Situations at work thread

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Not sure, where to put this one but have issue at work. So new position opening on helpdesk...yay. We are still quite a small helpdesk and position is posted on our corporate website, gets screen scrapped by some meta collectors but that is about it. I feel like I need to figure out how to be more proactive about going out and getting new candidates. Suggestions? Second working on previous helpdesks I have come to the conclusion that there is a small percentage of the population that is just way more comfortable talking to either a male or female person. We only have males on our team right now and I let my boss know this and I would like to hire a female. It's been two weeks and not a single female applicant.

The Female qualified pool is shit. You are going to need to use a headhunter to find a half way decent female. You can luck into a talented male, but 99 percent of Helpdesk applicants are shit or else they would be locked down.

I lucked into a female right out of college for my team. Her aunt worked at the company in accounting and was like "oh my niece does IT and just graduated will you interview her". She was actually a CS student. But we hired her because she was a family hire and seemed intelligent and apt to learn. She ended up being a pit bull working 60 hours a week without us even pressuring that, on salary. Was awesome.

If you have a talent coordinator they need to use a recruiter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Managed Services is a lie sold to people who are too stupid to build their own internal IT department.

Source - I made alot of money doing that.
Well, almost no one wants to build their own internal telecoms department, so we make a lot of money doing that.

And we lie so, so much.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Favorite lies:

"Due to the complexity of your environment I'm having this incident reviewed by our engineering team."

=

"I have no idea what you just broke, don't have any network diagrams or even the login credentials for any of the relevant devices documented in our labyrinthine abortion of a ticket system/sharepoint, so I'm waking up an engineer that's partially asleep and half-in-the-bag. I will remain on the bridge and sound like I know what I'm talking about until he/she wakes up+sobers up enough to join the conference. In the mean time, I will ask you to reboot everything and send me all your switch configs and packet captures to stall for time, while I open up tickets with every other vendor in your ecosystem until one of them figures out which of the dozens of blinking grey shitboxes in your racks is the one that's fucking broken."

• 1Picard

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
The Female qualified pool is shit. You are going to need to use a headhunter to find a half way decent female. You can luck into a talented male, but 99 percent of Helpdesk applicants are shit or else they would be locked down.

I lucked into a female right out of college for my team. Her aunt worked at the company in accounting and was like "oh my niece does IT and just graduated will you interview her". She was actually a CS student. But we hired her because she was a family hire and seemed intelligent and apt to learn. She ended up being a pit bull working 60 hours a week without us even pressuring that, on salary. Was awesome.

If you have a talent coordinator they need to use a recruiter.

This seems like the right answer, but let's be honest here the company is never going to hire a headhundter for a helpdesk position unless they get desperate.

• 1Worf

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Post it on reddit and linkedin and shit like that. Maybe throw some flyers around a local college campus. Targeting women is a dicey proposition though. I mean if they apply awesome, but if you go posting your position in "femtech" communities you might wind up with a huge HR nightmare on your hands.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're looking for someone for help desk, you should be looking at girls who took tech classes at a community college rather than ones in CS at a 4-year college.

Go swing by the job placement office at the best community college near you. You're less likely to find liberal-indoctrinated crazies a community college too.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We just hired a blue-haired female and I am mildly concerned. And she plays MMOs. Prolly crazy as fuck.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Eff me...I did some inquiries about this and were a fortune 500 company and the full extent of our search is posting it on our crappy corporate website. I can still hear our CEO sending out his little blurb about developing personnel's talent is top on his list because we are what makes the company valuable.

• 1Like

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Okay new situation. There is another company with a quality software product that would help our customers do things we do not offer. Customers are asking for this but we have are hands totally full with what we promised for the next two years atleast.

So I'm thinking, we should offer this as a solution, the company that offers the software has a reseller program. How wrong would it be for me to direct customers to this software, setup an account as a reseller with them and make a little extra money from the sales of the software.

On one hand no one is getting hurt. Customer is getting a solution they want. They will be happier with our service.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure if I told my boss this is what I am planning to do, he would shoot me down.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I'd be kinda concerned that a company is "busy for two years" but not expanding. Hell yeah I'd start my own thing on the side. Dumbass company.