Silent gaming pc

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dude. Noctuas are both quiet and stylish. If I ever decide to go all out on a PC build looks wise, it will be all Noctua beige and brown.
sure if you like imagining UPS is cooling your pc

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If 4080 is too expensive you could get a 4070, it's way cheaper and probably enough for most games at 1440. Probably slight downgrade in FPS coming from a 3080Ti but much better thermals. I got the standard two fan version of it and it's basically inaudible while gaming. Will use a lot less power too (which means less load on the power supply, which means that can spin its fans slower as well)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Might want to look in to undervolting the 3080ti and see how that goes. Minimal performance loss and costs nothing.

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm really not a "fan" of upgrading hardware. I did it a long time ago, just don't have the motivation anymore.

It's still annoys me that my *old* pc, at half the price, can run a game just as well (both lower res etc.) as the new one, while being silent and cool. They are doing the same freaking amount of work.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm really not a "fan" of upgrading hardware. I did it a long time ago, just don't have the motivation anymore.

Swapping out the video card is simple. You just have to make sure to seat the power cable on the 4000 series properly or you'll burn your house down. No biggie.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
3080ti is your problem.

I went from a 5800X+3080ti to a 7700X3d+4080 and my PCs power consumption dropped between 200-300 watts depending on the game. So my PC no longer feels like a hair dryer on blast during a game. Since the 4080 runs so much cooler the fans barely need to spin to keep it cool, they dont even turn on until it hits 60c and even then they only spin at 500-600rpm which quieter than a whisper.

1685253423214-png.475397
Dang I'll have to make this jump eventually then. I upgraded to a liquid cooling after my power sink fell off from the brackets melting. But IDK I use a Macbook for work and its so nice that the MBP is straight up dead silent 95% of the time.

pwe

Swapping out the video card is simple. You just have to make sure to seat the power cable on the 4000 series properly or you'll burn your house down. No biggie.
Yeah, but if it doesn't help...

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, but if it doesn't help...
True. This is as good an excuse as any for an upgrade if you're willing to spend the money. A real upgrade will not be cheap and you're rolling the dice as to how quiet the prebuilt will be.

If it was me, I would put the guts in a bigger, better case, replace the fans and maybe the CPU cooler as well, but that is not an insignificant amount of work. That's still a very capable machine.

pwe

True. This is as good an excuse as any for an upgrade if you're willing to spend the money. A real upgrade will not be cheap and you're rolling the dice as to how quiet the prebuilt will be.

If it was me, I would put the guts in a bigger, better case, replace the fans and maybe the CPU cooler as well, but that is not an insignificant amount of work. That's still a very capable machine.
I get some money back for selling it, and he will do the work of changing whatever needs to be changed. Actually I think I started this thread to get ideas for a new pc, not fixing the "old" hairdryer :) Still worried I end up with the same noise level in the new one, so doing some research.

Jovec

?
Quiet is easy. Silent is hard.

1) Get Noctua fans. There are quieter fans, and their are higher airflow fans, but Noctua has the best balance of noise and performance
2) Use 140mm fans where you can in the case and CPU cooler /AIO. 120mm only where you have to. Avoid 92mm/80mm fans
2A) Case fans should be unobstructed which means a good airflow case or...
2B) Get a sound dampening case like a Fractal Design 7 or something from Bequiet. Tech Jesus would argue that is better to go airflow with low speed fans than a dampening case that needs higher speed fans to compensate for the reduced airflow. I think with the right components you can do low speed & dampening.
3) Use the Bios or an app in windows to control fan speeds. Noctuas at 40-60% are nearly inaudible inside a case.
4) Learn to limit your CPU power consumption. AM4/AM5 is easy as you can just set the PPT limit lower. AM5 even has "eco mode" settings in the Bios. You can get 90-95% CPU performance at 65w as you do at 125-175w (depending on CPU model). You really don't even need to undervolt manually with a PPT limit or Eco mode.
5) Go Nvidia for the GPU (better efficiency) and look at partner models with larger coolers. Or even AIO coolers. Use software to power limit the GPU - you can still get great performance especially with the higher CU/core models (think a V8 that cruises at 2k RPM versus a turb0 4cyl that needs to run at high RPMs)
6) Go full water.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It was mentioned briefly earlier, but make sure you're thinking about where the cool air is getting pushed into the case and where it's getting pushed out.

Based on a quick audit it looks like I'm doing it wrong. How I'm doing it:

how-im-doing-it.png

vs how it should be done:

how-it-should-be.jpg

Any idea how badly this impacts temps?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Pretty good software. Play around with it to bring fan noise down. I had a 3070 and it was a dustbuster. It got real quiet with this.

I just used this but it's only allowing me to manage my 4090's fans.

Any idea how to get it to recognize my Noctua case fans?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Based on a quick audit it looks like I'm doing it wrong. How I'm doing it:

View attachment 485960

vs how it should be done:

View attachment 485961

Any idea how badly this impacts temps?
Since heat rises, having those top fans reversed is a pretty big deal. I'm not gonna say you'll suddenly have whisper quiet fans, but that is one of the biggest fan goofs you can have, short of possibly the PSU blowing into the case, but that's extremely difficult to do by accident.

EDIT: I realized that potentially your case could be lying down flat (doubtful, but I guess I can't assume anything). Even with that, that's a lot of air being forced into the case and having very little room to escape. Letting the hot air out is by far the biggest purpose of fans; bringing cool air in is only secondary.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Since heat rises, having those top fans reversed is a pretty big deal. I'm not gonna say you'll suddenly have whisper quiet fans, but that is one of the biggest fan goofs you can have, short of possibly the PSU blowing into the case, but that's extremely difficult to do by accident.

EDIT: I realized that potentially your case could be lying down flat (doubtful, but I guess I can't assume anything). Even with that, that's a lot of air being forced into the case and having very little room to escape. Letting the hot air out is by far the biggest purpose of fans; bringing cool air in is only secondary.

Cool! Wasn't aware of that. I just flipped the top fans to blow out instead of in, so there should be a lot better flow in there.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A PC case is a space heater in a box, so you want to pull in air to flow across your hot components and then push it out into the room where the AC will presumably handle it from there. If you have lopsided numbers on either the push or pull, or create weird directions that mess with the flow it will hinder your temps.

Even the two top fans on that diagram are deliberately shifted to be above the CPU and RAM more because you don't want air coming in the front and immediately exiting without passing over anything. Cases with space for three fans up top typically would only position two fans further back for that reason.