Smartphones

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Dumb T-Mobile is finally getting their asses handed to them by the FTC on bogus charges, lol.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Was expecting that when they turned off the XMPP connections to gvoice. Now I just need a way to spoof my ATT GoPhone number so when I dial out on it, it looks like my gvoice number instead.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know anything about changing IMEIs? I have a Galaxy Note 3 that I would really like to use but it was reported as stolen so Tmobile is blocking it. I've been told you can change the IMEI if you have another one that is valid. I've seen some boxes that do it for a few hundred bucks but I was wondering if there are cheaper routes.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you have another one, why not just keep the other one?

Just the economics of it, I'm not sure you would find cheaper. Pay a few hundred, or pay $600-700 for a new Note 3?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
If you have another one, why not just keep the other one?

Just the economics of it, I'm not sure you would find cheaper. Pay a few hundred, or pay $600-700 for a new Note 3?
I don't have another one, but I was thinking of buying a broken one on ebay, as long as it had a clean imei. I also know that there is a free way to do it for the note 2, so i figured there was a way for the note 3, but my google fu is failing me.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Dumb T-Mobile is finally getting their asses handed to them by the FTC on bogus charges, lol.
Shitty timing on that. Seemed to me Tmobile was just starting to hit full stride from all their advertising and plan changes.

Will be interesting, Tmobile posted a response saying they stopped such billing over a year ago offering consumers the chance to get refunds for stuff they felt was not correct. Seems to me that there is some legs to the story and they are likely to get a nice slap on the ass.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Suspicious timing on that investigation into T-mobile. I would love a more detailed explanation if these charges were from dumbfucks texting some ringtone subscription service and never cancelled or if these people got signed up unwillingly.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If T-Mobiles new music streaming has a user friendly interface it's going to have a huge impact on the other providers.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I'm leaving for a trip to Norway and Denmark on Tuesday, and I figure this is a good place for a phone-newb question. I have a Verizon LG G2 with the following specs:
Network: CDMA, GSM, LTE Band 13/4 (700/1700 MHz), CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Frequencies: CDMA 1.9 GHz/800 MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, HSPA/UMTS (850/900/1900/2100), LTE
Data Transmission: EVDO Rev 0, EVDO Rev A, 1x RTT, EDGE, GPRS Class 10, UMTS (W-CDMA), HSDPA

Where can I buy a sim card to pop in for our trip? How much do they generally cost, and how much data / minutes / texts do they generally come with? Finally, do they just come with a preassigned number that I inform my contacts of once I have it?

Thanks in advance, I am sure I can google my way to these answers but I'd rather have a direct answer from someone who's done this a lot.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty much the rest of the world uses GSM(as opposed to CDMA). But more specifically, you'll want to look up what GSM frequencies are available in the locales that you're traveling and if your phone has antennae for them. A sim card won't help you if your phone can't physically pick up the signals. Generally, companies release two flavors of phones, ones for USA markets and one for world markets. They'll both have GSM antennae but different frequencies.

If you look at the "model variants" here:

LG G2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll see there's a different LTE bands between the VZW version and global version. Looks like you'll get 3G because the GSM coverage is the same, but probably not LTE.

As for where and what sim card to buy, no idea. I've never traveled abroad.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can give reasons why I haven't adopted windows phone:
-I'm already knee-deep in the Android ecosystem. I have gmail, google drive, google calendar, etc. I imagine those systems will not be as well supported on windows phone.
-As far as I know, there isn't a relatively cheap flagship phone akin to the Nexus line.
-App support, or lack thereof.

But, I'm in the minority. I suspect it might be for 2 overwhelming reasons:
-It's not Apple.
-That interface looks weird.

Siliconemelons

Looks like people were willing to try it out...until they noticed the lack of apps.
Wow Blackberry is up in the US according to their little timeline slide-y thing.

BlackBerry just got into bed with Amazon Store and it will be part of BB 10.3 + stock, so you on your BB10 device will have access to all the amazon android apps- this makes it simple for the people who do not want to just side load the APKs.

And I linked the Andoird Nokia phone a bit back... not surprised the WP market share is showing decline.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have a windows phone, have had one since they came out and overall I love the OS. That said, even with the 8.1 Cortana update, it just can't keep up with Android. Microsoft is still playing catch up when they need to be innovating exciting new features. I don't want to be in the cellphone dark ages anymore, regardless of how much I love the OS itself.

I'm switching to Android on my next handset.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
This will turn it around for Blackberry.

rrr_img_70831.jpg