Sierra

Cybsled

Pretty sure XCOM had that too. I know Star Control 2 would have you enter the star system at the coordinate it gave you.
That was common for most games back then. Usually you would just have your friend photocopy the book for you or go to a BBS that had a "universal" game cracker you could download that defeated the copy protection.

Caliane

yeah. games of that age used manuals to help prevent piracy. since, while floppies were easy to copy, not many people had photocopiers.

And some had REALLY cool shit.
rrr_img_73183.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I remember when the spoiler guides required red filter cards so you could only read line by line.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hint books that came with a yellow highlighter that you had to use to make the answers appear in the book

Cybsled

Those games also got "big" towards the end. I remember Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis taking up like 10 MB of space on the hard drive and thinking that was a shitload. Then CDs came around and the games themselves weren't too much bigger, so they stuffed them full of shitty videos ;p

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think through Hero's Quest 2, I must have called the "Sierra Hint" line that I actually knew which buttons to hit on the phone to get through the menu. Phone bill was well over $100 that month, but I grew that damn tree in the desert. AOL-Never Winter Nights, lets just say that phone bill was way over a few $100 dollars.

Cybsled

I think through Hero's Quest 2, I must have called the "Sierra Hint" line that I actually knew which buttons to hit on the phone to get through the menu. Phone bill was well over $100 that month, but I grew that damn tree in the desert. AOL-Never Winter Nights, lets just say that phone bill was way over a few $100 dollars.
Heh, NWN on AOL got me in trouble with my parents. Back then AOL charged by the hour (it was like $4 an hour or something fucking dumb like that). Anyways, I had won a contest that included $200 in AOL credit. So I end up discovering NWN on AOL and thus began the MMO kick. I rang up like a $400 AOL bill post-credit (I had no idea my $200 credit was used up). My parents got the bill and banned me from AOL ;p Some of the NWN folks actually played EQ1 on the Cazic Thule server. The Undead Lords folks from NWN actually ended up having a few members work for Brady Games...they wrote the Shadowbane game guide and also the WoW game guide.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh similar story here with NWN - no contest win - but completely had no idea of the hourly cost I incurred on my family, heh.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I can still remember doing the entry passwords for King's Quest III and IV. I'm old.
frown.png

The Atari ST we had for KQ IV required me to do some really WEIRD business with the floppy drive. Normally, I'd stick it in at the "enter disk #" prompt and it would refuse to acknowledge that I had done so. If I put the disk in really slow (to the point of holding the eject button so it would retract slowly while inserting the disk), it would be fine. Was the only game this happened on, and I still have no idea how this could happen or why.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
3 the spells were the, lock.

4 book words before the game finished loading, hah

I actually think 4, was the last one to have some kind of protection, I don't remember any of them for 5 and on, (exept 7 ? I think, had the steps up the cliff face directions, you could get up there without them though.)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kings Quest 6 had protection. It was the "page 27, paragraph 4, 5th word" type protection I think.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
hmmm, the last few kings quests though were mehhh, guess we will see how things go with it, my gut tells me a bomb =/

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kings Quest was the game that actually got me into PC games. I never even touched the PC before that. I think I started off at Kings Quest 6, then got 4, and hell.. I think I got 5 when I was like 11? I tried to get all the Kings Quest games when I was like 15 or 16 but never could find the earliest versions of the series and gave up.

Torins Passage was the only game from Sierra that I think I ever beat as a kid, though. I always got like half way into one of the Kings Quest games and would get lost. Never did try the newest version of Kings Quest 9 or w/e.

Like others, that logo is like... burned into my memory. Sierra played a huge part in my childhood for the PC. Sierra Online for The Realm, too. Although the Realm isnt popular (would you expect it to be this far from release? lol) the guy has kept it up and running with a few updates here and there. It would have done better with a cash shop, yea - but I think it has a trial. I couldnt remember my account name and password even if I wanted too, though.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i'm in for this for the nostalgia alone. if the writing is smart and calls back to the old games and makes fun of itself it will be awesome.

also:
rrr_img_73479.jpg

rrr_img_73478.jpg