SimCity

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
is there even any info as to what impact you will have on other cities in your region?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dunno but I bet it was realistic and impressive sometime during alpha and then when they got their drooling retard playtesters on it they complained that timmy cocked over their city.

Really they need to have region management controls on how much you can fight other regions. Having simulated battles between cities would be awesome.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
is there even any info as to what impact you will have on other cities in your region?
After watching some of the streams last night with people playing multiple cities in a single region it seems like the level of interaction between cities is really substantial. There is the obvious stuff like sharing resources and services, but it went a lot deeper than that.

For instance the guy I was watching had one of his cities with only industrial zones and zero permanent residents. Then he built a regional bus depot (a separate more expensive building then the local bus terminal) in his more residential focused city, and workers would commute from their homes to work in the industrial city. Likewise, the industrial city would produce goods and they would get shipped back to the commerce areas of the other cities. It seems like goods and residents are further stratified by low income/low value - high income/high value and you have to produce the correct amounts of each depending on the market demand caused by your population demographics. At times there were clearly trade imbalances and surpluses which you can deal with by building warehouses and depots, etc. Overall the interactions seemed really intricate and seemed to have a huge impact on the economies and happiness levels of each cities.

Originally I thought the city to city interaction would be really shallow (just buying power and sharing garbage collection, etc) but it looks to go a whole lot deeper than that which is really exciting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That all sounds good but I am still really apprehensive that it won't be tuned to the lcd like Spore was.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
Watching streams last night crime can get really bad since no one built upgraded police departments. Most interesting part was arsonists coming and starting fires. The difficulty seems to ramp up alot between your own citys needs and whatever shit your neighbors arent taking care of.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yup, watched a vid earlier where a serial killer started murdering everyone, and the dude didn't have the right police to take care of it. Was pretty rad.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
does anyone know if they've fixed the bug where crimes are committed by white people instead of strictly black people?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Fuck it. Preordered because of that deal. Seems like a scheme to get lots of people buying before the string of bugs is revealed, but worked on me regardless.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Giant FAQ answering random questions I copied off the official forums:

1) A cluster of cities in the 16 city region are connected by road, but they can connect by other means of transportation.
2) Police Precinct's detective wing needs a university with a school of law, and a completed research project.
3) After placing a University in a city, high tech industry will show up.
4) When you build a university, you can do research projects to unlock modules on other buildings.
5) Roads connect a cluster of 4 cities, but each cluster can be connected by rail/ferry (if available).
6) Trains travel from city to city.
7) Sims in the region can commute to other city for school.
8] You have a finite amount of resources, so once you run out, that's it.
9) Rail cannot transfer electricity, just roads.
10) It is possible to have an entire city full of industry, but only a certain amount of sims will commute. You can get more sims to commute by adding public transportation.
11) The Expo Center, Pro Stadium and a few others will come with a list of events to choose from. As the sims make their way to the event you will see just how many showed up, and how much you made from the event(s).
12) Multiple servers are in for launch. They are separate from each other for everything, but you can use anyone you want and more than one.
13) Too many henchman equals LOTS of crime.
14) ProTip: If your citizens are educated, definitely go with nuclear power!
15) To effectively send gifts, even money, be sure to have good traffic flow into and out of your cities.
16) Suggestion: Make a loop through your city with a big avenue and keep intersections with it low. Cross streets too!
17) It is NOT possible to destroy a Great Work. Once they are constructed, they are permanent.
18] You cannot control Dr. Vu's machine. The machine will shoot things with lasers and missiles, and Maxis Man will try to fight him off.
19) Each region has different limits on the amount of players. The maximum is 16 players.
20) Trees do help with pollution, but will slowly die if your city is polluted.
21) You can not only add modules to buildings, but you can also remove them too using the bulldozer.
22) You can use the Ctrl key on your keyboard to quickly place zones along the edges of roads.
23) The secret to maximizing city size is road layout.
24) You can bulldoze everything in the city or go to region view and claim other cities to build.
25) If your internet goes down while you're playing, you will still be able to play for a short period of time. No specific time frame has been given!
26) In the final version of the game, you will be able to see spacing requirements for roads to help you build your city.
27) The "rapid" means of transportation are: buses, trains, boats, planes and streetcars.
28] The tutorial that we saw during the beta is the same, but there will be other tutorials in the game to help you.
29) Sims will use transit all over the region, they do not use planes though. Will have to get more information on this!
30) You can mix zones to help maximize sims overall happiness.
31) Lot sizes are automatically generated by the game engine.
32) Radiation turns into ground pollution.
33) There are no glowing ground effects for radiation, you can only see it in the data layer.
34) Ground pollution will slowly heal itself, but it will take a long time.
35) You can limit your building growth by keeping your roads at low capacity.
36) Emergency vehicles will only be stuck in traffic in single lane roads, if a lane is free the vehicles will move out of the way for the emergency.
37) Your cities/regions are only available on the first server you sign up on, but you can sign up on the European server and play there.
38] You, and other mayors will need to be on the same server to play together.
39) Each server has its own global economy, and does not affect economies on other servers.
40) You can upgrade roads to increase building density.
41) You can trade with other cities.
42) You will not be able to change the height of the roads, this feature may present itself at a later time.
43) Cheat codes are available in sandbox mode only.
44) Cheat codes can provide money, toggle fires, disasters, crime, etc.
45) A meltdown is caused by cutting off education.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"25) If your internet goes down while you're playing, you will still be able to play for a short period of time. No specific time frame has been given!"

So probably zero anti-cheating mechanisms.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does this mean the overpass like roads that were in a lot of the previews are fake? Or is this a different road height?
Not sure. I know I did raised roads on the norwich map since the roads were either ascending or descending a cliff/hill side. I never did try to cross roads to see if they go at different heights when I do that. I also know on the one map the road would be raised above the ocean.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'd pay them an extra $50 if they let me play this weekend, Tuco are you going to be around on Tuesday to be our official server picker?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do you know when it goes live? If it's 5pm to midnight EST I'll be around. Or do they have a serverlist somewhere?

I also don't know if the server necessarily matters? You can be on multiple servers right? And whatever horse shit non-city based attributes (ex, achievements or god forbid some kind of leveling system for your mayor character) is cross server?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Do you know when it goes live? If it's 5pm to midnight EST I'll be around. Or do they have a serverlist somewhere?

I also don't know if the server necessarily matters? You can be on multiple servers right? And whatever horse shit non-city based attributes (ex, achievements or god forbid some kind of leveling system for your mayor character) is cross server?
As far as times, the only thing I could find on their forums was references to 12:01AM EST Tuesday. For people to play in the same region they have to be on the same server but I believe you can play on multiple servers. Not sure if we are going to have more than 16 people here who want to play, never know how many people are lurking.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My expectation is that most people here will spend a lot of their time in the first week embarrassing themselves privately before wanting to make a city in a public region. Either way yeah, I'll be around Monday night, but hopefully the server choice isn't an important thing like it is for MMOs.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I'm looking forward to embarrassing myself with a bunch of other people right from the get go. Maybe the first person to get a 16 player FoH region setup can just post what server they are on here and we can all join up.