Single greatest song ever written?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
can we at least decide on when songs stopped being good? i would say 2010 as a general timeline. songs started being good around the 1950s with some exceptions.
I would argue the 80s, honestly. There were some groups that have been decent in the decades since the 80s (Alice in Chains/Radio Head/Tool in the 90s, White Stripes/Wolfmother/Panic at the Disco in the 2000s, Queens of the Stoneage/Muse/Foo Fighters from 2000 on) but the vast majority of it has been shit. And samey shit at that. The 80s was the last decade where Jogger music did not drown out everything else and there were a wide array of different bands/styles all having success.

Outside a couple outliers, no one is going to remember much of any of the shit that came out past the 80s, at least not on the level of songs like Tom Sawyer, Bohemian Rhapsody, Running Down a Dream, Land of Confusion, Teenage Wasteland, El Paso, I Got a Name, or dozens of other songs people immediately recognize despite most of them being 30+ years old. There will never be iconic albums that get played repeatedly like Sports, Dark Side of the Moon, Night at the Opera, Goodbye Yellowbrick Road, Houses of the Holy, Back in Black, Sargent Peppers, Permanent Wave, Boston 1, Escape, or a ton of others I could rattle off. I think Queens of the Stoneage and Wolfmother have come closest to recreating that total LP experience, but I would struggle to list another 10 that are cover to cover listens since the 90s (and none since 2010). I think Let the Bad Times roll is the last album I actually bought and can recall listening to that way. You would have to go back to the last two QOTSA albums (both fantastic) before that, and then we are talking Black Holes and Revelations before that, and THEN we are all the fucking way back to the self-titled Alice in Chains album or Tool Aenima for albums I still play cover to cover in the present. I know I am not alone in this.

I would like to think we might be on the cusp of a type of revolution in music akin to what Grunge did to hold off the deluge of hip hop and rap. But realistically, the impact of the internet has basically killed the entire album concept for the most part. And the lack of a real equivalent to radio to expose people to different shit has not helped, either. These days I personally only develop interest in a group if I happen to come across them by accident on the internet or as part of a movie/videogame soundtrack. And the latter category is more and more reaching back before 1990 for source material, as if to hammer that point home. Shit has been stale since the 80s for the most part with no signs of getting better. And I think its why you are seeing a resurgence in popularity of older music forms/styles because Rock Music has nowhere left to go on its current trajectory.

• 2Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I would argue the 80s, honestly. There were some groups that have been decent in the decades since the 80s (Alice in Chains/Radio Head/Tool in the 90s, White Stripes/Wolfmother/Panic at the Disco in the 2000s, Queens of the Stoneage/Muse/Foo Fighters from 2000 on) but the vast majority of it has been shit. And samey shit at that. The 80s was the last decade where Jogger music did not drown out everything else and there were a wide array of different bands/styles all having success.

Outside a couple outliers, no one is going to remember much of any of the shit that came out past the 80s, at least not on the level of songs like Tom Sawyer, Bohemian Rhapsody, Running Down a Dream, Land of Confusion, Teenage Wasteland, El Paso, I Got a Name, or dozens of other songs people immediately recognize despite most of them being 30+ years old. There will never be iconic albums that get played repeatedly like Sports, Dark Side of the Moon, Night at the Opera, Goodbye Yellowbrick Road, Houses of the Holy, Back in Black, Sargent Peppers, Permanent Wave, Boston 1, Escape, or a ton of others I could rattle off. I think Queens of the Stoneage and Wolfmother have come closest to recreating that total LP experience, but I would struggle to list another 10 that are cover to cover listens since the 90s (and none since 2010). I think Let the Bad Times roll is the last album I actually bought and can recall listening to that way. You would have to go back to the last two QOTSA albums (both fantastic) before that, and then we are talking Black Holes and Revelations before that, and THEN we are all the fucking way back to the self-titled Alice in Chains album or Tool Aenima for albums I still play cover to cover in the present. I know I am not alone in this.

I would like to think we might be on the cusp of a type of revolution in music akin to what Grunge did to hold off the deluge of hip hop and rap. But realistically, the impact of the internet has basically killed the entire album concept for the most part. And the lack of a real equivalent to radio to expose people to different shit has not helped, either. These days I personally only develop interest in a group if I happen to come across them by accident on the internet or as part of a movie/videogame soundtrack. And the latter category is more and more reaching back before 1990 for source material, as if to hammer that point home. Shit has been stale since the 80s for the most part with no signs of getting better. And I think its why you are seeing a resurgence in popularity of older music forms/styles because Rock Music has nowhere left to go on its current trajectory.
Holy fuck. Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer...
But realistically, the impact of the internet has basically killed the entire album concept for the most part. And the lack of a real equivalent to radio to expose people to different shit has not helped, either. These days I personally only develop interest in a group if I happen to come across them by accident on the internet or as part of a movie/videogame soundtrack.
It has if you don't actually listen to albums or stay "stuck in your ways", you're right. You do realize all those "oldie but goody!" bands you list are still making music and albums, right? In fact, once of the best albums of the 2010s is Foo Fighters' - Wasting Light. It's easily their best stuff since The Colour and the Shape and is definitely listenable front to back. The album as a whole is more complete than even Colour and the Shape, but it just doesn't have huge classics on it like Everlong, My Hero, Monkey Wrench, etc. The only "skippable" song on the album is probably White Limo, but I appreciate what they were trying to do with the song.

And holy fuck, people complaining about "YOU KIDS JUST DON'T KNOW HOW EASY IT WAS LIKE TO DISCOVER MUSIC BACK IN MY DAY!" while referencing radio crack me the fuck up. Back in those days you almost exclusively heard shit that charted only. There is a fucking gold mine of music out there now with how easy it is to get it onto a platform like Spotify, YouTube, Amazon, iTunes, etc. etc. Never has it been easier to discover "new shit". If you aren't discovering new things, it's because your boomer ass is stuck in the fucking 20th century, still clinging to your cassettes and vinyls. I discover a new band almost every single week just from my "Discover Weekly" algo that Spotify generates, not to mention their New Music Friday and Release Radar has a deluge of "new shit" as well.

And quit acting like the 70s, 80s and 90s, etc.(insert decade here) weren't also littered with absolute dogshit bands. Was some of it amazing and classic? Yeah, of course it was. There are great albums and artists today too. 90% of the shit featured on those "big indie" labels "back in the day" like Sub-Pop records were absolute garbage - why do you think guys like Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. left their asses?

• 3Like

Sterling

El Presidente
There's great music in every era, but the barrier to getting your music out there is much lower now so it's much less filtered which is good for variety and bad for average quality.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i prefer the 80s too, but music didnt become bad after the decade clicked over to the 90s. there is always overlap from the previous decade. music stayed fantastic til at least the late 90s. then it made a comeback for a short time later with those chick pop songs. after 2010 there is nothing to look to as great. its pretty sad.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As much as it pains me to agree with Kirun about anything, this is Chuk and Phazael right now.

argue grumpy old men GIF by Laff

People haven't quit making great music, it's just not as profitable as it used to be so there's not as much advertising and we're not all listening to the same shit because top 40 radio told us to.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As long as Weird Al is alive, any music can become great

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Outside a couple outliers, no one is going to remember much of any of the shit that came out past the 80s, .

The Strokes - Is This It

Daft Punk - Homework, Discovery, Random Access Memories

White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
My humble additions:

Dream Theater: Learning to Live

Devin Townsend: Earth Day

For a no vocals song, Dream Theater: Stream of Consciousness

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As much as it pains me to agree with Kirun about anything, this is Chuk and Phazael right now.

argue grumpy old men GIF by Laff

People haven't quit making great music, it's just not as profitable as it used to be so there's not as much advertising and we're not all listening to the same shit because top 40 radio told us to.
its definitely something that can be pointed to. 2010 is pretty much the end of quality music. what we get now is complete shit. even by the same people who were making quality music in 2010

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
its definitely something that can be pointed to. 2010 is pretty much the end of quality music. what we get now is complete shit. even by the same people who were making quality music in 2010
I totally agree with the ~2010 number for mainstream awareness of good music.

It's still out there but much more difficult to find without scouring music websites etc for reviews... it used to be you could just put on MTV or similar and get a decent selection.

Maybe two reasons? The rise and rise of reality TV taking out things like MTV. Streaming destroying the music charts somehow.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You do realize all those "oldie but goody!" bands you list are still making music and albums, right? In fact, once of the best albums of the 2010s is Foo Fighters' - Wasting Light. It's easily their best stuff since The Colour and the Shape and is definitely listenable front to back. The album as a whole is more complete than even Colour and the Shape, but it just doesn't have huge classics on it like Everlong, My Hero, Monkey Wrench, etc. The only "skippable" song on the album is probably White Limo, but I appreciate what they were trying to do with the song.
I hear that Paul McCartney is making some amazing stuff these days, you'll love it.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I totally agree with the ~2010 number for mainstream awareness of good music.

It's still out there but much more difficult to find without scouring music websites etc for reviews... it used to be you could just put on MTV or similar and get a decent selection.

Maybe two reasons? The rise and rise of reality TV taking out things like MTV. Streaming destroying the music charts somehow.
if you have to scour the internet for a buttnugget of good music, then its dead, Jim. if mumbly joe is producing masterpieces out of his garage studio that nobody knows about, then it just highlights that good quality music is not something being pushed anymore. its all about the look and how much of a thug or whore the "performer" is.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I know Simon and Garfunkel wrote it, but I like this version:

And some Buffett:

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
If you are honestly talking about the best modern song ever written it would have to be something that touches all people all over the world. There are a few Beatles songs like that. Even the Coke jingle would probably qualify. I'd argue for John Denver country road. You hear people singing it everywhere, literally, with a tear in their eye because everyone relates to it on a profoundly deep level. Now it isn't my favorite song but I get why it touches people.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No such thing as a best song unless there is some way to apply math to it (or at the very least, some criteria that at least 51+ percent of the population could agree on), to measure it. It might be easier to break it down as "Favorite song of each decade" or "Favorite song per genre."

You guys are fuckin retards:

While Beethoven made some great music, when looking at classical, Liszt covering a violin concerto piece, using only a piano is more impressive:

Vs the violin with a piano filling in:

Vs the violin with a full orchestra:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
if you have to scour the internet for a buttnugget of good music, then its dead, Jim. if mumbly joe is producing masterpieces out of his garage studio that nobody knows about, then it just highlights that good quality music is not something being pushed anymore. its all about the look and how much of a thug or whore the "performer" is.
Part of this is an evolving tech issue, and part of it is just getting old.

I don't think you have to scour the internet, its just that things have changed to all be app based, instead of radio. Furthermore, tastes will always change, for every song linked in this thread you can find a whole plethora of people that hate it. The vast majority of people will hate new music once they hit some arbitrary age, probably around 40 years old. Our parents hated most of our music, our grand parents hated most of our parents music, and we will hate most of our kids music; that's the way of the world.

Pandora used to be good for finding new music, but I stopped using them when they pushed too many commercials. While I would kinda like to find more new music, just not enough to sit though commercials on apps like Last FM, or pay for apps like Deezer.

I have a SSD in my car with 1000+ songs, and ended up flipping to it when the first commercial comes on the radio/app and I don't listen to music much at home anymore. Still, I have a handful of music from the 2010s on my hard drive.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If you are honestly talking about the best modern song ever written it would have to be something that touches all people all over the world. There are a few Beatles songs like that. Even the Coke jingle would probably qualify. I'd argue for John Denver country road. You hear people singing it everywhere, literally, with a tear in their eye because everyone relates to it on a profoundly deep level. Now it isn't my favorite song but I get why it touches people.

It's probably that song, or Heart of Gold by Neil Young... But yeah, I could get behind Take me home country road as the greatest song ever written.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users