Skull and Bones - Feb 16th 2024 Release Date

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have Ubisoft + this month because I wanted to finish Vlahalla (I know... and Jesus did that game take a turn for a worse with pacing issues all over the place and "Follow" this NPC who walks up a hill for 15 minutes... just.... Wow) But I'll be more logging in to see if there is a cash shop where one can purchase experience increases, resources, etc - because it's Ubisoft. 80/20 it is what will appear when the game launches tonight 11pm central.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
AAAAA = 80$?
Well technically A=$20, AA=$40, AAA=$60, AAAA=$80, AAAAA=$100
So really y'all will be getting a $10 discount on this AAAA game!
In any case, it's a ubisoft game, people should be wary of them at this point, much like EA.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well technically A=$20, AA=$40, AAA=$60, AAAA=$80, AAAAA=$100
So really y'all will be getting a $10 discount on this AAAA game!
In any case, it's a ubisoft game, people should be wary of them at this point, much like EA.

Who came up with this? Because $100 is a deluxe version of the same game with skins and or prepaid DLC when the DLC launches.

Who thinks of this shit?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is this game literally just boats MMO? Or did I miss the land bits when I saw clips of it earlier.

Grundge

Trakanon Raider
The beta is free to try right now. I was bored to tears after a couple hours with it. No melee combat feels bad.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The beta is free to try right now. I was bored to tears after a couple hours with it. No melee combat feels bad.

Beta is over. It’s now in early access. (Premium purchase or Ubisoft + members)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Conceptually it seems something I would love. Back in the day of real early gfx cards (like riva 128 I think?) there was this top down pirate ship game that was really fun as a kid.

But that was an arcade style game this one ehhhh seems a bit weird. Will have to wait and see.

Edit: found it, game was overboard.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sid Meier's Pirates and AC 4: Black Flag are basically the only two pirate games worth a shit ever made.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so synopsis after 10 hours:

MMO-Life pirate game where the pirate ship is your body.

Mission Structure that I have seen thus far is run of the mill: Fetch quests, Kill quests, a combination of the two - Bounties, Deliveries, Treasure map hunting (Very generic), and crafting/cooking.

Treasure hunting via a map isn't all it's cracked up to be - you go to one of the few islands you can get off the ship on, can cook there for food you use to get your stamina up when sailing faster, talk to NPC's and maybe get side quest contracts to get cash and increase your level, and then find a spot which glows when you get next to it and hit a button to loot the treasure.

Resource gathering and ship customizations is a little bit better. You have trade routes on the map (Which you need to explore to uncover) which will point you to resources you want to refine later at a refinery, or gather to use - and then build out better weapons (Cannons, Bombs, Torpedos (lol what), muskets, etc. Also you have ship furniture which gives special bonuses which you can create to install on your ship. Everything craftable requires blueprints which can be bought or looted via contracts. So there is some customization here.

Ships are Tank, DPS, Support. So some minor grouping strats but I haven't needed to do any of that yet. (Bounty's call for groups for the most part). When in trouble, you can call for help - you also use your scout scope to look at a ship and see what it is carrying. Once you get a ship down to a certain health level, you hit Y to "board" the ship but it is a cut scene and when you do that you get a few bonus items.

There are sea monster events, Cargo caravan events, and "Mysterious something" events that pop up from time to time. Resources are staged out across the map in various forms and you can find them by resource gathering (You get a saw, knife, cutter thing) whatever - Sial up to the resource node, a mjni game pops up while you are on the ship - there are like 4-5 of those and you also have to level up the tools to be able to gather higher valuable higher level items. You can also sink the ships along the trade route for those resources, or also raid a fort. Raiding a fort amounts to "Pillage" and then you blow up the guns and base area of the fort while ships come in to defense which you also have to sink (Getting resources the entire time) until the timer reaches level 5 when the pillaging is successful, you get a cut scene drinking booze with your pirate buddies, and get the loot from the fort/base/outpost.

Travel is kinda wonk. You need to continually eat your cooked rations to keep replenishing your stamina bar to maintain maximum speed. Wind is ridiculous and slows you down and gets annoying as fuck when travsering long distances. Good news is you can fast travel to places across the map for a cost of silver. However, to fast travel you have to be docked at another port/outpost. About 20% of the ports/areas are dockable from what I have seen so far, the rest you can interact with like a vendor, or pound the ever living shit out of them with your weapons.

Overall - there is a carrot. Story sucks I skip passed all of it - lots of cosmetics and options for your ship and player.

I would say if you are bored subscribe for a month - cross play/save works on Series X/PC with the UbiCOnnect app.

I doubt the longevity of the game, but it's something to do and a carrot to chase for a bit.

I wouldn't pay any money for this though yet until I see what/if there is any end game to speak of.

Cash shop is cosmetics only.

Graphics and sound are good. Music is fine.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Are commodities basically junk items to vendor? Also am I just unlucky or is scavenged wood rare? Need it for repair kits but I don't have any. Already so many materials and shit I need a youtube video to figure things out.

I'm also playing on Ubisoft+ and cross save is working fine. Better than Starfield did that's for sure. I was dying for something to play as I'm bored with all the games I own and haven't beaten so I figured $19.67 wasn't a bad buy in. No doubt I'll be bored before the month is up. The post about this being basically a MMO is the only reason I even turned an eye. Pathetic.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Are commodities basically junk items to vendor? Also am I just unlucky or is scavenged wood rare? Need it for repair kits but I don't have any. Already so many materials and shit I need a youtube video to figure things out.

I'm also playing on Ubisoft+ and cross save is working fine. Better than Starfield did that's for sure. I was dying for something to play as I'm bored with all the games I own and haven't beaten so I figured $19.67 wasn't a bad buy in. No doubt I'll be bored before the month is up. The post about this being basically a MMO is the only reason I even turned an eye. Pathetic.

I haven't had an issue with scavenged wood but you can get repair kits 1 and 2 from the crashed ships on the islands - get close to those and "Force open" with the proper tool - I do not craft repair kits and they drop like rain for the most part either by killing ships or forcing open the wrecks. Usually I just take Silver and repair kits from those. As you explore the map sooner or later you will come to a place where bananas are plenty to harvest and you grill those up for 40% food on your on ship hot bar (Edit to change the food type).

Also for resources this site is pretty helpful.

• 1Like

Mao

Trakanon Raider

Commodities are set up as a trading game. They have designed markets such that some areas/cultures make stuff so its cheap to buy sell, and other areas don't have it so will pay more.

Its an attempt to make it so people can play merchants and if you look at some of the voice options I believe it was intended as a playstyle at one point. However, its a pirate MMO and why make small money trading when you can shoot a couple ships and make tonnes more.

So basically, yes its vender trash at the end of the day. You can sell it in different ports for more if you want to be super optimized, but there is no point or need.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I’m an idiot. Found out you can use the codex in game to find resources you need and it marks it on the map whether you explored the area or not.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I’m an idiot. Found out you can use the codex in game to find resources you need and it marks it on the map whether you explored the area or not.
I saw Ut was playing this on Discord and was mildly tempted. For 18 bucks? Positive Meh. Probably the attitude I should have taken for Starfield. I have a fan dying on my 7900XTX so will have to RMA soon but might jump in if this doesn't suck or if I don't start a Cyberpunk run or something.

• 1Like

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I've got 12 hours into it and I'd sum it up with some headline I saw, "it's meh matey!" I doubt I play much longer. Unfortunately the game just hasn't clicked to where I can get a solid even 20-30 hours out of it.

The ship combat is really enjoyable but the blueprint / vendor / craft loop is just not my jam. I got the 2nd ship (your first real ship) and upgraded my guns to a green and a +2 and wreck stuff around the initial areas. I have a ton of materials but I need to sail the seven seas to get the blueprints to make any of it or hope some random ! job needs the supplies. Which I suppose makes sense but even with map markers going between points to pick up a blueprint is wearing on me. I'd much rather just do all my "level up" activities in the pseudo capital of St. Anne.

The getting off the ship stuff is visually cool but boring as fuck to me. Pirate bonfire up a hill for a buff? Can't be arsed. I didn't expect much from it which is why I did the Ubisoft trial but I hoped I would get a bit more mileage out of it or at least that initial "I'm into this game" rush.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I've got 12 hours into it and I'd sum it up with some headline I saw, "it's meh matey!" I doubt I play much longer. Unfortunately the game just hasn't clicked to where I can get a solid even 20-30 hours out of it.

The ship combat is really enjoyable but the blueprint / vendor / craft loop is just not my jam. I got the 2nd ship (your first real ship) and upgraded my guns to a green and a +2 and wreck stuff around the initial areas. I have a ton of materials but I need to sail the seven seas to get the blueprints to make any of it or hope some random ! job needs the supplies. Which I suppose makes sense but even with map markers going between points to pick up a blueprint is wearing on me. I'd much rather just do all my "level up" activities in the pseudo capital of St. Anne.

The getting off the ship stuff is visually cool but boring as fuck to me. Pirate bonfire up a hill for a buff? Can't be arsed. I didn't expect much from it which is why I did the Ubisoft trial but I hoped I would get a bit more mileage out of it or at least that initial "I'm into this game" rush.

Yeah. I upgraded to a level 5 ship - Bombadier and some weapons to level 3 and was blasting shit all over. (Had to get resources in East Indies and almost died 56 times). But went over that way now that I got passed one of the story missions in the main quest with the upgraded and some of these forts are damn near one shotting me. Basically need to find more blue prints, get more resources, get more silver, and get better armor and such and back to the same gameplay again. Nothing really knew except a change of colors to Dutch ships from French. Come to find the end game is just running heroin and booze and crafting it takes like 39 fucking minutes. 😂 meh. I’ll probably try one or two more times but going to try something else for a few days.

Game overall seems very un-tuned. Level 6 story quest and I’m in a level 7 ship (with upgrades) and a fort I need to take over damn near one shots my shit. I suppose that’s one way to lengthen a 5 hour main story run. 😂

• 1Like