SimCity

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, it'll be a while before this game actually has plausible mechanics of give and take, if ever. That last part pains me to say as I'm really fond of the premise and am hopeful for their success. I don't comprehend the breadth of the incompetence involved in this debacle. This is not the work of a quality development studio.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's something similar to a:cm, they just kept SimCity on thebackburner until the very last second then threw some code together to get out released.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
SimCity is no AC:M. It definitely should have been delayed by six months or so, but it's flawed from the ground up. You could point to literally any feature or design decision and there would be serious problems with it.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Coming a little late to this, but weren't there quite a few "developer" type videos detailing how the Glass engine worked well before launch? I stop watching after my gaming PC died and I knew I wouldn't be able to run it on this shitbox. At least SC4 mostly works \o/

Anyways, were they just flat out lying in them or PR type wording them as loosely as possible based on what they were actually doing with the engine?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Coming a little late to this, but weren't there quite a few "developer" type videos detailing how the Glass engine worked well before launch? I stop watching after my gaming PC died and I knew I wouldn't be able to run it on this shitbox. At least SC4 mostly works \o/

Anyways, were they just flat out lying in them or PR type wording them as loosely as possible based on what they were actually doing with the engine?
Game did not meet expectations. The places where it did implement the types of functionality shown in the teaser vids, it was done in the most brain dead, broken, easily exploitable ways imaginable.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

The generally followed the intent behind the glassbox simulation PR/design discussions, however their implementation simply didn't satisfy some of the details. The most egregious example of this was their description of how agents would intelligent path to different locations. They specifically had a slide showing an animation of multiple agents going to multiple areas in an ideal way (hard and expensive to do). The implementation was that a clump of agents would iteratively navigate to each sink in a stupid way (easy and cheap to do).

I think when they figured out they couldn't make city-enabling bits of the simulation work they began cutting corners in the challenge-adding realities of the simulation so that the game was playable. The worst example of this is the infinite RCI demand which makes attracting new sims to your city inevitable.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
SimCity players report new bugs with patch 2.0

Players of Maxis' SimCity are reporting that patch 2.0, which released yesterday, is introducing new bugs to the game and, in some cases, causing the game to crash.

Patch 2.0 is the first major update to SimCity since the game's launch, and it aims to address issues such as the inexplicable fluctuation of tourists, delays in receiving invitations and the playing of phantom audio. Since the patch's release yesterday, players have taken to EA's forums and Reddit to point out new bugs that may be caused by the patch.

Among the problems reported include sewage overloads, cities reverting to old saves, cities being overrun with taxis, pollution being magnified, production slowness in Cheetah Mode, road textures disappearing and phantom noises coming from objects, such as trees making siren noises. An extensive list collated by Reddit user Imidazole0 can be readhere.

Similar problems are being reported on EA's official forums, with some players noting that, since the patch was installed, firetrucks aren't putting out fires, buildings burn but never turn into rubble and workers are able to enter buildings that have turned to rubble.

We have contacted EA for comment and will update this story as more information is available.
Patches that break more things than they fix? Maxis is really going all-in on this whole "SimCity is like an MMO" thing, aren't they?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone else have the feeling they are going to spend only enough money fixing it to avoid potential lawsuits and then dump it?

fucker_sl

shitlord
the legal area of owning a videogame has become so absurd a lawsuit is impossible

hell, you don't even own the game you paid 60? for. They could stop you from playing it 5 minutes after you have bought it and legaly you cant do shit

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I don't know why, but it is so entertaining just reading all the horrible shit wrong with this game, and it keeps coming. I feel like it's the same feeling people who read tabloids get when they hear about some famous person's life falling apart. It's kind of disturbing how entertaining is it to me.

I still can't get over the infinite RCI demand. That IS Simcity. RCI balance is the essence of the game. The game doesn't exist without it. Yet they built this brand new game with a new exciting engine and all these hyped up features, completely omitting the RCI balance. It's like Ferrari coming out with a new car design and you buy it and realize there is no god damn engine.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
At this point I wouldn't even bother torrenting this piece of shit. So glad Amazon has the best CS in the biz...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The sad thing is that from EA's corporate perspective, the game is likely considered a huge success. They sold a few million copies at minimum, by all accounts. So we probably can't expect them to have learned a fucking thing.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The sad thing is that from EA's corporate perspective, the game is likely considered a huge success. They sold a few million copies at minimum, by all accounts. So we probably can't expect them to have learned a fucking thing.
Wiki says 1.1 million in the first two weeks, I doubt it's gone on to sell more than 2 million after the huge amount of negative press. I hope not, anyways. I imagine the sales of this sharply tanked after initial release sales.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've definitely paid for my last EA game. I don't care if they release a Mila Kunis sex simulator complete with anatomically correct sex bot/real doll for $20. They won't ever get another dollar from me.

The stupid part is, I already told myself this a couple years ago when I bought the newest iteration of NCAA Football on the XBOX and it was a buggy mess that was not much more than a repackage of the previous years game, yet I let them suck me in again once more on Sim City. Won't happen a 3rd time.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
the legal area of owning a videogame has become so absurd a lawsuit is impossible

hell, you don't even own the game you paid 60? for. They could stop you from playing it 5 minutes after you have bought it and legaly you cant do shit
I think EU might have a word about this stuff, I mean they are even pushing for re-selling of "licenses", like what you get from Steam.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wiki says 1.1 million in the first two weeks, I doubt it's gone on to sell more than 2 million after the huge amount of negative press. I hope not, anyways. I imagine the sales of this sharply tanked after initial release sales.
No way it cost anywhere close to 60 million to develop this piece of shit so you know they made some cash off this. You honestly have to wonder just how much was invested in this games production considering how god awful it is.

I mean after reading everything that has come to light and been said you have to wonder which takes the case, this or A:CM.