Skull and Bones - Feb 16th 2024 Release Date

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Who is the fucking dunce dago that designed an energy /stamina bar for full sails on a pirate ship in a fucking pirate game.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Who is the fucking dunce dago that designed an energy /stamina bar for full sails on a pirate ship in a fucking pirate game.

I agree, its not a great mechanic. The good thing is as you go up in ships, it gets less bothersome. Also food is so easy to get that it makes it a non factor eventually. It's super shit early on though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like I said the same thing in the Diablo thread before it came out and angry nerds yelled at me about how "that's how much games should cost now."

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Xevy

Log Wizard
I had it loaded and was going to play, then watched Lirik play it a bit and it didn't look like my thing. PVP is severely limited apparently and basically non-existent outside a few events and MAYBE a flagging system, but you don't really GET anything out of it. I think having a Pirate themed game and not allowing you to pirate other players is a poor decision.

Kind of fucked up the opportunity to make a better, gear-oriented Sea of Thieves.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even $16$20 for a month of Uplay+ seems like getting bent over without lube for this one.

Kinda retarded how they messed with the tiers so now everybody has to pay for what used to be the Xbox tier even if you just want to play their PC games.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I had it loaded and was going to play, then watched Lirik play it a bit and it didn't look like my thing. PVP is severely limited apparently and basically non-existent outside a few events and MAYBE a flagging system, but you don't really GET anything out of it. I think having a Pirate themed game and not allowing you to pirate other players is a poor decision.

Kind of fucked up the opportunity to make a better, gear-oriented Sea of Thieves.

a more expansive PvP system is in the road map for its first year.

• 1Worf

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'd check back in then, but if games like these don't hit their uber initial numbers the companies lose faith and pull funding immediately and they just die out.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, basically anything Ubisoft is a "wait and see" prospect at absolute best. If the game isn't dead in a year, I'd say it's safe to jump in. And by then, it's likely to have plenty more content/fixed issues.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Loved Odyssey, and I'm still pissed off with myself for buying Valhalla at a full $60...

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is this anMMO? the official website seems a bit vague and I can’t play the open beta this weekend

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Very quickly as in the opening tutorial of pew pew ship combat that I guess is supposed to show you what end game combat is like (warning: you are leaving the mission area).

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Is this anMMO? the official website seems a bit vague and I can’t play the open beta this weekend
It is a holy trinity MMO hidden behind a pirate skin. Its not bad, but not great either.

If you think of it like your normal fantasy MMO mechanics it all makes more sense. You spawn in as your boat, eventually skilling it up to picking a 'class' of DPS, healing, or tank based on the type of hull and weapons you choose. Then you go around doing quests and collecting bear asses and turning them in to advance the quests and level up and get better gear (hulls, guns etc) to do more quests to get more bear asses and so on. Eventually there are world events and bosses that will require/expect you to party up with other people to do the holy trinity of tanking, dps and healing to defeat. If you think of it like that, full sails is the 'sprint' function from MMOs and it burns your stamina, food and repair kits are your basic WoW potions etc.

Really, when you peel off the pirate skin and think of it as a generic fantasy MMO where your 'character' is actually your boat and it has all the MMO-isms, it starts to make a lot more sense.

The game isn't bad, but has all the launch MMO problems. I did the open beta so can't speak as to what is hidden behind higher tiers and if more of the map unlocks, but it looks to have the traditional issues of lack of end game content, what the end game cycle is gonna be etc. Most of the normal launch MMO maladies.

I feel the game doesn't deserve quite the hate its getting, but at the same time it is not special and not a quadruple AAAA game like the guy says either.

The monetization seems to be built around cosmetics and I fully expect a battle pass. So far I haven't seen any pay to win in the game, as all of the stuff that appears to be locked behind special currencies are just skins and clothes, which have no effect whatsoever on game play. I am sorta ok with this cause its not charging me a month subscription like other MMOs.

I expect the game to fail, not in any particular reason cause of the game itself, but its entering a market without clear good marketing of what it is and it doesn't have standout systems combined with Ubisofts PR team apparently being non functionally retarded and failing completely and shitting all over themselves.

The main story line has actually been moderately enjoyable so far, but its not up to par with a good single player game and isn't enough to carry it on its own. I will prolly continue to play it just cause I have an itch for pirate shit but I don't expect it to really become a big hit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It is a holy trinity MMO hidden behind a pirate skin. Its not bad, but not great either.

If you think of it like your normal fantasy MMO mechanics it all makes more sense. You spawn in as your boat, eventually skilling it up to picking a 'class' of DPS, healing, or tank based on the type of hull and weapons you choose. Then you go around doing quests and collecting bear asses and turning them in to advance the quests and level up and get better gear (hulls, guns etc) to do more quests to get more bear asses and so on. Eventually there are world events and bosses that will require/expect you to party up with other people to do the holy trinity of tanking, dps and healing to defeat. If you think of it like that, full sails is the 'sprint' function from MMOs and it burns your stamina, food and repair kits are your basic WoW potions etc.

Really, when you peel off the pirate skin and think of it as a generic fantasy MMO where your 'character' is actually your boat and it has all the MMO-isms, it starts to make a lot more sense.

The game isn't bad, but has all the launch MMO problems. I did the open beta so can't speak as to what is hidden behind higher tiers and if more of the map unlocks, but it looks to have the traditional issues of lack of end game content, what the end game cycle is gonna be etc. Most of the normal launch MMO maladies.

I feel the game doesn't deserve quite the hate its getting, but at the same time it is not special and not a quadruple AAAA game like the guy says either.

The monetization seems to be built around cosmetics and I fully expect a battle pass. So far I haven't seen any pay to win in the game, as all of the stuff that appears to be locked behind special currencies are just skins and clothes, which have no effect whatsoever on game play. I am sorta ok with this cause its not charging me a month subscription like other MMOs.

I expect the game to fail, not in any particular reason cause of the game itself, but its entering a market without clear good marketing of what it is and it doesn't have standout systems combined with Ubisofts PR team apparently being non functionally retarded and failing completely and shitting all over themselves.

The main story line has actually been moderately enjoyable so far, but its not up to par with a good single player game and isn't enough to carry it on its own. I will prolly continue to play it just cause I have an itch for pirate shit but I don't expect it to really become a big hit.

With beta coming to an end I came here to post pretty much this. I'll play at launch, as it is now, I'll play for a month or so and see where it goes from there.

Mao

Trakanon Raider

Dev says it is AAAA. 70 bucks with microtransactions and battle passes. Eat a bowl of dicks.
I am fully on board with Ubisoft eating a bowl of dicks, but Paul Tassi's article is also pretty much just vapid shit. He complains the game costs too much and will have microtransactions and that it is called a 'complete game' but is a live service that will have updates and expansions. That article might has well been written by an AI, cause it doesn't address anything about the game itself other than bitching it costs too much and should be free to play as a live service with microtransactions.

Fair enough, but that's more a rant against the industry than anything specific to the game itself and considering Paul Tassi's praise for Diablo 4, a 70$ live service game with seasons, battle pass, and microtransactions, seems rather disingenuous bullshit to let him slap out his article for the day.

The problem with the game is its just mid at best. They tried to do something cool by making a pirate ship MMO, but once you peel past the 'I'm a mother fucking boat!' veneer its just another mid MMO like all the others.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

I mean, a lot of that actually sounds pretty badass to me. But it's also Ubisoft, so I know they'll fuck it up.

• 1Like