Single greatest song ever written?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you are honestly talking about the best modern song ever written it would have to be something that touches all people all over the world. There are a few Beatles songs like that. Even the Coke jingle would probably qualify. I'd argue for John Denver country road. You hear people singing it everywhere, literally, with a tear in their eye because everyone relates to it on a profoundly deep level. Now it isn't my favorite song but I get why it touches people.

If "touching" people all over the world is what makes a great song, then the Muslim Adhan is the greatest song ever written. Every Muslim uses the song as a call to prayer, and every person that lives in a Muslim country (and some European cities(?)) have to listen to that fucking bullshit blasted from the mosque at high volume, multiple times a day.

I know yall really really want to listen to it, so here it is:

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
If "touching" people all over the world is what makes a great song, then the Muslim Adhan is the greatest song ever written. Every Muslim uses the song as a call to prayer, and every person that lives in a Muslim country (and some European cities(?)) have to listen to that fucking bullshit blasted from the mosque at high volume, multiple times a day.

I know yall really really want to listen to it, so here it is:
I ain't singing that on karaoke night and neither are the drunk Muslims.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

I ain't singing that on karaoke night and neither are the drunk Muslims.
Well yea, I never want to hear the song again, but then I'd be fine if I never heard another John Denver song again either...

Also, I'm highly suspect that people all over the world sing Country Roads, really. Maybe some English speaking places in Eurostan, and in Japan, but India, Russia, UAE (only place in the ME that drunk Muslims can be in public w/o getting arrested), China, and 99% of Africa have probably never heard of it.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Well you've got me there. I've heard it in Japan, Korea, Brazil, and Germany.

Shmoopy

I like 311 but this is among the best covers in human history.

• 1WTF

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Killers are so fucking lame. I loved their first album, it was massive in the UK, but then they left behind the synths to be generic American country band to appeal to Mormons back home.

How dare you link such utter shite in this thread.

• 2Salty

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The Killers are so fucking lame. I loved their first album, it was massive in the UK, but then they left behind the synths to be generic American country band to appeal to Mormons back home.

How dare you link such utter shite in this thread.
They do a great cover of The Whole of the Moon... And even though the band may suck now, they were great once. PS; Cat Stevens went full-blown Muslim terrorist, but you can't deny that in his prime he was a poet extraordinaire...

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

And what about U2? They went the opposite direction. From a catholic rock band to the greatest band in the world then off to suck-ass land. Can't take away the art from the artist even when the talent runs out...

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
No such thing as a best song unless there is some way to apply math to it (or at the very least, some criteria that at least 51+ percent of the population could agree on), to measure it. It might be easier to break it down as "Favorite song of each decade" or "Favorite song per genre."

While Beethoven made some great music, when looking at classical, Liszt covering a violin concerto piece, using only a piano is more impressive:

Vs the violin with a piano filling in:

Vs the violin with a full orchestra:
Challenge level: Asian

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Greatest is a tall order to even define but Satie's Gnosiennes has never failed to instantly move me to a different place. To do so much with so little takes a true master.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

And what about U2? They went the opposite direction. From a catholic rock band to the greatest band in the world then off to suck-ass land. Can't take away the art from the artist even when the talent runs out...
I could listen to U2 or I could not, really dont give a shit. Back in the late 80s and early 90s they had some good shit, then some other singles here and there that were OK, but I really dont understand why they are so coveted by so many.

I really did like their unplugged song they did on the late show with Fallon a while back. Really shows of the dudes voice which is pretty bangin.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my friends and i used to crack on this song/video so hard back in the day.
when James starts yelling, "taken my face, taken my arms, taken my legs taken my hearing!" it sounded a lot like , dick in my face, dick in my arms dick in my legs dick in my hearing. 16 yr old hilarity would ensue.
also in the video when Jason Robards says, "any man would give his only begotten son for democracy"
i would add the response from the son
nah, i think i'll stay here with you, pops.
any man would give his only begotten son for democracy
no , i mean its alright, they can do it without me
any man would give his only begotten son for democracy!!!!!
but i dont want to go!!???
ANY MAN! WOULD GIVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON FOR DEMOCRACY!!!!!!

16 yr old hilarity intensifies. good times. i loved 80s Metallica, they were a trip.