Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just ordered my Nexus 4. Looking forward to finally ditching Sprint. I plan on using straight talk on AT&T's network since TMobile's network is absolute ass in upstate NY. Hell, Sprint has only been a small step up from that.

For those of you who already have a Nexus 4, what roms would you recommend beyond the usual CM and AOKP?

Cor_sl

shitlord
I've been running stock and I'm really happy with it. I'm quite tempted to try Paranoid Android, though. The new PIE navigation system looks pretty sweet.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Honestly, that is the beauty of Android. The OS has gained so much from the plethora of developers and hackers making their devices better.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been keeping an eye on Paranoid Android ever since I heard about PIE, I just hadn't gotten around to flashing it on my gnex. That will probably be the first thing I flash on the Nexus 4. Stock android is great, but I like the various features devs add to their roms too much to use it as my daily driver.

I don't know much about Solavei,but it looks like you can keep your existing phone number. Unfortunately they sem to use TMobile's network, so they're not an option for me.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
For those who like the stock experience, they should try Rasbeanjelly. It's a light weight rom with very useful tweaks such as T9 dialer (a must for me), lockscreen shortcuts, staus bar tweaks, quick pulldown, etc. I personally like Darkbeanjelly which is the same with a different theme.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Got an iPhone 5 yesterday. Hard to believe that I had my 4 for almost 2 years. It still works well, but the 5 is light years faster. Apps load super quickly and the LTE is faster than my wifi.

I upgraded now instead of waiting for the 5S to come out this summer mostly because I'm headed out of the country this spring and the 4 doesn't have a SIM slot.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I upgraded now instead of waiting for the 5S to come out this summer mostly because I'm headed out of the country this spring and the 4 doesn't have a SIM slot.
Wait, what? Is that a CDMA iPhone 4, maybe? I've never heard of a 4 without a SIM slot, so I'm curious.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
OK, that makes sense. I thought I was going mad for a second there.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
As usual, Cydia is fucking useless on release day. If you've never jailbroken before, do yourself a favour and wait a week while shit calms down.

It is absolutely, 100% impossible to brick your iPhone with a jailbreak. The only thing that can possibly harm your phone is something that messes with the phone's baseband (like the somewhat shady unlock tools used to do, and these are no longer available). The worst you can do is require a restore to stock firmware.

Of course, if you decide to get some tool that overclocks your phone and you fry it in doing so... well, that's not exactly bricking. That's just stupidity.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As usual, Cydia is fucking useless on release day. If you've never jailbroken before, do yourself a favour and wait a week while shit calms down.

It is absolutely, 100% impossible to brick your iPhone with a jailbreak. The only thing that can possibly harm your phone is something that messes with the phone's baseband (like the somewhat shady unlock tools used to do, and these are no longer available). The worst you can do is require a restore to stock firmware.

Of course, if you decide to get some tool that overclocks your phone and you fry it in doing so... well, that's not exactly bricking. That's just stupidity.
Yeah, I can't even log into my Cydia account to download the full versions of iFile and TetherMe. Frustrating since I prefer use a smaller phone currently, but not having MMS since I can't alter my APN settings is a pain in the ass. I managed to get OpenSSH installed and can get into the System/Library/Carrier Bundles directory but I don't know which one Straight Talk uses since it's not listed under there and APNFree isn't downloading because their repo is hammered currently.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I can't even log into my Cydia account to download the full versions of iFile and TetherMe. Frustrating since I prefer use a smaller phone currently, but not having MMS since I can't alter my APN settings is a pain in the ass. I managed to get OpenSSH installed and can get into the System/Library/Carrier Bundles directory but I don't know which one Straight Talk uses since it's not listed under there and APNFree isn't downloading because their repo is hammered currently.
I was trying to grab PkgBackup so I can try to restore the package loadout from my 4s to my 5, but that's absolutely not going to happen in this state. I'm gonna have to wait at least a few days while the hurricane passes. I can't even install a couple of packages at this point and it's frustrating to try.

I'll probably just give up shortly and grab as much of the must haves as I can (sbsettings, lockinfo are on the top of my list).

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Get a tmobile sim and do the sim swap to get mms working. I updated to 6.0 first day by accident and used that method to get my mms working on straight talk. They explain the steps here:http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/?p=683

I know now that the JB is out not really necessary but some may want to stay stock and have mms working.