_of_sota

What a greasy shitshow.

Only Garriott-related project I'd back is one that launches Lord British back into space. One-way.

Pretty much this. I knew a guy who worked at NCSoft that told me he had them move up/launch Tabula Rasa early because of his trip to space even though they knew it needed more time. Then after everything was said and done, he still turned around and sued them for his money back after they shit canned him for it.

Not sure how accurate that is other than I know the source for a long time and he had no reason to lie about it.

spronk

FPS noob
lulz
After re-reading everything in SeedInvest, I'm about ready to file a complaint with the FTC • r/shroudoftheavatar
  • as of May 17th our current cash position is $528k seriously - how can this be? Where are all the millions?!
  • requires approximately $230,000 a month to sustain operations. so with the money raised from the telethon, you have enough money to stay in business for just two more months?
  • The Company is a business that has not generated profits in recent years, has sustained net losses of $3,068,579 and $3,048,110 during the years ended December 31, 2016 and 2015, respectively, and has an accumulated deficit of $18,089,082 and $15,020,503 as of December 31, 2016 and 2015, respectively.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I Kickstarted them for $25 back in 2013. I figured it was only $25 and I loved Ultima II, III and IV and was hoping to relive the glory days with this one. I had zero interest in mutli-player, was only going to play the promised single player campaign. I receive a monthly email from these guys about whatever build they are on at the moment. I have never installed or logged into the game, I'm waiting for the finished product to come out first.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I Kickstarted them for $25 back in 2013. I figured it was only $25 and I loved Ultima II, III and IV and was hoping to relive the glory days with this one. I had zero interest in mutli-player, was only going to play the promised single player campaign. I receive a monthly email from these guys about whatever build they are on at the moment. I have never installed or logged into the game, I'm waiting for the finished product to come out first.

I have an active beta account (didn't pay for it). The interface is fucking archaic, but I guess that's kind of par for the Ultima course. Graphics engine is also already looking dated. Whole shitload of things you can do, though.

Surprised folks still remember Tabula Rasa. Hung out at the house of the lead designer's, and he showed me the intended product. Not what was released. A ton of shit never made it into the launched title. Fuckin' shame they didn't have more resources. After TR crashed and burned, he left for the company that made Rock Band. NCSoft is just a shell of a game company these days.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
To me the thing looks like a development sandbox. Yea there are a ton of things to do....but none of it adds up to what I would consider a "game". It has very little content in what people would expect from on MMO, and it has very little content in what would be a bare minimum single player experience. Ultima Online was release in 1997 for comparisons sake. A game that came out 20 years ago ran and played better and to this day I'd still play a UO emulation server than this embarrassment.

• 1Solidarity

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I got the game a while ago from watching some streamer who over hyped it. To be honest i wish i could refund it now because it is just not that fun.

• 1Picard

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
To me the thing looks like a development sandbox. Yea there are a ton of things to do....but none of it adds up to what I would consider a "game". It has very little content in what people would expect from on MMO, and it has very little content in what would be a bare minimum single player experience. Ultima Online was release in 1997 for comparisons sake. A game that came out 20 years ago ran and played better and to this day I'd still play a UO emulation server than this embarrassment.

A lot like star citizen only not nearly as pretty.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got my final Kickstarter notice that this game is now "live" and they won't be sending out further updates. I kickstarted this because of the single player component. Anybody know if that single player is really live and if so, is it worth playing?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Necro bump! So I started playing this and it's pretty damn fun right now. Is the beginning levels fun and the later levels suck? Just want to know before I put in time in this game. I really like the skill system and it's definitely a call back to UO.