Situations at work thread

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Yes, if he/she gets pissed find a new job.

I just want to support this. If you have the kind of boss that gets upset when you point out they are clearly making a mistake
you should be looking for a new job. Only drama comes from working with a boss that has a huge ego and cant accept that
they make mistakes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just want to support this. If you have the kind of boss that gets upset when you point out they are clearly making a mistake
you should be looking for a new job. Only drama comes from working with a boss that has a huge ego and cant accept that
they make mistakes.
To follow up on Cad's comment, it's how you present it as well as your relationship with the person.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm glad I've never had a truly shitty boss. I've never had to be political with any boss except for maybe two in the professional world.

• 1Solidarity

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I get along so well with my boss. It's going to be shitty if this dream company makes me an offer I can't refuse. :oops:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You just gotta do what's right for you. My first boss was a great mentor and someone I looked up to and he was super positive about it. He taught me much of what I know now and had me on a path to becoming great. Its the only job I've ever left where I sort of regretted it because of how nice it was to work there.

My boss at Akamai when I told him I literally saw his heart shoot out of his ass and it was broken in half. I felt guilty for doing that to him, but he commute was ruining me. People gave me shit that I didn't let the company fix it, but it was a fundamentally me problem.

If I left here no one would even care

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've only had good bosses. But I've had multiple product owners who thought nothing of throwing me under the bus. The more annoying part was that they gained nothing from doing it. That shit I don't get.

I've since become full on scrum nazi and it isn't an issue anymore however.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't count my bosses in the military. Outside of that, I've basically had 3 direct supervisors. The first one was terrible, the fucking worst. There was a time where we were literally in the hallway screaming at each other and he's daring me to quit, clenching his fists like he was about to hit me. I was praying he would hit me so I could have the satisfaction of seeing him carried out of the building in cuffs. When I quit (about 3 months later)he fucked with my clearance so that I almost didn't get the follow on position. If he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out, humanity would be better off. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Second boss was great, the model I have for the manager I try to be. He looked at his role as an advocate for those who worked for him, providing support and keeping them out of the line of fire from politics and bullshit that could interfere. I was lucky to even know this guy, much less work for him.

The guy I work for now is just fine. He's frustrating sometimes because he clearly is one of those guys who just says things without thinking or really even knowing what he is talking about. More than once he has put me in a terrible position at work where I represented him and told other groups something (that came out of his mouth) and he went after me and changed that up. Really shitty. But I just don't think he's a good manager, if we were coworkers I think we would get along. I've tried to modify my own behavior/approach to deal with him, since I think I have his number and I know he isn't changing. Since then things have been smooth sailing

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
You just gotta do what's right for you. My first boss was a great mentor and someone I looked up to and he was super positive about it. He taught me much of what I know now and had me on a path to becoming great. Its the only job I've ever left where I sort of regretted it because of how nice it was to work there.

My boss at Akamai when I told him I literally saw his heart shoot out of his ass and it was broken in half. I felt guilty for doing that to him, but he commute was ruining me. People gave me shit that I didn't let the company fix it, but it was a fundamentally me problem.

If I left here no one would even care

My buddy worked at Akamai, in sales.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I had one shit-bag-turned-hardcore-(except not really) supervisor while in the military, but fortunately never had to worry about office politics or "i can do no wrong" assholery.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Not sure, where to put this one but have issue at work. So new position opening on helpdesk...yay. We are still quite a small helpdesk and position is posted on our corporate website, gets screen scrapped by some meta collectors but that is about it. I feel like I need to figure out how to be more proactive about going out and getting new candidates. Suggestions? Second working on previous helpdesks I have come to the conclusion that there is a small percentage of the population that is just way more comfortable talking to either a male or female person. We only have males on our team right now and I let my boss know this and I would like to hire a female. It's been two weeks and not a single female applicant.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Managed services is not help desk! We are the people the head of IT for a Fortune 500 company calls in the middle of the night when a routing change breaks their whole call center.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
giphy.gif

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Actually, we usually call them to tell them they've broken it before they know they've broken it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Managed services is not help desk! We are the people the head of IT for a Fortune 500 company calls in the middle of the night when a routing change breaks their whole call center.

Managed Services is a lie sold to people who are too stupid to build their own internal IT department.

Source - I made alot of money doing that.

• 1Worf