Small Story - Yet Enraging (graffiti in egypt)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
You look like Keanu Reaves?

newwhoa.jpg
I thought it was Goliath who looked like Keanu Reaves... Does that mean that Eomer secretly writes long walls of text?

newwhoa.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Jesus titty fuck, it's a Family Guy reference when they go hide out in Asiantown.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Last time I was down in Luxor I went to the Valley of the Queens and some dumbass local woman actually reached out and rubbed 2 of her fingers down one of the brighter painted walls and then did the rubbing-those-fingers-with-her-thumb thing to see if any of the colour had come off on her fingers.... Un-bleeping-believable!
frown.png
(Fortunately nothing had come off, but who knows if skin oil will do something down the road. )

frown.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Family guy is terrible so dont act surprised.
Maybe it just has special significance to me because my first night in Japan a few years back we went to some bizarre little bar in Nagano where the bartender was dressed up as Jack Sparrow, and the first thing out of his mouth when we walked in was to point at my friend and say "KEANU REEVES?" That was about the extent of his English. I just about fucking died laughing, no one else (including the bartender) could understand what was so goddamn funny.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, maybe I was just an early bloomer or something, but it seems to me that most 15 year olds should know that defacing a 3,500 year old sculpture is a big no no.
Not a chance. Society today, across the world, is all about them. Everything is about "them". So who cares about some 3,500 year old sculpture? Afterall, it's all about "them", so they should have every right to do it right?

I'm sure this 15 year old kid, honestly, still has no remorse for what he did.

On a side note, the idea with the western names is that unlike our expectations where we try to coddle non-english speakers and make it acceptable for them to speak spanish or whatnot all day and be successful here (which you generally wont be), the Chinese recognize that in order to be successful they have to integrate. That's why they are very eager to learn English, and pick a name that is easier by western standards. Usually, this name is picked as early as their start of college. My wife picked hers her first year of college. They don't waste time and sit on their asses waiting for "us" to meet their standards. They meet ours. And generally, they are successful.

Also, most girls in China are fucking crazy with their demands. My wife is nothing like that though. That's more of a standard of what they call the "90s generation".

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Hong Kong landers also bitch about mainland Chinese who are coming over to get free shit and act all uncivilized.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not a chance. Society today, across the world, is all about them. Everything is about "them". So who cares about some 3,500 year old sculpture? Afterall, it's all about "them", so they should have every right to do it right?

I'm sure this 15 year old kid, honestly, still has no remorse for what he did.
I don't think this is unique to kids today. You just sound like an old person.

Szlia

On a side note, the idea with the western names is that unlike our expectations where we try to coddle non-english speakers and make it acceptable for them to speak spanish or whatnot all day and be successful here (which you generally wont be), the Chinese recognize that in order to be successful they have to integrate. That's why they are very eager to learn English, and pick a name that is easier by western standards. Usually, this name is picked as early as their start of college. My wife picked hers her first year of college. They don't waste time and sit on their asses waiting for "us" to meet their standards. They meet ours. And generally, they are successful.
I always assumed that the main motivator was to have a name that would not be constantly mispronounced and/or forgotten by western interlocutors. I guess that motivation falls into the 'trying to integrate' category though, but with a 'let's not even hope that these retards will ever learn' vibe rather than a 'I shall conform to the norms for great success' vibe.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I always assumed that the main motivator was to have a name that would not be constantly mispronounced and/or forgotten by western interlocutors. I guess that motivation falls into the 'trying to integrate' category though, but with a 'let's not even hope that these retards will ever learn' vibe rather than a 'I shall conform to the norms for great success' vibe.
no, its for great success. the primary motivation for it is economic reasons.

Nepenthes_sl

shitlord
We're going to some Mayan ruins in Belize in August.. Having trouble finding out if they were the ones demolished. Kind of curious if we should ask for our money back.
Not to worry, I doubt it was on your itinerary. It wasn't a tourist destination or anything. It was a single, unexcavated mound in a field.