SimCity

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here's my magic city with the main highway running directly through it. Please don't laugh at my shitty design, it's my 2nd day! (and I haven't played any Sim City at all in 10+ years)

rrr_img_17049.jpg
rrr_img_17050.jpg
rrr_img_17051.jpg

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Here's my magic city with the main highway running directly through it. Please don't laugh at my shitty design, it's my 2nd day! (and I haven't played any Sim City at all in 10+ years)
You shouldn't have traffic problems with 36k pop. Add another 100k people in there and you'll see what we're talking about.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
You shouldn't have traffic problems with 36k pop. Add another 100k people in there and you'll see what we're talking about.
For sure. I haven't ran into any traffic problems yet. My issue was not building the right parks, and having my industrial area upwind of the residential...makes people a tad sick.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Game has a hell of a lot more broken with it than connections to the servers. The region play even on a stable server is completely spotty, syncing of cities takes way too long. Traffic Ai is non existent, Worker to pop ratio is broken, industrial to commercial connections are completely absent, pathing is horrendous. I could go on and on the fact many are of us are still playing is because the game gives glimmers of hope of what it could be and what fans want. Sadly with the more you look under the hood the more you find borked to the point of retardation. A game hasn't bothered me this much in quite some time because I so badly want it to work...
I think the unfortunate thing is that the always-on DRM has taken up so much of the focus on the major gaming sites, that the actual problems with the gameplay are largely being overlooked. The server issues are obviously going to be fixed in time, but it's unknown if some of the issues with game design are fixable or limitations of the engine.

I was watching someone stream last night where one half of his city refused to build up despite him using high-density avenues and such, while the area with low-density roads was exploding and overly congested. The only difference appeared to be the proximity of the two areas to the main highway. And, of course, stuff like this:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
All of this HAS to be the result of their servers being completely overwhelmed. The whole point of the Glassbox engine was to have distributed computing take the heavy lifting of complex pathing decisions and thereby allow the game to make use of a ton of these 'agents' to simulate every aspect of the game. With the servers being hammered and unable to keep up with demand the game is simply unable to function properly, it probably has an emergency fallback simplified pathing algorithm client side that says 'if you can't get anything from the Mother Server then just do shortest path" which is what ends up getting called.

There is no way that the above videos represent what the designers intend. The glassbox demonstrations from GDC a couple years ago made that clear... What is a mystery is how they managed to completely misjudge the computational load to such an exponential degree.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
All of this HAS to be the result of their servers being completely overwhelmed. The whole point of the Glassbox engine was to have distributed computing take the heavy lifting of complex pathing decisions and thereby allow the game to make use of a ton of these 'agents' to simulate every aspect of the game. With the servers being hammered and unable to keep up with demand the game is simply unable to function properly, it probably has an emergency fallback simplified pathing algorithm client side that says 'if you can't get anything from the Mother Server then just do shortest path" which is what ends up getting called.

There is no way that the above videos represent what the designers intend. The glassbox demonstrations from GDC a couple years ago made that clear... What is a mystery is how they managed to completely misjudge the computational load to such an exponential degree.
I very much doubt this, you can play the game for hours without a connection to their servers and all the internal stuff within your city runs like normal. I'd be willing to bet that its just the region level stuff that is being computed remotely, it would be absurd to do such fine grain calculations like path finding for individual cars/sims remotely.

sebur

Bronze Squire
As someone else mentioned above, my design is shit, haven't played it too much. This is my attempt and fail at a tourist city. It keeps itself afloat but that is about all I can ask for. I fluctuate between 230-290k population and my traffic is absolutely horrific which is causing fires/crime/garbage issues since nobody can go anywhere. Ah well, maybe next time.

rrr_img_17080.jpg
rrr_img_17081.jpg
rrr_img_17082.jpg

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
HzKzV9d.jpg

My current roadplan. The turnaround is where I'd put a stadium or tourist attractions. Each loop is on the grid so that they are efficiently spaced apart. If I need to expand I just add to the top of the path, moving the turnround with it.

If the main regional road goes through my city, then I'll have two smaller ropes like this connected to it, one at the top the other at the bottom (like two "radiator" loops).

Rail and bus service would be placed at the bottom of the rope with bus stations along the length of the rope (if I do busses at all). The entire rope would eventually be a High Density avenue with streetcars depending on where traffic congests the most.

What do you guys think?

Added services to the rope. I've had a lot of success with 2-3 small 2/3 fire truck staions as opposed to the big one. If I do build the big fire station it'd mostly be for fire marshalls and the benefits it brings.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think that I haven't really been paying much attention to this game or the thread, but if that is a legitimate road network in the game, that the game is a fucking joke.

What. The. Fuck.

lindz

#DDs
How on earth do you find a public game to play in? Every single one is full and there is no way to filter anymore. Can load more results forever... Am I missing something?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
How on earth do you find a public game to play in? Every single one is full and there is no way to filter anymore. Can load more results forever... Am I missing something?
Just play with some forums pals? There are usually a slot or several open in forum regions. Get in the chat channel and see if you can hop in.

lindz

#DDs
Just play with some forums pals? There are usually a slot or several open in forum regions. Get in the chat channel and see if you can hop in.
Yeah sent some friend invites, but wanted to jump in and play now for a bit.
tongue.png
Guess I'll just have to wait.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dude, join the irc chat. I'm sure someone can get you into a forum region.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently I'm just horrible at this game, as my population suddenly plummeted for no reason that I can see, and all of my money-earning buildings stopped producing because they needed workers. So I had to disable all of my public works, which means everything fucking burns down or gets abandoned, everyone dies from illness, and it is a never-ending battle. I quit because I almost wonder if it is yet another one of those server disconnect issues. I couldn't get anyone to move to my city no matter what I did, so I hope that next time I log in it will have fixed itself. Or, perhaps I had tons of high-density apartments that all burnt down, but not a lot I can do to get those back quickly. I've been purposely avoiding the "I win" button Tuco described too, been trying to do it the way that seems intended. I've got all 3 resources, and was making an ok living off of them, but now if they all shut down due to lack of workers, I'm basically fucked. Tuco even sent me 1.4m too
frown.png

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Emailed Amazon today and got a refund. The preposterous AI was the find stra--cinder block. Game is an embarrassment.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Really glad I didn't buy this now. I was waiting to buy it until the servers were fixed, now that the servers are kind of fixed everyone is saying don't buy it anyways because the game systems themselves are flawed, broken, and bugged.

I keep reading crap about how you can fill up your city plot in like 5 or 6 hours and then there's nothing else to do.