Smartphones

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes, rooting your device and installing a custom ROM will void your cell company warranty, but that's not technically Google's fault.
I've always found that assertion particularly hilarious, since they can't prove you've ever rooted if you do a stock restore. I suppose it's easier to assert with Android given that some of the exploits can actually lead to bricking, but you generally have to do a really good job of not reading instructions to go down that road.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ever been to a brick & mortar store? All prices are posted before recycling fees (if applicable in your state) and taxes.
no recycling fees in my state, so I've never had to deal with that, and most people generally know how much sales tax is in the area they live, since you generally deal with it every single day of your life. Cable/phone companies won't give you even a general idea of how much the taxes and fees will be(and I'm sure they know, since they have to collect them) You don't know if you're talking about $5 a month, $10, $20, or what. It's pretty crappy customer service.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I know there's rumors about a larger iPhone, but I just don't see Apple doing it. I'll be amazed if they do. So, if it doesn't happen, I'm looking at HTC's upcoming flagship phone. It looks to be a good one.

I got my hands on the redesigned EVO 4G LTE. I'm playing around with it without a service plan, just so I can catch up on the latest Android stuff. It's got Jelly Bean, and though I know it's not the newest phone, I'm very surprised at how much stuttering the OS does. I thought JB was supposed to be "buttery smooth." It's Siri-like features are not bad, but there are some every day things I do with Siri that I can't with JB. I use timers every day, so I'll tell Siri to "set a timer for 15 minutes" and she does. The Android version sets an alarm instead of a timer. If I tell Android to "show my timer" all it does is perform a Google search. Siri actually shows my timer. Little things like that. And I still say the Android version of most apps look like ass when compared to the IOS equivalent. The plus side for Android, as usual, is the customization you can do.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I know there's rumors about a larger iPhone, but I just don't see Apple doing it. I'll be amazed if they do.
The only quote I've seen from Tim Cook related directly to the larger iPhone rumour wasn't so much a denial, but a sidestep, so... who knows. The possibility may still be on the table somewhere in the back of his mind, perhaps for iPhone 6 in a couple years?

Now that the iOS jailbreak is back, I'm really enjoying my iPhone 5, but I still wouldn't mind a larger phone. I refuse to go over to Android. I can't stand the UX and, like you, I think that much of the UI/UX lacks polish.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish the would make a bigger iPhone and actually announce it now for people like me who are due an upgrade but waiting to see if they will go bigger or not. If they don't I might try a Droid.

Cor_sl

shitlord
All of the Android manufacturer skins are awful, in my opinion. They're slow, ugly and nowhere as well designed as stock. Try playing with a Nexus 4, if you can. It very rarely hitches and Google has done a great job with the stock UI. It feels very well designed and very polished. I don't miss my 4s one bit.

The app situation isn't as bad on Android as I thought it'd be. I've not had much difficulty finding great looking replacements for most of my iPhone apps. The only thing that sucks is the shitty game selection. IOS is way better on that front.

I think we'll be seeing a bigger iPhone next year for sure. I can see them releasing a bigger phone with a 4.7-4.8 inch screen and a screen res of 2272 *1280 to allow for easy porting of apps.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Of course Apple is going to release a bigger iPhone. They have to. They should have less qualms in doing that than they did in making the iPad mini. The mini cannibalized their own sales for the sake of a device with lower profit margins (than the original iPad). If they release a larger phone however, they will obviously be able to gain higher margins and we all know that's what Apple is all about.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just seems like they should come out and say they are making a bigger phone. It's really one of the reasons a lot of people are moving away from the iPhone. Atleast it seems that way

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They never come out and say anything. It's aggravating. Then again, they know that they don't really have to announce anything in advance -- people will be lining up for weeks to buy the next phone they release anyway.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
If you use an Android phone, run, don't walk, to your computer and download Snappea from snappea.com. If you haven't used it, you'll thank me later.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I downloaded it but I don't see the point of it. It'd be useful if it had Whatsapp support, I guess. Hopefully they're working on that.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I downloaded it but I don't see the point of it. It'd be useful if it had Whatsapp support, I guess. Hopefully they're working on that.
You can sync your itunes/music library easily. You down install apps, move them between internal and sd card. You can backup your phone's data and apps. Easily transfer other content to and from your phone. That's the point of it.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Been fartin' around with customizing the Evo. This is what I've done. I'd like to unlock the bootloader and root it, but completely resetting the phone would make me cry.
rrr_img_13891.jpg

Cor_sl

shitlord
You can sync your itunes/music library easily. You down install apps, move them between internal and sd card. You can backup your phone's data and apps. Easily transfer other content to and from your phone. That's the point of it.
Yeah, I get that. I can already do that stuff, though. Dropbox already uploads all my pictures when I connect to a wifi network, my itunes library is automatically uploaded to Google Music, I can remotely send apps to my phone using the Play Store and I have a backup app that stores backups on Dropbox. Maybe others will find it more useful than I did.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Is there an iCloud type service for android? With iCloud, if I get a new iPhone, all I have to do is sign in and all my apps, settings, and everything else is put on the phone exactly as it was on the old phone.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Define everything else. Apps and settings should be remember by your google account. Contacts too, IF you created them under your google account. If you had someone's phone number imported from your old phone under a carrier's app, and their email under you google account, and you just merged the two on your phone? Google is still just going to remember their email. That's why I went through the arduous process of getting all my contact data onto my google account.

Google won't save things like text messages. There are backup utilities for that, though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have never gotten my apps back after getting a new phone with android. Once I sign in with my google account all my contacts and stuff are there, but I always had to re-download the apps. Is there a way to get them back automatically?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Is there a way without rooting to have google play put the fucking music on the SD card and not the internal memory? The internet says no, but you guys are pretty smart so I though I might ask here.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have never gotten my apps back after getting a new phone with android. Once I sign in with my google account all my contacts and stuff are there, but I always had to re-download the apps. Is there a way to get them back automatically?
None at all? That's weird, I remember getting my Nexus 7 and all my apps(from the play store) loaded up. APN settings, screen timeout settings, everything. What do you have checked in "Backup & restore" in settings?