Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The two reasons I'm not all over this are that I'm no fan of Richard Garriott and I'm hesitant to see this in the same light I see Star Citizen because he might just use this to fund a space trip, and the fact that nothing indicates that this is a full-blown MMO with a persistant world. Now the latter I might be wrong by now since it's been a while that I read up on the game, but back then everything pointed at persistant characters/possessions/claims but otherwise mostly clever use of instancing. If this indeed goes back to being an MMO in the way UO and EQ were and EVE is I'd be more interested for sure - but is that the case?

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think it is MMO enough to qualify. When people read it has a Multiplayer mode, next to a Friends Only online mode, Solo online mode and a Solo offline mode, they think that at most this will be some sort of "hub" game. MMO= thousands of player in the same world. However MMO's have been segregating players since UO, in servers, instances and zone-copies. So is it a question of, how many players are in the same, *continous* space? When you go to Everquest, you are either with 100+ people in a tight spot (like any hub-zone where players gather such as the PLane of Knowledge) or you are very likely to be playing with 1- 12 players in an XP-zone, maybe. Still a MMO.

Shroud of the Avatar (multiplayer mode) will have cities and towns, with persistant housing, which will act as hubs with hundreds of players simultaneously. So the house that you put up in let us say in Akalabeth Village will be visable for everyone that is in that village. Now if the town gets overcrowded, a new instance of that town will be created, *with* your house. There will not be different servers. So though the owner (player) of the house may be in Akalabeth instance 1, you may be in instance 2 and thus can not see him: but you do see his house. I think this is still better then putting people on different shards. Your house is persistant through all instances,and your character can hook up with anyone playing SotA. This is more Multiplayer then many MMO's out there.

Now for the continous world: from these towns and cities you will walk up to the edge then go into an Overland Map: there is still some debate how this should look. It was initially stated that this would be a very nice 3d exploratory kind of map, top-down view like in Age of Wonders or the Civ games. Anyway, you roam this Overland Map untill you reach a spot where you can enter a "scene": this can be anything, from a dungeon, to a stretch of Forest to a Hamlet full of bandits. In this scene you return into normal 3D MMO-mode and can then explore this scene.

How will these scenes be populated? I am unsure as of the amount of players that can populate such a scene but I have heard a few dozen at least. The players that are in your scene are also differentiated by toggles you can set ( I think), by your party members, by Guildmembers, PvP or not, or according to language(settings): so basically some sort of "smart-matching". The good thing about scenes is that they can be easily tailored for cool Quests, can show progression and change in Stories, and new scenes can basically be implemented infinitely in the overland map, since there is no continous world in the old sense.

So if you want to walk out of the gate of your town, and want to keep walking without interuption, till the end of the world, encountering players here and there along the way, then this will be different: instead you will hop from Town, to Overland map, to Scene. There are plans to also show at least your groupmembers on the Overland map, but the precise implementation of the Overland Map is still in the air.Mostly it will be a fast travel tool, though many players want it to be more like the maps where you can be drawn into battle if you run into a bear and such.

Anyway, I think because of the persistant housing and the no separate-server thing, this will qualify very nicely as a MMO.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do items I get from solo mode and co-op mode carry over to the persistent mmo mode?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think it is MMO enough to qualify. When people read it has a Multiplayer mode, next to a Friends Only online mode, Solo online mode and a Solo offline mode, they think that at most this will be some sort of "hub" game. MMO= thousands of player in the same world. However MMO's have been segregating players since UO, in servers, instances and zone-copies. So is it a question of, how many players are in the same, *continous* space? When you go to Everquest, you are either with 100+ people in a tight spot (like any hub-zone where players gather such as the PLane of Knowledge) or you are very likely to be playing with 1- 12 players in an XP-zone, maybe. Still a MMO.

Shroud of the Avatar (multiplayer mode) will have cities and towns, with persistant housing, which will act as hubs with hundreds of players simultaneously. So the house that you put up in let us say in Akalabeth Village will be visable for everyone that is in that village. Now if the town gets overcrowded, a new instance of that town will be created, *with* your house. There will not be different servers. So though the owner (player) of the house may be in Akalabeth instance 1, you may be in instance 2 and thus can not see him: but you do see his house. I think this is still better then putting people on different shards. Your house is persistant through all instances,and your character can hook up with anyone playing SotA. This is more Multiplayer then many MMO's out there.

Now for the continous world: from these towns and cities you will walk up to the edge then go into an Overland Map: there is still some debate how this should look. It was initially stated that this would be a very nice 3d exploratory kind of map, top-down view like in Age of Wonders or the Civ games. Anyway, you roam this Overland Map untill you reach a spot where you can enter a "scene": this can be anything, from a dungeon, to a stretch of Forest to a Hamlet full of bandits. In this scene you return into normal 3D MMO-mode and can then explore this scene.

How will these scenes be populated? I am unsure as of the amount of players that can populate such a scene but I have heard a few dozen at least. The players that are in your scene are also differentiated by toggles you can set ( I think), by your party members, by Guildmembers, PvP or not, or according to language(settings): so basically some sort of "smart-matching". The good thing about scenes is that they can be easily tailored for cool Quests, can show progression and change in Stories, and new scenes can basically be implemented infinitely in the overland map, since there is no continous world in the old sense.

So if you want to walk out of the gate of your town, and want to keep walking without interuption, till the end of the world, encountering players here and there along the way
, then this will be different: instead you will hop from Town, to Overland map, to Scene. There are plans to also show at least your groupmembers on the Overland map, but the precise implementation of the Overland Map is still in the air.Mostly it will be a fast travel tool, though many players want it to be more like the maps where you can be drawn into battle if you run into a bear and such.

Anyway, I think because of the persistant housing and the no separate-server thing, this will qualify very nicely as a MMO.
Treesong that's roughly what I took from their initial descriptions in the past, and it's a matter of opinion where you draw the line of what is an MMO(RPG). The bolded part is important to me personally and SC and SotA are both taking a big step away from that.

The way EVE does it is exactly the way I want it. Everyone on the same server, all the time, and if you want to go somewhere you walk there - might take a few hours, or use the limited, in-character methods of quicker travel (jump drives and clones). It's a huge immersion factor for me. Is that feasible for a non-space game? I dont think so. That means concessions have to be made, and the current trend is megaservers that instance/phase people on the fly depending on load. Before that the concession was entirely seperate servers like WoW or EQ or UO had. I feel like the persistant world is losing more then it gains with the megaserver approach, that's all. However I did put in a small pledge for founder here recently, if nothing else I get a crossbow in Star Citizen.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
For the one year anniversary of their KS they're doing a week long series of dev diaries called Deep Dive that gives the latest info on plans for the game.

Last nights was on 'Multiplayer and Instancing'. It's over an hour long but you pretty much get the idea in the first 5 or 10 minutes what it's about :

Significant to me is that there will be roles like Thief carried over from UO (though plenty of debate about griefing etc) and there is PvP.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I went ahead and invited a friend to Founder, and then upped my pledge to Knight. This is by far the most amount of money I've ever invested in a game, let alone before even knowing if it is going to be worth it, but I'm hopeful that it does catch enough of the UO vibe that people end up playing it for years just like they did UO. Along with that, I'm hopeful that I can make most (if not all) of my money back eventually through selling off various Founder specific perks, like the various homes I'll get and eventually even the rent-free land plot. I can see something like that, in particular, being a desirable item later on. I'm also hopeful that something pretty unique like the Lighthouse will catch people's interest and be sought after.

To be clear, I still want to play the game and think it is the greatest game ever, but I'm also hopeful that I can take advantage of "getting in early and big" to leverage recouping some of my investment. If I can end up with say, the Knight's Home and a plot that requires paying rent after having sold off the lesser houses and rewards, and I've pretty much broken even, I'd be happy. A profit would just be icing on the cake.

Given my track record on predicting things like this, however, it is now guaranteed to fail and I won't make a dime back.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OUAriakas

Check your email mate. Once on the SoTA page go to your account page to claim the $25 recruit bonus which I've gifted to you.

Once you've done that stay logged in on that SoTA account and click on the following for the freebie Alienware $20 bonus pledge to your account:http://na.alienwarearena.com/news/ge...pledge-upgrade
You're the man Flight. Just to make sure I'm done, under pledges I should see my pledge as Royal Artisan with the Founder's F to the left of it, correct?

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Flight, would like to get set up with the same thing. How do I go about getting it set-up with you for the $40 deal-io?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You're the man Flight. Just to make sure I'm done, under pledges I should see my pledge as Royal Artisan with the Founder's F to the left of it, correct?
Yes mate that it's. You're all set with the $85 pledged. From now on you can move to a higher tier and you will get all the Founder bonuses.

PM'ed Anomander Rake and rmack.

If you do not hear from Flight, I used an earlier source in the thread and it worked out perfectly:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/fo...-artisan.8393/
Yes, feel free to use this guy - it was me that linked this and recommended him earlier. He got me set up and I believe can be trusted to pass on the $25 recruit a friend bonus to you.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Game looks super neat, and the dev team deserves way more cred than they've gotten.

With that said, crafting and UO type games were never my thing. The team is super professional and I hope their game lives up to the hopes so they can create a new standard in the genre - I'm rooting for them, but I have no interest in playing their game.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
BREAKING NEWS - $60 SoTAFounderaccount for $15

It's occurred to me that if I keep the $25 recruitment bonus instead of passing it on I can give folks the $40 for $15 and not lose out.

So for a limited number of folk (no more than a half dozen or so) you can have a $60 founder account for $15 - I'll pay the $40 and keep the recruitment bonus for myself.

This is the last day this can happen so shout up.

No strings attached to this - you paypal me $15 and you get a $60 Founder account on SoTA. ($40 from me and $20 free from Alienware).

1. Set up an account atShroud of the Avatarwith no pledges on it

2. paypal $15 to me (PM me for my paypal info)

3. Send me the email address attached to your SoTA account

You can then get the $20 bonus to your account from Alienware just by clicking on their link.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Haha, you are starting to sound a little bit like "Hey, psssst, I'll give you the first one for free........"

Just kidding, Flight, I know you hate to see people that might be interested in this miss out, and watch the outcries of disappointment in the next 8 months.

You could also make a few SotA accounts yourself, pledge those the 40 dollar founder deal(upgrade to 60 with the alienware deal), get 25 dollars on your main account, then sell off the extra accounts after the 7th of April ends........for a little bit more then 15 dollars. Or not, if you want to help out a couple of Rerolled folks that missed out.
smile.png

Thing is, SotA accounts are not tied to emails (you can simply change emails in your profile), just a username, and I have seen talk about selling accounts on the forums that apparently was not frowned upon.

I can see Founder accounts do pretty well in the next 6 months(untill release): after that it will depend on success of the game and wether you can still keep upgrading a Founder account (for Benefactor prices obviously). Even then, a 60 dollar Founder account will always have some goodies that a truly new account will not have off course.

Disclaimer: the game could flop hard, accounts may flood the market (including much higher tier accounts) and your 60 dollar account may not be worth a dime in such a market! Therefore I would advise to unload those accounts while the anticipation is still rising for the game, while no other way is available to get your hands on a Founder account.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Interesing idea Treesong and I'll probably do a couple of accounts to sell.

What prompted me to do this is realizing that the $25 recruit bonus just goes towards the $750 cost of my Knight pledge. I'm not gaining or losing anything while I do it so why not help a few folk out at the same time.
smile.png

Bottom line - a handful of folks can get a $60 Founder account for $15 for today only.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Flight, would like to get set up with the same thing. How do I go about getting it set-up with you for the $40 deal-io?

Anomander I got your latest message. I notice you say you've got a SoTA account and you've pledged.

To be clear let me underline that to receive the Founder gift and cost it needs to be an account with no pledges on it.

If you have already pledged it should let you receive Founder status but you may not initially receive the $40 credit. You have to go through PMing the admins there and getting them to sort it out and merge the two pledges. People on the forum say it can and does work but that takes time.

So :

i) have you actually pledged on the account attached to the ermail you sent me ?

ii) if so do you want me to gift founder to that account (in which case you need to accept it and then go through PMing their admins to merge the pledges)

iii) or do you want to create a new account attached to a different email for me to gift founder status to ?

Let me know here soon as you can.

Their website is getting hammered btw. Seems lots of folks going for it at the last minute.