Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The EVO was one of the first LTE phones. The reason that Apple waited a year to put in LTE was so the chips could be refined and they wouldn't burn so much battery. That said, I do think that LTE iPhones have less battery life than previous models, which is not a surprise.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
The EVO was one of the first LTE phones. The reason that Apple waited a year to put in LTE was so the chips could be refined and they wouldn't burn so much battery. That said, I do think that LTE iPhones have less battery life than previous models, which is not a surprise.
Yeah, but I turned LTE off, and it still sucks.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My HTC Incredible had horrible battery life as well. I just carried a spare battery in my pocket and swapped it when it got low.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The battery life on my HTC Thunderbolt was fine. I thought the complaints about it where overblown. Then LTE became available in my area and I might as well had a land-line since I was plugged in all the time. Once I turned LTE off it was all good again.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My original EVO was a great phone, but it's battery life was ass. I ended up buying a pair of higher capacity 3rd party batteries to swap in as I needed. I'm getting good battery life out of my Nexus 4, despite the complaints I've heard about it. It lasts me a full day of light to moderate use. Granted, I rooted it and am running Paranoid Android w/ Franco kernel, which should improve things over stock. The recent update to Android 4.4.2 and the baseband have helped out, especially with the last few kernel wakelocks people were having.

Cor_sl

shitlord
The stock 4.2.2 kernel is excellent. I've been going 48 hours between charges and getting 2hr30-2hr45m screen on time with my Nexus 4. It's not quite as good as Franco's kernel but it's good enough for me.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Unplugged it this morning at 7am. By 9am the battery had lost a whopping 14%! I had not touched the phone at all. It was idle the entire time. Battery usage says Maps used 40% of that. What is Maps doing when the phone is idle?

I can't swap the battery. The redesigned LTE model has it sealed in.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, wow. That's absolutely shitty. Does it use data for its location services or does it have built-in GPS? If it's constantly tracking where you are via LTE/3G, I can see it losing that much in 2 hours, but still... ouch.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So how reliable is this info from Forbes?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsha...or-prime-time/

They are saying the Galaxy S4 is suffering some problems and has had to change the processor as well as the screen because of it. Actually there is another article that says some of the same things

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galax...event-new-york

I was holding out for the S4, but I hope they didn't have to cut back on too many features if that is true. Maybe I will check out the HTC One of that is the case. Dunno!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Unplugged it this morning at 7am. By 9am the battery had lost a whopping 14%! I had not touched the phone at all. It was idle the entire time. Battery usage says Maps used 40% of that. What is Maps doing when the phone is idle?

I've found, at least with my Nexus 10 anyways, that occasionally powering it off and then giving it a fresh boot will significantly reduce idle battery drain. Android doesn't seem to do a great job of keeping apps that aren't being used from keeping the phone/tablet awake or otherwise burning through battery once they've been used a few times. I came across that because the Nexus 10 was pretty rapidly draining the battery, even when going unused for days at a time with WiFi off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't that kill the primary advantage of push email? I want to know when email comes in without having to look at my phone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Wouldn't that kill the primary advantage of push email? I want to know when email comes in without having to look at my phone.
Even making it run a check once every 2 min would still save battery life. If you absolutely have to know the instant an email comes in, this doesn't seem like the phone for you.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think that's how push email works. My Exchange password expired over the weekend and it was only bugging me about it every 10 minutes. And that was probably for the account syncing, not the actual new email.

However, if you implement that hamfisted approach, you'll be killing a lot of the nicer features of a smartphone. Push email was just the first one that came to mind. Get BetterBatteryStats and figure what is keeping your phone awake instead of SHUTTING. DOWN. EVERYTHING. If you're running a default HTC image, it's probably one of the SenseUI apps coupled with the 40nm LTE modem.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I upgraded to the iPhone 5. I haven't had much time to mess around on it but damn it's sexy.
The one thing that struck me most about the 5 is its weight relative to the 4/4s. It doesn't seem to get as hot when it's busy, either, although I've only been able to make it heat up appreciably when doing Stupid Jailbreak Shit to it so far. Under normal circumstances, it seems to behave a lot better than the 4s.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

When Maps is using the most battery, it usually means Location Services are enabled. Disabling location services in both the main Settings menu and through Google Maps should help you out.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've taken to using some automateit (similar to Tasker) profiles to do a few things that have helped out my battery life a bit on my N4.

When within range of certain cell towers - activate WiFi
When leaving range of certain cell towers - disable WiFi
When WiFi is connected to specific SSIDs - disable GSM data connection
When Maps app is open - Enable GPS
When Maps app is closed - Disable GPS

These 5 have been my "main" profiles that I've created so far. We'll see how well they work. I also picked up Greenify and then turned Maps into a User app instead of a System app and I can force Greenify to close Maps when it's been idle a certain amount of time.

Sure, these things are a bit overboard, but I'm in an area with TERRIBLE signal quality (I swear to god I'm in a bunker) - I'm still only getting ~2%/hr drain on my battery with 2x GMail accounts, a very active Exchange account, full Facebook sync, a Twitter client syncing and multiple widgets running on my launcher.

I've upgraded to the latest baseband on my phone as I don't need the ability to enable LTE and have moved to the Faux123 kernel and the Feb 24th build of PAOSP.

I really can't complain about things. Hell, I could underclock and run on two cores smoothly and bump down my power consumption even more, but I just don't see a need to do that right now.

Edit: PIE controls in PAOSP are amazing. They take a little getting used to, but goddamn is it a pretty solution that allows you to get some more screen space.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
This is why I bang on Android all the time. It is not a mature OS if I have to keep all its features turned off. If I have to turn off push mail, location services, maps, Google Now, and god knows what else, I may as well use a flip phone from 7 years ago.

On my iPhone, I can keep everything turned on all day long and still have battery left when I go to bed. I'm trying to like Android because I like the bigger screen, but damn, this ain't good. Even new android phones have this issue, as evidenced buy others in this thread.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I don't know if it's the OS when I don't have the problem on my S3. My battery outlasts the iPhone I owned previously. My wife broke her windows phone and I still had my old iPhone so I set her up on it. Suddenly it can't hold a charge for 6 hours, there is clearly something wrong with it.

Anecdotal evidence, right?