Skiing trip

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hey all,

Two questions:

1. Where is a great place to go on a skiing trip? Girlfriend and I want to go, neither of us have been in 20 years. So we don't need like the best place with all the doubler diamonds, lol. Just something easy to get to, ski in, ski out, and reasonable.

2. How is this not going to cost a fortune? I just looked up a trip to Snowbird, plane tickets, $300 each, the lodge $1300 + all the BS extras they make you pay when you get there, lift tickets $145 per day per person (4 days -= $1160), plus ski rental, plus whatever other BS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Holy fuck, I looked up Stowe, Vermont, look at these restrictions:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I used to do this once a year.

Try big sky? It's far enough out of the way out might not be WuFlu insane.

It's going to cost a fortune. Even with owning all my own gear, was still expensive as shit. We used to pack a ton of people into little condos. Lol

Summit county is the standard, I've been there maybe 15+ times, but outside of that area I don't really know anything tbh

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
You can fly direct to Aspen, Summit County is accessible as well and a fair amount cheaper, Telluride is the best ski destination in Colorado but a bit out of the way (the prettiest ski town in the state as well imo), Park City is very accessible but also a bit expensive (close to Aspen $$), Whistler is far but it's incredible and a bit cheaper than the expensive CO ski towns (or was when we went). Skiing is not a cheap vacation, and not entirely worth imo unless you love it. Our last Aspen trip was a 5 day deal and was as much as our 10 day Maui trip later that year for reference (between lift tix, rentals, food, etc).

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I really enjoy Utah. Brighton, Solitude, Alta. None are too expensive (especially Brighton) and they're not even a 45 min drive from SLC so if you want you can stay in the city and not on the resort which also saves you some cash. SLC is a pretty cool little city too.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I mean, we don't do anything crazy because we have a 7 year old, but is usually coats us a 1.5k to go up to PA and stay a few nights (2-3 days) so she can ski. The wife and I dont even go, but prices for ski camp/private instructor would be the same for lift tickets and rentals for the 3 of us.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably not the best time, but skiing in the alps is probably worth the trip at least occasionnaly for anyone who like skiing.

I'm not even sure that would be that much more expensive as ski pass and accomodation seem to be cheaper than in the USA for much larger domain. That's doing European vacations right. Forget Paris Rome etc.. Fly to Geneva then somewhere like Meribel or Lech.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Probably not the best time, but skiing in the alps is probably worth the trip at least occasionnaly for anyone who like skiing.

I'm not even sure that would be that much more expensive as ski pass and accomodation seem to be cheaper than in the USA for much larger domain. That's doing European vacations right. Forget Paris Rome etc.. Fly to Geneva then somewhere like Meribel or Lech.

Yeah I've been to Lauterbrunnen and the lodging was extremely affordable.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Be advised, if you are going skiing in CO you will have to reserve a spot ahead of time and they only have so many. You can't just show up like you normally could. You will also have to take a back seat to local pass holders who will be able to reserve ahead of you. Also consider that lifts/gondolas/concessions will be staggered, which means the normally abysmal lift lines will be unthinkable. If you are even considering going on a holiday or weekend understand that youll be spending 80% of your time in various lines and 20% on the slope.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Be advised, if you are going skiing in CO you will have to reserve a spot ahead of time and they only have so many. You can't just show up like you normally could. You will also have to take a back seat to local pass holders who will be able to reserve ahead of you. Also consider that lifts/gondolas/concessions will be staggered, which means the normally abysmal lift lines will be unthinkable. If you are even considering going on a holiday or weekend understand that youll be spending 80% of your time in various lines and 20% on the slope.
yea my guide in beckinridge co was telling me that many different mountains are doing reservations differently, you have to check how

like some are doing it by hotel

some are doing it by the amount of parking space vouchers

and he was saying (cuz hes also a waiter) that the city wants to have outdoor dinning, in the winter and he says it's impossible, cuz of all the snow. the outdoor seating would be in basically tents and be heated by gas furnaces, but he thinks it's not gonna happen with all the snow that comes down and hits the tent.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Sincerely thank you all for the insight. All of these together makes it sound like skiing is a horrible idea right now. Especially for something I haven't cared to do in 20 years, and may not ever want to do again. We will have to rethink what we will do for vacation.

Any suggestions for a 4 day trip? Maybe Mexico!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Sincerely thank you all for the insight. All of these together makes it sound like skiing is a horrible idea right now. Especially for something I haven't cared to do in 20 years, and may not ever want to do again. We will have to rethink what we will do for vacation.

yea wife and i were thinking the same, we were checking out either marriots (cuz we want beachfront) or air bnbs in the hotel strip. but it's really sketch and us warnings place mexico at level3

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Careful in Telluride, servers and bartenders there(probably other places too) are hurting for money and they absolutely will over charge every creditcard they get their hands on. They're too used to laid back customers with money to burn. Pay with cash every chance you get.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I personally haven't been during COVID, but I have some friends that have gone to both Cabo and Tulum and the reviews were glowing. Less people means you have more of the resort to yourself.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there any reason to think the slopes might be less crowded this year? I guess social distancing on the lift line might make it a wash.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>

Colorado might be closing down again soon, so if you are planning a ski trip, make sure you can get it refunded if they close. We had plans in March at Vail and it took us a while to get refunded. Eagle and Summit county got creamed last year financially, so it took a while to get refunds. Vail was saying you had to make reservations for your gondola ride, but they might have dropped that. Our waiter told us they are not staffing the mountains as much this year, so it might be a cluster on the mountain. The one thing they are not doing is lowering prices.

--if you do decide to hit Colorado, Aspen is VERY expensive, but you might see some celebrities (buddies saw Stephanie Seamore and Axyl Rose there way back in the day). Vail is expensive, but more family oriented and has an awesome village to stay in.
--Keystone is good skiing, not hard, wide runs, and affordable (you can stay in Dillion or Frisco and save a lot on rooms. Each slope has a shuttle to the lift area)
-Breckinridge is good as well, moderate skiing and more affordable
-Copper and A-Basin are more narrow and can be harder and have less in their villages to do.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>

Yeah you picked literally the worst time ever for a ski vacation. It's not something you can just hop on and do unless you enjoy burning piles of cash.

Is there any reason to think the slopes might be less crowded this year? I guess social distancing on the lift line might make it a wash.
No.

Mammoth, Wolf Creek, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole and Taos (all places I hit every single year) are going to PACKED even with shitty early conditions and sketchy schedules.

If you got Ski trip money and have Mexico on the mind, go to Azores, Portugal and thank me later.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
ischgl_first_austrian_resort_announce_early_1_524907.jpg

Cheap these days.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
No.

Mammoth, Wolf Creek, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole and Taos (all places I hit every single year) are going to PACKED even with shitty early conditions and sketchy schedules.
Ok but why and how do you know? It’s somehow going to be worse than usual with COVID? I guess with social distancing with less people per lift I could see it...

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Ok but why and how do you know? It’s somehow going to be worse than usual with COVID? I guess with social distancing with less people per lift I could see it...
Prepaid passes are still exploding. Hotels are still booked. Tourist traffic to all of those places has been high even during a pandemic. Crowds in Mammoth, Taos and Jackson Hole were crazy just two months ago.

It might go down because of recent surges, but a lot of local businesses being understaffed are worried about crowds.