Sirius XM at Work

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So I got a good deal on the higher tier of Sirius XM that lets me stream over wifi or use the app. I'm looking for a "player/speaker" that will work without needing to be paired with my phone, because if I leave the building I don't want it to stop playing for my coworker. I know that an Echo and such will work, but I'm a) not looking to spend a lot when all it will do is play music, I don't need it to actually do all the other Echo-type shit, and b) have speakers at least comparable to the ancient boom box I've got currently playing FM radio. An Echo Dot has tiny, shitty little speakers, while some of the better Echos and such cost more than I'm looking to pay.

Is there something that will do what I want, without having to be tied to a phone? All the regular wifi/bluetooth speakers I feel will rely upon connection to my phone. Or am I stuck buying a $40 Dot and then a separate speaker for $20-$40 to connect to it?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Does the boom box not have an aux in? Don't most of Amazon's speakers have an aux out?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Does the boom box not have an aux in? Don't most of Amazon's speakers have an aux out?
Hmm. That would have been a great solution. Unfortunately, it does not have an aux in. I told you it was ancient! It was one of the first ones that had a digital tuner though! It has to be 25 years old. Still works great too, even has a CD player built in! Oh shit son, and a cassette player!

But sadly, nope, that won't work. Lame.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Hmm... Tough choice. If you had a throw away phone that you could connect to the app with using the company's WIFI, then bluetooth said phone onto a set of speakers, that would be your best choice.

Either that or maybe the company has a computer somewhere that could connect to the sirius/xm website and just play that via whatever speaker setup your company has.

You could get a real cheap piece of shit desktop computer that has a WIFI connection. Buy a sound card that actually has the type of out jacks you're looking for. Maybe something that goes into a standard receiver. Then use the wired speakers from said receiver for everything.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking the old phone connected to a speaker is probably my cheapest option. I've got one that loses power fairly quickly, but as long as it stays plugged in it should be fine. And that way we can change channels on the screen vs. having to ask Alexa. Since I work with someone named Alexis, that could probably be slightly problematic.

Thanks for the suggestions.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure you can change it so it responds to something other than Alexa

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure you can change it so it responds to something other than Alexa
Can't you make it call you what you want too? Like, I could name myself "All Hail God Emperor Trump" so whenever it did something for me, it would say, "Playing Ozzy's Boneyard, all hail God Emperor Trump." Or, "All hail God Emperor Trump, the weather tomorrow will be sunny and 80 degrees."

Almost makes it worth spending the money on one, but I think I'll use the old phone instead.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I mean I would use an old phone too, just pointing that out :p

I could definitely see amusement with these things, but I've never found the need or desire to have one

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user