Sir Terry Pratchett - RIP

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
BBC News - Sir Terry Pratchett, renowned fantasy author, dies aged 66

That sucks, he wrote a lot of amazing books, was one of my favorite fantasy authors.

Also, obligatory "George RR Martin is only 2 years younger than Pratchett"

I really liked the PC adventure game from the mid 90s as well that was based on his series
Discworld_Cover.jpg

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
In related news, there was a break through in Alzheimer's research using ultra sound and some substance to break up and absorb the shit that causes Alzheimer's.

Looks promising for early onset, which was something hewads big on?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck. I am not ashamed to say he has always been one of my favorite authors. I read his stuff over several times a year whenever I need a quick pick me up. From Guards Guards, The Truth, Interesting Times, Snuff, Men at Arms, Thud, Soul Music, Small Gods, Making Money, Going Postal, and many more.

Fuck fuck fuck he will be missed.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I read all of the Discworld books.

It's a very sad loss, him and all of the characters he created.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I remember reading the very first Discworld book. It didn't grab me the way it has others but it was very clever. I know he will be missed.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Forum pals convinced me. Never read any of his stuff, going to pick up a copy of disc world

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I remember reading the very first Discworld book. It didn't grab me the way it has others but it was very clever. I know he will be missed.
Go read Guards! Guards! The first few Discworld books were straight-up parodies and the series gotfarbetter once they moved past that.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Itzena beat me to the punch. Pratchett's later Discworld novels are far, far better than the first few.

The first two are really meh. I'd actually start with Small Gods.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Don't start with book 1 it was a little rough I think. Start with #8 Guards! Guards
Heresy. What the fuck.

I love me some City Watch, but the Rincewind books ARE Discworld. I have Anhk-Morpork fatigue this many books in, you can only write the same book about Vetinari making someone introduce a victorian invention (starting with a police force) so many times (thanks alzheimers).

I'm hoping that the reason for no Rincewind books for so long is that he wrote the final book years ago where Discworld is destroyed in a Rincewind story and it'll be released posthumously.

Probably makes me a pansie but the tiffany aching books he wrote were some of his best works. Set in discworld with a lot of weatherwax involvement.

As far as discworld proper gets I think the quality goes like this...

Vimes books

Death books

Time monks

Weatherwax books

City books that weren't vimes centric

Rincewind books

The stand alones like small God's and monstrous regiment varied too wildy to rank as a group.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Was there more than one time monks book? The one I read I'd just stick it in with DEATH since it stars Susan (one of the best books from memory though).

Monstrous Regiment was a stealth Vimes book?

Anyway I don't really get the Rincewind hate, it's the foundation of the world and basically the only set of stories which show it to you.

I can see how you would consider the lobsang book a death/Susan book. I think it kind of fits both. Regiment had very little vimes so I consider it a standalone.

I like the rincewind books, so no hate here. I just think they rest below his other series with the exception of interesting times. Yes they do set the tone for Discworld from a world building standpoint. However the quality of writing and the actual use of the setting is very different from his other works. Rincewind stuff, especially the first few, are funny books set in a magical world. Very fantasy. Very light for the most part. Whereas his other mainline series were satirical and philosophical stories that just happened to occur in a world with magic and mythology.

Probably my favorite aspect of his writings was how you knew the themes of the story just by who the book centered around. If it was a death book, then he was taking on the subject of what makes someone human. The vimes books were about change and coming to terms with how you lived life. Weatherwax books were actually the opposite, and he told stories in those about how to stay yourself no matter what the circumstances. The rincewind books at least for me didn't have much of that. They were just good stories with your classic accidental hero.