Smartphones

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Get a tmobile sim and do the sim swap to get mms working. I updated to 6.0 first day by accident and used that method to get my mms working on straight talk. They explain the steps here:http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/?p=683

I know now that the JB is out not really necessary but some may want to stay stock and have mms working.
This stopped working with 6.0.2+ on the 4S - I tried a couple different SIMs from TMOUS and couldn't get the APN settings to populate correctly. Even if it's just for APNEdit or TetherMe, it's probably worth jailbreaking.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
This worked with 6.1 as I updated in prep for the JB after it was released. I totally agree about JB being worth it. Only reason I have stayed with the iphone.

Mageling

This worked with 6.1 as I updated in prep for the JB after it was released. I totally agree about JB being worth it. Only reason I have stayed with the iphone.
Odd. I wonder if there was something wrong with the TMOUS SIMs I had. Oh well, APNEdit resolved my MMS problems and I can go back to using my SGS3 as a tinker toy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's good. I guess I will wait a few weeks and jailbreak it, was worried there was a chance while jailbreaking it I could brick it. Won't OC it lol.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That's good. I guess I will wait a few weeks and jailbreak it, was worried there was a chance while jailbreaking it I could brick it. Won't OC it lol.
Jailbreaking is a lot "safer" than it used to be, thanks in part to the tremendous demand for it. Of course, the problem with tremendous demand is... tremendous demand. Some of the repositories are completely jammed right now. Such a pain in the ass, but hey, at least we can jailbreak again.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As my nexus 4 has been shipped and will be arriving soon, I went to order a sim from straight talk and here's no option for buying an AT&T sim anymore. I do some searching around and it seems they stopped selling them online about a week ago. There have been conflicting reports on whether they will be selling them again or if they're going TMobile only, but on twitter they have said they will be selling them again once they become available. TMobile is complete crap where I live (upstate NY), with coverage being mostly 2G, 3G in some towns, and a lot of no coverage areas.

Apparently they are still honoring AT&T sims if you get them from Walmart, so I'll be checking out the local stores. Thankfully they're currently listed as in stock online but that may not last, as they were listed as out of stock recently.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As my nexus 4 has been shipped and will be arriving soon, I went to order a sim from straight talk and here's no option for buying an AT&T sim anymore. I do some searching around and it seems they stopped selling them online about a week ago. There have been conflicting reports on whether they will be selling them again or if they're going TMobile only, but on twitter they have said they will be selling them again once they become available. TMobile is complete crap where I live (upstate NY), with coverage being mostly 2G, 3G in some towns, and a lot of no coverage areas.

Apparently they are still honoring AT&T sims if you get them from Walmart, so I'll be checking out the local stores. Thankfully they're currently listed as in stock online but that may not last, as they were listed as out of stock recently.
Have you checked eBay for AT&T sims? I seem to remember seeing them on there not too long ago.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Cydia repos are behaving much better today. Managed to download all of my old stuff through PkgBackup. It worked surprisingly well.

God, I missed the jailbreak.

Mageling

Damn, that's interesting to hear. I just had them send me a discount if I signed up for auto-pay by the 15th of this month. Hopefully they stick around with AT&T, I couldn't imagine having to buy a phone that worked on TMOUS bands right now.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have you checked eBay for AT&T sims? I seem to remember seeing them on there not too long ago.
Well it turns out Walmart only sells sim cards online. They were listed as in stock, so I tried ordering a micro sim with 30 days of time and kept getting billing errors no matter what payment method I used. I tried ordering just the sim and it went right through and shipped last night. According to what I've read lately, Straight Talk is saying this is just a shortage of sims and they will start selling them again once they get more. I find it odd that they're completely removed from their website though, instead of simply listed as out of stock if that's the case.

Anyway, the Nexus 4 arrived yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Build quality is excellent, far better than my Galaxy Nexus. Its display is also far superior when I put them side by side, especially at lower brightness levels. The colors on the Nexus 4 are definitely much cooler, almost too much so, but much more realistic that the Galaxy Nexus. I'm definitely interested on seeing what it looks like once I root it and try out Paranoid Android on it. They recently made some changes to their kernel that improve color accuracy by quite a bit.

Until I get my sim I can't test this out as a phone and see if I get the speaker buzz that some have reported, but overall this seems to be an excellent phone. Overall performance has been very good, though it does get a little warm when gaming, but not excessively so. The only real negative I see is the glass back, which while nice looking, is something that I worry about scratching all to hell. I'll just get a clear protector for it and probably one of those Poetic bumpers, now that they have fixed the peeling issue.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Great news for UK folks.

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Pr...emium-2f0.aspx

Three won't be charging extra for LTE when they launch their service later this year. Their DC-HSDPA service is already twice as quick as my home broadband - I'm curious to see how their 4g service will fare. If it's good enough, I might ditch my home broadband and switch to using mobile broadband full time.

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
Xperia? Z
lk9yPYo.png

http://youtu.be/KNsX30n0R3s

anyone looking at this phone? ( comes out on the 28th in Uk ) and hopefully soon here as well it looks promising from sony

lk9yPYo.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I always get a "try too hard" feeling from Sony's physical design. That round button, I'm assuming is power, is an eyesore.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I have always found buttons on the left side like that a huge PITA. I had a samsung from work that had a the power button on the side. I always hold the phone in my left hand and was constantly pressing the power button. Stupid design is stupid put the damn power button on the top!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Placement of buttons I'm not so concerned about, but I have done what you've mentioned a couple times. Especially when changing songs through my pocket.

My only physical requirement for placement is that the headphone jack be on the bottom.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
When I went from an EVO 4G to the Galaxy Nexus, I thought having the headphone jack on the bottom was really strange. Now that the Nexus 4 has it on the top again, I really miss it. Especially when listening to music while reading something on the phone.

As far as the Xperia Z goes, I agree that the power button looks pretty stupid. Otherwise the phone looks good to me. Shipping with Android 4.1, so that's not terrible, but it would be nice if more manufacturers would actually ship phones with the current version. Checking out the specs, it's funny to see the max standby time and talk time listed, but missing what I feel to be far more important: screen on time. Granted this can vary greatly depending on what you are doing when the screen is on, but it would be nice for manufacturers to start including this.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The headphone jack and the power button should not be on the same side of the phone. My HTC incredible was like that and I was always turning it on by accident while shoving it into my pocket. I don't know how it managed to unlock itself but it did quite often and then buttons would get pushed randomly on the screen, etc. I have no problem with the power button on the left side of my Galaxy Nexus. I might have turned it off by accident one or two times in the year and a half I have had it, but it's not an issue.

I think the Experia looks nice although that round power button does look like it would be easy to hit by accident.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have hard reset my HTC One X while in my pocket more than a few dozen times in the 9 months I've owned it. I rather like the button on the side. I don't have to worry about the power button being pushed on while in my jeans.