Smartphones

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In short, because it's a family plan to save a couple bucks and really don't feel like the drama that my in-laws give over ANYTHING odd, even if I hand them a check for it in advance they'll still fucking bitch because that's their nature.... (Contrary to most Jews I know, they actually fit the stereotypes... so angsty over EVEEEEEERYTHING)

We'll see though, maybe my screen will break enough (it's cracked but still 100% usable) that it will become unusable and I'll say screw it though...

Plus even for right this second, even assuming I can cash in some of the trust quickly before they sell out until Wave 2 - I'm not 100% sure about the Nexus 5 train if it doesn't have the uber battery in the 32 MB anymore, that's honestly the biggest feature to me since I hate my current battery life.

Northerner

N00b
Same battery for both versions at 2300mAh but with the new low-power chips and some software magic, it is supposed to be a non-issue. I'd have paid more for a 3k version though for certain.

Honestly, the 32 versus 16 is probably a silly question and the 16 is more than enough. Still, $50? Fuck it.

Vaclav

Still haven't filled the 8GB on my GNex in around 2 yrs and never deleting photos or anything. So 16 GB it is when I do it.

Thanks for the reminder on the power saving stuff had forgotten.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The fucking charging plug on my Galaxy Nexus is going bad again. This is the third one of these god damn phones I have had and this one is only like 3 months old. I have an upgrade in January and I can't wait to get rid of this fucking thing.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
If you port your number over to Google Voice you can get it all set up so you can do free WiFi calling w/o using your minutes and can have your calls automatically forwarded to whatever dummy cell number you get from TMO when you don't have an internet connection. It takes a bit of work to set up but if you do it right it works pretty flawlessly. Even sounds great. If you need more details XDA will be much more helpful than I
wink.png
Can you point me toward a current thread for this? I've used a VOIP app once that ended up working rather poorly...

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The fucking charging plug on my Galaxy Nexus is going bad again. This is the third one of these god damn phones I have had and this one is only like 3 months old. I have an upgrade in January and I can't wait to get rid of this fucking thing.
Wow, finally someone is experiencing my problem. My second charger -- I've had 4 altogether, one in my car, home, and partner's home. The one in the partner's home as well as the first one both have died. I've been out of a phone for a couple days now because I just can't see myself spending $10-20 on a fucking charger from Best Buy. Why can't there be a Monoprice store?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I didn't want to wait for shipping and pay for shipping costs so I picked up a 16GB Nexus 5 at my local phone retail store instead of getting it from Google Play. It was slightly cheaper and it was the last one they had!

Playing around with it and it's soooo nice. Really impressed with it so far.

4.4 KitKat is a joy to use.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't even know you could get it anywhere besides the Google Play store.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wow, finally someone is experiencing my problem. My second charger -- I've had 4 altogether, one in my car, home, and partner's home. The one in the partner's home as well as the first one both have died. I've been out of a phone for a couple days now because I just can't see myself spending $10-20 on a fucking charger from Best Buy. Why can't there be a Monoprice store?
His mini USB port on the phone is bad, not the charger itself.

What retailers are selling the N5? I hate how the google play store forced you into expensive shipping.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
My nexus 5 should be here on Tuesday. I think my first text ever sent will be sow plz to an old shaman buddy of mine. He will rage at me just like old times.
smile.png
I am actually excited.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
It really is a slick phone. Very responsive and the screen is really good. I used to have a Note 1 before this and the improvement from it is ridiculous.

Problem is trying to find a good case now to protect my new toy :p

Vaclav

Hard to go wrong at a penny - even if it does have shipping on top.

And note, still looks like they're taking orders even for Wave 2 already since they're taking them at 2-4 weeks out depending on the specific unit - guess they've improved their method from old FCFS and then removing the listing method.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So sprint is chargin $449 for the 16gb nexus 5 off contract, $199 on contract. Are people fucking stupid enough to swallow that shit?

Vaclav

Sprint has always overcharged for phones... and being that usually you could only get their models through them they had free reign to. This is the first time I've heard of a "normal phone" that could take a SIM working on Sprint interchangeably.

Yes, you can buy a Nexus 5 from Google Play and activate it on Sprint | Android Central

Which once I figure out how much the wife's ulcer is going to adjust our food budget, I may be rushing quicker to get ours after all - since I could just activate it now with them and walk with it later over to the other providers - win-win.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
So sprint is chargin $449 for the 16gb nexus 5 off contract, $199 on contract. Are people fucking stupid enough to swallow that shit?
I'm sure they'll sell a ton of phones off contract even, never mind the allure of the lower price tag for people on contract. Yes, people are stupid -- or uninformed, rather.