Smartphones

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You are correct, the Moto G does not support LTE. Which is a side effect of it being aimed at other markets, not the US. We spread LTE faster than the rest of the world, go figure.

I would jump on that plan if I had decent tmo coverage. What does the plan cost after fees and taxes?

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
You are correct, the Moto G does not support LTE. Which is a side effect of it being aimed at other markets, not the US. We spread LTE faster than the rest of the world, go figure.

I would jump on that plan if I had decent tmo coverage. What does the plan cost after fees and taxes?
To get both phones up and running it cost me a total of $63.45

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hey there, tech folks. I've had it with the "updated" Swype keyboard for my Galaxy S3. It doesn't remember any of my made-up words or spellings and is pants-on-head retarded about a lot of the text it inserts (why the fuck does "heading" always end up as "hedging"). I really like Swype because I know how good it can be, but the default one sucks balls. Which keyboard should I buy? I have some credit to burn in the Amazon store (not that $3 matters). Is SwiftKey good?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I like Swiftkey, never used Swype. I have had to entirely stop using the word "pretty" though, because it just can't figure that shit out. I DON'T KNOW ANY FUCKING PERRY. FUCK.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've gone from Sony's custom version of Swype to HTC's Sense keyboard with the trace option turned on to SwiftKey 4. HTC Sense wasn't terrible, but I cannot stand that doing a long press on backspace deletes character by character at hyper speed instead of deleting a whole word and giving a slight bit of vibrate feedback like both Swype and SwiftKey do.

Anyway, imo SwiftKey 4 with Flow turned on is almost as good as the version of Swype I had on my Xperia Play. Only things I don't like are that doing a whole sentence with Flow kind of sucks. That's a new feature that doesn't really matter to me anyway--even if it worked well, I'd still probably continue to trace a word at a time. The other thing I can't get used to is that you aren't able to loop on a letter to double it like Swype does. Typing "too" instead of "to" is unnecessarily complicated.

You should just download it and see for yourself though; the free trial on Play Store is good for a month.

I like Swiftkey, never used Swype. I have had to entirely stop using the word "pretty" though, because it just can't figure that shit out. I DON'T KNOW ANY FUCKING PERRY. FUCK.
Weird, I just tried typing "pretty" half a dozen times with SwiftKey 4 and I couldn't even get it to come up with "Perry" as a suggestion when I tapped the word.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
You know you can long press on a prediction and choose to have swiftkey remove that word from its dictionary right?

If anyone wants to try out swiftkey, you can get the current beta here:http://bit.ly/skemojibeta

Siliconemelons

or use real keyboards...

okay okay old man rustle off...

Is there any place that has a good list of all the crap that is/may be at CES thats my deciding point on a new phone- also by then we should know WTF BlackBerry is doing- dieing or not. the Z30 is looking nice to me... out of the 5-6 phones I messed with for a little at the verizon store I could type best on the z30 and q10 /shurg... and BB10 is gesture-y that I am familiar with WebOS...

that is if my poor pre3 can live until after CES hehe

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know if we will hear much about the CES stuff until a couple days before the show. CES hasn't really had big new phone announcements lately though, they seem to prefer to do their own event the last couple years. That said, I'm due for a new phone but I'm not pulling the trigger on anything until after CES.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Weird, I just tried typing "pretty" half a dozen times with SwiftKey 4 and I couldn't even get it to come up with "Perry" as a suggestion when I tapped the word.
Sorry, wasn't clear. I am 50/50 with Swiftkey between typing and swiping.

Denamian_sl said:
You know you can long press on a prediction and choose to have swiftkey remove that word from its dictionary right?
Yup, I do. What if I meet someone named Perry, though?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
so the board on my Note 3 fried. No one knows why but whatever it was it happened fast over a period of 24 hours.

My store should be getting my replacement tomorrow hopefully.
frown.png

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Gonna be getting my heavily indebted gf a prepaid iphone 5s (HAS to be an iphone /eyeroll) for xmas. Anyone of you handsome and smart devils have any insight into which offers the best/fastest service?

If I am spending 500+ on a phone that will be on a pre paid network, I wanna make sure I make the right choice but know fuck all about pre paid network speeds so any advice is much appreciated!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I was on straight talk through AT&T (not sure that is an option anymore) and it was nice for the few months I needed an extra line.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm confused. Wasn't TMO ready to be bought out by ATT about a year ago? Now they're going whole hog?

Paying off the ETF still doesn't solve the problem that you're switching from two carriers with good coverage to one with poor coverage, at least where I live.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm confused. Wasn't TMO ready to be bought out by ATT about a year ago? Now they're going whole hog?

Paying off the ETF still doesn't solve the problem that you're switching from two carriers with good coverage to one with poor coverage, at least where I live.
That deal was nixed by the FCC iirc.

And I am willing to give TMO my business, even if their service is inferior, if they continue to work on killing the current service provider model. But TMO is at least a serviceable option in my area, and they charge a very fair (low) price for that "inferior" service. In my area, the difference between TMO and VZW isn't that huge. VZW is better, but not as much better as VZW thinks they are (based on what they charge and try to do to their customers anyways).